Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do for a few hours by Victoria or Waterloo station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 1999, 07:07 AM
Carol Lehrman

We have a few hours enroute to Paris (by chunnel), and can be either by Victoria or Waterloo stations (probably Waterloo). <BR> <BR>Any ideas for things to do by the station (shops, restaurants, low-key attractions) <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Carol

Old May 11th, 1999, 02:24 PM
Kavwy

From all my many journeys through Waterloo Station I have to say it is not a pleasant place, but it is sadly where the Eurostar to PAris leaves from. <BR> <BR>Victoria Station at least encompasses a shopping centre which could occupy you for an hour or so. <BR> <BR>Perhaps you could walk over Waterloo bridge for view of river or walk alongside river. I am awful - I travel the world but see little of London (sick of it after work just want to get out) but I recall reading about books which describe Thameside walks in central London...?

Old May 11th, 1999, 06:50 PM
Ron

The immediate environs of Waterloo Station may indeed be a wasteland (unless there is something of interest happening at the Festival Hall, Queen Elizabeth Hall or Royal National Theatre), but a 20 min walk across the Hungerford Bridge and you are in Trafalgar Square, with St Martin's in the Fields, National and National Portrait Galleries, pigeons, pubs, restaurants, etc. Or only slightly further south past the County Hall and across the Westminster Bridge and you are at the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. <BR> <BR>Enjoy

Old May 12th, 1999, 01:41 PM
Ronn

You do have to leave out of Waterloo Station; so I agree with the previous posting. Walk over to Trafalgar Square and maybe visit the National Gallery for a while. Or take the tube from Waterloo on the Northern line a few stops and go to Covent Gardens. You can get something to eat here and watch the crowds. IF you enjoy art, the National Galleries can definitely entertain you for a few hours.

Old May 13th, 1999, 06:16 AM
Carol Lehrman

Thanks everyone for the above posts - its exactly what I needed to know. We'll definately do one of the above! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 13th, 1999, 06:22 AM
Harriett

Carol, <BR>The hotel where my husband and I stayed on our first visit to London last year was very near Victoria Station. The shopping area in the station itself could've been anywhere in America, as I recall, but there were some nice pubs nearby, and a few blocks away were some really interesting little shops, so you might spend some time just wandering that neigborhood as well.

Old May 13th, 1999, 06:36 AM
Jo

Or, about half way between Victoria and Waterloo (not too far a walk from Waterloo) closest Tube is Embankment, is the River Thames with a lovely floating pub boat permanently moored there (Queen Mary). A good place to have lunch and relax for a couple of hours. From there you could take a circular cruise boat trip taking in some sights, and relaxing at the same time. <BR>