Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do in a week in Paris..in AUGUST!

Jul 4th, 2001, 04:55 PM
K

So I'm going to Paris to see family. My itenerary includes a day trip to London, and one to Bordeaux. I will have the mornings to myself, though, and at least one or two nights. What's a 23 yr male old to do, at a time that appears the city will not be at its peak? Would appreciate any ideas!
Cheers.

Jul 4th, 2001, 05:22 PM
s.fowler

Well 'K' -- what are your interests? The Seine will still be there... tehearchitecture will still be there and the museums will be open. A number of restaurants will be closed, but most tourist activities are up and running.

Jul 8th, 2001, 01:05 PM
bob

For god's sake, but Fodor's guide to Paris, cancel your day trips and thank you're lucky stars that you're going to the most spectacular city in the world.

Visit: Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Musee D'orsay, Notre Dame, the Latin Quarter, do a boat ride on the Seine, shop on the Champs Elysee, Moulin Rouge, Sacre-Coueur.....

Are you humbled yet? Have a good time.

Jul 8th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Alex

Paris in August is fabulous. Spend a couple of days at Musee D'Orsay, Tour Eiffel, and the other big sites and then GET LOST. Go out to the 13 and 17 arrondisements, where no tourists ever go, and roam the artsy, local neighborhoods for an opportunity to really get to know the local, hip side of Paris.

Jul 8th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Ursula

Go up La Grande Arche at La Défense and do visit the Institut du Monde Arabe. From both places you will have a terrific view just like from the terrace of the Centre Pompidou. Hop on a public bus and see where you end up. I do recommend the Nr. 63 (from Jardin des Plantes or Institut du Monde Arabe) which takes you all over Paris until the Place du Trocadéro where I would get off. From the outdoor-restaurant at the Musée de l'Homme at Palais Chaillot (Trocadéro) you will have the most spectacular view to the Champs-de-Mars and the Eiffel Tower.
For some attractions that will be on while you are there, check out:
www.parisavenue.com

Jul 8th, 2001, 01:47 PM
jhm

During the summer, there is usually a fair in the grounds in front of the Louvre. Have yourself a terrific dinner, and go on the ferris wheel for a wonderful view of Paris. I envy you!

Jul 8th, 2001, 03:23 PM
StCirq

A day trip to Bordeaux? Are you flying?