Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   what to do in Italy for one week in Jan. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-do-in-italy-for-one-week-in-jan-998138/)

Carolynfamilytours Nov 18th, 2013 08:09 AM

what to do in Italy for one week in Jan.

My sister and I will be staying in Italy one more week after everyone else has gone home we are on our own Ideas of what to? I wanted to take her to Pienza but most of the hotels are closed. we are going to Rome, Florence and Siena with the family before.Thank You in advance for any advice.

nytraveler Nov 18th, 2013 09:43 AM

Venice?

Michael Nov 18th, 2013 09:56 AM

Use Bologna as a hub for day trips to Ferrara, Ravenna, Faenza, Parma, etc.

tuscanlifeedit Nov 18th, 2013 09:57 AM

Venice is good, or Venice and Milan? Or Bologna and Venice, or Venice and Verona, or Padua, or Ferrara, or any combination thereof.

Where are you flying out of?

tuscanlifeedit Nov 18th, 2013 09:58 AM

I wish we had a "like" button. I would like to like Michael's suggestion.

dfourh Nov 18th, 2013 10:01 AM

Man, that Bologna daytrip idea sounds great. Last time I was there I wanted to do Mantua (Mantova) too, but didn't make it.

DRJ Nov 18th, 2013 10:04 AM

If you opt for the Bologna base, I can give you information on the BEST apartment in the city.

jette_fergo Nov 18th, 2013 10:12 AM

Stay in Rome

PalenQ Nov 18th, 2013 10:27 AM

Venice by all means - it may be carnival and you'll see lots of costumned masked folks walking all over town as I did a few Januarys back.

Bologna is also a great town - Vicenza and Padua are nice easy day trips from Venice and each have stellar attractions in their own right - Vicenza a pervasive Palladian architecture and Padua some neat churches and a lively town center.

Try the roasted chestnuts you'll see being sold all over at this time.

Marija Nov 18th, 2013 10:45 AM

DRJ, I'd love to know the BEST apartment in Bologna. Thanks!

kathtravels Nov 18th, 2013 11:52 AM

Another vote for Bologna. When I was there did a ton of day trips---easy for Venice, Ravenna, Parma, Padua, Modena, Mantua. So many choices----but also give yourself enough time to roam around Bologna itself which has lots to see and small museums that are in charming palazzos. I's suggest an apartment near Piazza Maggiore.

Carolynfamilytours Nov 19th, 2013 07:19 AM

I want to Thank all of you so much for your Ideas. It might just be Bologna. Take a train to Bologna than maybe tours up to parma etc. or a car ?????

Carolynfamilytours Nov 19th, 2013 10:21 AM

I want to Thank all of you so much for your ideas. It might just be Bologna. Should we take a train and take tours from there or should we rent a car. again Thank you

nochblad Nov 19th, 2013 11:36 AM

Honestly, has any of these posters have any idea how bitterly cold (and wet) Bologna and Venice can be in January.

In winter you have to distinguish between dry cold and wet cold.