Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > what to do in Kensington palace to stave off jet lag?

what to do in Kensington palace to stave off jet lag?

Feb 21st, 2006, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

what to do in Kensington palace to stave off jet lag?

how/where to best stave off jet lag? arrive on March 8th in Gatwick @ 0830-can't check into Kensington Palace area hotel before 1400.
thanks
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:45 AM

Get on a tour bus for a few hours - after dumping your luggage at Victoria station left luggage
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:17 AM

Go to the hotel and leave your luggage. Get something to eat and either go for a walk to hop on the tour bus as Alan suggested. I seriously doubt you will be so jet lagged that you are unable to function. Jump in and enjoy London and you'll be straightened around in no time.
Feb 21st, 2006, 04:39 AM
AllyPally

Hi Lassie - by the time you arrive at your hotel, you may only have 4 hours til check-in. The hotel may let you check in early? I would head straight there - at least then you can dump your bags. How were you planning to get to your hotel? I live in Kensington so have a train tip for you - but only useful if you were planning to take the Gatwick Express to Victoria. Is it your first time in London?

Feb 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

sound like useful suggestions-can we get a bus tour @ the station? Is it a real tour or a city bus?
I didn't know about luggage storage there @ the station.
also, will call hotel to see if we can leave luggage til we can check in if not, then bus tour will be great!
reply to allypally:
you have a tip re the express train?
we are planning to take the train from gatwick in to London Victoria.
yes-first trip for one couple , 2nd for the other(after 20 years).
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:41 PM

lassie, I have never had a hotel refuse to keep my bags until check in if the room isn't ready for occupancy when I arrive (and often it has been available). They always have kept bags after check out if I am not leaving the area immediately. You will get a receipt for the left bags.
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM

I have almost always been allowed to check in to the hotel early. It's worth a try, especially if it is a larger hotel.

They can't guarantee it in advance though, so you won't know for sure until you show up at the front desk. I do sometimes email them in advance that I will be arriving in the morning and would appreciate an early check in if at all possible.

The hotel will hold your bags before check in or after check out, with no problem.
Feb 24th, 2006, 06:47 AM

The "train tip" may be that you can take a regular train instead of the Gatwick Express and save a bit of money (maybe 9 pounds vs 14 pounds).

Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM

Drop your bags and go for a walk in Kensington Gardens. Gorgeous. Walk to the palace. That is, if it's not raining. Otherwise, maybe they'll let you crash in the lounge.

The idea of a bus tour is a good one, too. London is so amazing, it'll keep you awaye!

Search this Thread