Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to check out what is near your hotel? Pictures and maps for Paris.

Sep 7th, 2001, 08:19 AM
marge

Great for checking out what's in the area around your hotel.

http://wfa.pagesjaunes.fr/rc.cgi?lan...lan&NIV_PLAN=1

Sep 7th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Howard

Sorry, Marge, but I can't agree with you. All this site shows you are those business that advertise on the site's yellow pages!
Marge, I think you have a vested interest in this website's business, hm???

Sep 7th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Ursula

Howard: I really have to disagree with you. Pagesjaunes is terrific if you want to have a look at a very specific place like a hotel or a restaurant which you can see, at least the outside of the building.
I use www.pagesjaunes.fr very often. Just type in names required, street, Paris and 75 for the department.The maps however are not terrible.

I prefer www.ratp.fr where you can print out very detailled maps with street numbers, exits of metro stops and bus stops in a particular street.

I did not use the url given by Marge, but use the portal of pagesjaunes.

Sep 7th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Howard

Ursala, since posting my comment, I've discovered that some people to swear by the website. However, when I logged onto the site given and then checked the address of the hotel where we'll be staying, all I found were listings of occupants of some of the buildings on the street, and these listings of businesses seemed like ads to me!
I'll be very happy to be convinced otherwise!

Sep 7th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Peg

Howard, You must then click on photo or plan and you will get a photo or map. You can "walk" up and down the street with a click of the mouse! You just didn't realize the potential of this site. It's great and I've used it for Lyon, too. Have fun!

Sep 7th, 2001, 06:14 PM
sandy c

marge,

great tip! howard, really, you need to give it a second chance. i clicked on the area my hotel was in and it gave me a second map. i then clicked on the street my hotel was on, and voila! i got to see where i would be staying! from all angles, not just the one they show on THEIR website. its a wonderful area, great shops.

i then clicked here and there and now i know where a pharmacy is on another street, a cafe just around the corner. i know where the metro station is now.

this is a wonderful site!

marge, many thanks!

sandy c

howard, just a question? even if marge represents the site, if it is a great site, i don't have a problem with it. give it a second chance, please?

Sep 7th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Sean

That website link has been posted on this forum many times, the first time was about 3 years ago by either Maria or Lisa. I am surprised you'd never seen it before, Howard?

Sep 8th, 2001, 04:52 AM
Howard

I've been humbled!
When I first logged into the site yesterday, I evidentally made a mistake somewhere along the line and probably did get what I originally thought, namely, the commercial yellow pages.
I tried it again this morning, and voila, you are all correct! My most humble apologies to Marge and my thanks for prodding me to try again!
You--Marge, Ursala and Peg--are right on the mark. It is, indeed, a useful sight.
I've already checked out the site for the area around the hotel where I have reservations and another hotel that I might select instead. And, thanks in part to this site, I think I'll make a switch!
Sean, I never noted the site before because I'm now in the opening stages of the "serious" planning of our May 2002 trip to Paris.
And, again, thanks to you all for urging me to give it another try!

Sep 8th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Howard

Oops, forgot to also thank Sandy C, who was probably the "best" prodder of all!

Sep 8th, 2001, 09:37 AM
marge

Thanks, Just trying to past along info that I have not seen posted on the board since I started hanging out here every day.

I would suggest that it doesn't hurt to have sites like pagesjaunes.fr mentioned from time to time.

Howard, I live in Las Vegas not Paris just trying to find a hotel for next April. Apology excepted.