Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to carry when walking around in cities? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-carry-when-walking-around-in-cities-277744/)

David Dec 5th, 2002 07:34 AM

What to carry when walking around in cities?

now i know that all of my money and credit cards and passports should go into a moneybelt for the safest of keeping, but what do you recommend for carry a normal sized camera, maps, etc. are small backapacks ok? opinions from anyone, or personal experiences?

Alice Twain Dec 5th, 2002 07:43 AM

Forget about moneybelts, they are not worth much. I have been living in Italy for my whole life and never have been robbed once. Take just as much money as you will need for the day and keep them in a wallet with ONE credit card or Atm card. I keep everything in a bag, while in the occasional crown just lay a had across the bag so that nobody tries to open it up. As I said before, I have never been robbed once in my whole life in Italy, the only time someone tried to do it, he was so clumsy that it was impossible not to notice him. No backpacks, though, they are no good because you have no control over them, they could be opened by someone standing behind you very easily.

Liz Dec 5th, 2002 07:50 AM

Alice, you usually give good advice, but you're wrong about this.<BR><BR>Thieves just KNOW who the locals are. I've seen them in action, for peace of mind, use a money belt for anything other than what you will use that day.

xxx Dec 5th, 2002 07:54 AM

<BR><BR>David, with all due respect to Ms. Twain, whose advice I usually like, forget about her advice about forgetting about moneybelts. <BR><BR>A moneybelt is not an absolute guarantee that your cash/credit cards/ATM card won't be lifted by an especially gifted pickpocket (or stolen if you're mugged), but they are very much worth it.<BR><BR>As for maps, books, etc. they can usually be replaced rather easily, so you can carry them in a less protected manner. <BR><BR>I carry two cameras, small compact 35mm and regular 35mm with a normal lens. The small ones goes in a zippered pocket inside my jacket, and I carry the regular one on a strap on my shoulder. The only on my shoulder could easily be grabbed by someone but it's not an expensive camera, I have the smaller one as a backup and, so far, it hasn't been grabbed.

ron Dec 5th, 2002 08:01 AM

I too have never found the need for a money belt (although I have transported one back and forth across the Atlantic about a dozen times before I gave it away to someone who would use it). Wallet in front pant pocket, passport in buttoned or velcroed shirt pocket or zipped inside jacket packet, camera, extra clothing, book, maps, bottle of water in top fill, draw string type daypack/rucksack.

Alice Twain Dec 5th, 2002 08:01 AM

I am no more a local in Rome or in Genoa than yoiu are. And I have never fel much at risk of being robbed there too. All you have to do is NOT LOOK WORRIED! Relax and everything will be right.

xxx Dec 5th, 2002 08:08 AM

<BR><BR>Anyone remember the San Francisco cop, Gerry, who used to post here? After many trips to Europe, he finally got his wallet lifted while in Rome and, as I recall, swore he'd never use a wallet again.

elaine Dec 5th, 2002 08:26 AM

I am happy (and lucky) to say that my record of not becoming the victim of a crime while traveling remains intact. <BR><BR>On the plane, my light-weight black microfiber totebag is my combination carry-on and purse. While traveling, different things go in it and it is my daily purse. It has several internal zippered pockets. Men can carry their wallets and passports in front, inside pockets, or in a female companion’s closed tote bag, or in a camera bag or other &quot;manly&quot; bag that has internal pockets that close. When I leave a sales counter or an atm where I’ve just used my wallet, I take an extra few seconds to put my money away and put my wallet deep inside my tote bag. When I'm in public places I walk with my bag closed of course, and held close to my body, yet I always feel comfortable. I leave excess cards, cash, and such in the hotel safe, and I have photocopies of the important pages of my passport kept separately from the passport itself. If I need to consult a map or thumb through a guidebook, I step inside somewhere or sit down somewhere, not stand on the street or in the metro looking distracted and vulnerable.<BR><BR>I live in a large city and perhaps those of us who do are unfortunately more used to daily caution and awareness of our surroundings, developing more of a 6th sense, but without walking around feeling scared or paranoid. <BR><BR>I have never used money belts or security wallets at home or while traveling. I do think that backpacks are too accessible to others, I don't want my stuff dangling behind me, but that's a personal call. <BR><BR>When I made my first trip to Rome I came close to considering a security wallet for the first time because I'd read so much about crime. I didn't buy the wallet, and I was fine. I saw no hint of crime, although I was once approached by a couple of urchins whom I waved away before they got close.<BR><BR>I think people should take whatever precautions they feel are necessary for their well being and enjoyment.<BR>

kayd Dec 5th, 2002 08:51 AM

David, I agree that you should keep the valuables very close to your skin(I use a neck pouch instead of a moneybelt).<BR><BR>For the camera, guidebook, umbrella, and binocs, I often use a lightweight soft briefcase, either a well worn LandsEnd canvas or a cheap synthetic promotional version acquired full of convention-attendee materials -- always black. My reasons: it doesn't scream &quot;tourist&quot; as loudly as some other bags might; one-hand and across-the-chest carrying options; cheap and not very heavy; qualifies as a &quot;personal item&quot; for carry-on purposes.<BR><BR>I don't use backpacks because I don't want my bag visible to everyone but me. Large totes work OK but don't have the long-strap option and also don't look terribly chic on men.

Mom Dec 5th, 2002 08:58 AM

Hi David, <BR>my son travels all over the world (for fun!) and has his money safekeeping down pat. When he has to carry cash , he keeps it in a moneybelt. He also carries,all the time, a lightweight &quot;backpack&quot; that has one strap that goes across the chest, you can carry the bag on your back or in front. it has velcro and zip fasteners, that is where he keeps his mobile, camera and maps. so far, knock wood, he has never been robbed.

flygirl Dec 5th, 2002 09:05 AM

honestly, I dress like a local would, carry a purse slung over my shoulder, maybe a camera but I put it in a pocket - I usually get stopped to give directions, but never have I had a problem.<BR><BR>in most parts of Europe, take out for the day what you would when going for a city walk, at home.

Laura Dec 5th, 2002 09:21 AM

In my trips to Europe I have never used a money belt and I think they are stupid. Just be aware of your stuff and your surroundings. People talk about all the crime in Europe, well there is crime in the US and I have never felt the need to use a money belt when I go to Disneyland which is loaded with tourists. Stop neing so paranoid people.

Mel Dec 5th, 2002 09:29 AM

I do carry a moneybelt and here's why: If I'm at home and my credit cards or wallet gets lifted, it's easy and quick to get them phoned in and replaced--or to get home easily without them. If I'm overseas and that happens it's a bit more of a hassle and takes valuable time away from my limited vacation. I don't need my passport to get home from Philadelphia to the midwest, but I will need it to get home from London, Rome, etc. <BR><BR>As for &quot;being observant and careful,&quot; I can be a little less careful when looking at beautiful monuments and touring because I'm wearing a moneybelt. It lets me relax and just enjoy my vacation.<BR><BR>By the way, my guide in Rome, who'd been living and working there as a guide for years, had her purse ripped from her shoulder by someone on a Vespa as she crossed a street. It can happen anywhere. Why not be better safe than sorry? Moneybelts are so comfortable (I wear mine with the pouch in the small of my back) I never even think about it!<BR><BR>

Greta Dec 5th, 2002 10:05 AM

I always carry a backpack just because it's so convenient and comfortable. I always spend hours and hours walking around sightseeing and I know a shoulder bag would kill me after a couple of hours. How do you ladies stand it? I know backpacks are not a good idea. A woman in my office had her wallet stolen out of her backpack in Paris.

tee Dec 5th, 2002 10:16 AM

This is a hoot: Normally intelligent people telling David to forget a money belt or that moneybelts are &quot;stupid.&quot; Just cop an antitude and the thiefs will ignore you (but you apparently will be stopped repeatedly by locals asking directions). Right. David: do what you want, but the moneybelt is a good idea. Will you need it? Hopefully not, but it isn't there for all the times you DIDN'T need it. Some of this advice is kind of like suggesting you leave your home unlocked while on vacation, as long as you leave a light on. Someone PROBABLY won't burglarize your house, because your house has never been burlarized before and it looks like someone is home. But...

A Dec 5th, 2002 10:43 AM

I carried money &amp; such in a moneybelt (which was much more comfortable than I expected). I carried a VERY small purse with a long strap across my body... held daily cash &amp; cc, &amp; tissues. Rest of our junk was in a backpack so we could take turns carrying it (no way he would take a turn carrying a purse!). Had our waterbottles, tour books, small umbrella, extra film, etc. Carried it in front on metros. Yes, we looked like tourists. Guess what...we ARE tourists! I liked the comfort and convenience of a small backpack.

europeangirl Dec 6th, 2002 05:45 AM

Living in Europe, I never wear a money belt here nor anywhere else. I would just feel terribly stupid.<BR><BR>Just be alert and careful, especially when using public transportation, etc.<BR><BR>Now before Christmas, pickpockets also love the department stores. Just watch you bag, that's all.<BR><BR>In restaurants, movie theaters, etc., don't put your bag on the floor, nor hang it on the chair.

Karen Dec 6th, 2002 05:48 AM

We used a money belt in Paris, and when a woman reached into my husbands inside jacket pocket as he got on the train, we were very glad he only had a laminated map in that pocket. And people did ask us for directions too.

SA Dec 6th, 2002 06:09 AM

I always wear a moneybelt &amp; take a small backpack as well - In which I keep a small disposable camera, guidebooks, ponchos, maps, etc. To not use one is asking for trouble.. I have been approached by gypsies in Florence &amp; followed by some unsavory types in Rome as well but have not lost anything as yet.. By the way, having someone asking for directions is often used as a diversion while thier accomplice empties your pockets. Most importantly - be aware of your surroundings.

Liz Dec 6th, 2002 06:31 AM

When we visited with cousins in Vienna last spring, they were shocked to hear our pickpocket stories, because it never happens to them.<BR><BR>I assure you, we do everything &quot;right&quot;, but pickpockets know their job, and they pick out the tourists easily. We've lost nothing, because we're alert, and because the inportant stuff is under our clothes.