Reload this Page >

What to buy in Paris

Search

What to buy in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 08:42 AM
james

What to buy in Paris

What's good to buy in Paris? I'm from the east coast US.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 09:12 AM
elaine

perfume, crystal, interesting hardware (knobs, etc), <BR>bed linens, art books, jams, jellies, mustards, herbs, teas, cookies,antiques, <BR>French cds, lavender products, candles, fashion items... <BR>

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 09:32 AM
Jen

Persillade - a mixture of spices you can't get (or recreate for that matter) in the US. Great on EVERYTHING. You can find it in normal grocery stores. Garlic, onion, parsley, pepper - it's great!

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 10:46 AM
Lori

Silk Scarves (from the vendors outside of Galleries Lafayette <BR>Cheap Artwork )from the book vendors along the Seine <BR>Painting (s)- from the artists near Sacre Couer <BR>Wine & Champagne <BR>Mustards <BR>Ticky Tacky Eiffel Towers - gotta have em <BR>Used books - from the vendors along the Seine <BR>Cheese <BR>Pastries <BR>Bread <BR>Anything scented <BR>Limoges <BR>Gault <BR>etc, etc etc

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 12:11 PM
Diane

We went into a bicycle shop and bought our teenage son a "racer's shirt" with advertising all over it -- Turned out to be a big hit with the girls Oh yes, and CHOCOLATES

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 12:15 PM
Kathy

Does anyone know what the restrictions are for food being brought into the US from France? Aside from raw meats and produce, is it okay to bring in cheese, pate, etc.?? Thanks for any info.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:02 PM
Miane

CLOTHES: check the department stores Galeries Lafayette and Printemps on boulevard Haussmann, plus the many boutiques throughout Paris. <BR>FOOD: check the expensive-chichi shops Fauchon and Hediard on Place de la Madeleine, or Lafayette Gourmet on boulevard Haussmann <BR>DELICACIES: macarons from Laduree (rue Royale) of pralines from Comtesse de sevigne (Place de la Madeleine) <BR>UNUSUALS: bought from the various "puces" (fleamarkets) such as Porte de Montreuil. <BR>USUAL: a little Eiffel tower, at any stand (ooops!)

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:17 PM
herself

James, <BR>I always have to buy Perfume in France. The scent last much longer than the same brand bought in the USA. I also fill by carry on with wine. Again, much different than the French wine we buy in the States. No Sulfite are added, ie, no headaches the next day. <BR>To Elaine, <BR>Knobs???? Now you have my interest. Where? Have not found knobs on anyones buying list. You are the best.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:38 PM
elvira

oo, kathy, you're into a grey area here. TECHNICALLY, you are not supposed to bring back any meat product whatsoever BUT there's this vague area about 'canned meat' and hard sausages. Foie gras is also technically not to be brought in, yet one can buy French pate de foie gras in the U.S. Cured cheeses can be brought in (like ementhal) but not soft cheeses like brie. I've never brought back any cheeses, figuring with my luck I'd be stuck in an airport for 24 hours, and I would be praying Security would destroy my unattended bag. <BR> <BR>If you know before you leave which food products you'd like to bring back, call the USDA and get an opinion. If you have any question at all about a product you see while on your trip, don't buy it.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 02:45 PM
betsy

I bought cheese in the CDG duty free shop and had no trouble bringing it back to the US. <BR> <BR>Have also brought back hard (pecorino) cheese from Italy that I did not buy at the airport. Next time, I want to take an empty suitcase and fill it with Italian cheese. <BR> <BR> <BR>Bon voyage <BR> <BR>