Reload this Page >

What to buy in Italy and Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 12:09 PM
Debi

We're leaving in 2 weeks to visit a few places in Italy and Greece. Since I have never been to either place before, I want to be sure that when shopping for "souvenirs", that I look for the items that are really special from these places. The places we are going to in Italy are: Rome, Taormina, Venice and Bari. In Greece we're going to Mykonos, Santorini and Athens. Here's what I know to look for so far: <BR>Italy: Cameos, leather goods, gold jewelry, Murano glass <BR>Greece: Gold jewelry, scarves, local artist's work in Mykonos. <BR>What am I missing? Any suggestions? <BR>And yes, I am one of those shopping people... but I also plan to do alot of Christmas shopping while I'm there.....

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Carol

I haven't been to Italy in years but I was in Greece recently and I found lots of tiles very inexpensive there. They make nice gifts. They have books there in Athens that show the ruins of the Parthenon and other sites in Greece and it has overlays that show how they looked then and the bottom page shows how they look now. They are very nice books for about $30. I wish I had bought a larg one but I picked up smaller ones that show Delphi and the Parthenon. There are so many small things to buy in Greece that it's just overwhelming. They have nice quality T-shirts there if you want that type of souvenir for someone. There are paintings and there are plates for the walls and all sorts of small things that make nice little souvenirs for people at work, etc. They also have soaps. In Athens, I found the most souvenirs in the Plaka area. <BR>Have a great trip. <BR>Carol

Old May 1st, 2000, 07:02 AM
Lily

Debi, <BR>This will sound really weird but...if you ever wear pantyhose you will find the best in the world in Italy! I stock up every time I'm there. Check out the samples at any large department store.

Old May 1st, 2000, 07:52 AM
elvira

Ok, so I'm a foodie; therefore, my suggestions will be culinary in nature: <BR> <BR>In both countries, olive oil, olives and olive wood spoons or salad utensils <BR> <BR>In Greece: jarred grape leaves; honey; sea salt; preserved lemons; olive oil soap; small, decorative bottles of local eau de vie; sea salt. <BR> <BR>In Italy: wine and grappa; canned tomatoes and sauce; cookies; balsamic vinegar; pasta (look for the unusual shapes you can't find at home). <BR> <BR>

Old May 1st, 2000, 08:11 AM
santachiara

In Italy, visit the kitchen stores. They have hundreds of items that are unique and fun. Some friends recently bought ceramic wine-bottle stoppers, which are wonderfully portable and unique. They also bought handmade ceramic Christmas decorations. Usually the stores will wrap them in bubble wrap for you. If you every have the yen for a silver-plated chestnut peeler, you can get it here. Also linen stores are fun too. These are stores devoted to napkins, tableclothes, bedspreads, pillowcases, that sort of thing. Again, wonderful gifts that are easy to transport. Most regions have their own patterns, so you could also bring something back unique to a particular region. The material and handwork is usually very high quality. For your own purchases, I agree with the above poster about pantyhose. Also the underwear here is incredibly luscious and feminine. It puts Victoria's Secret to shame. <BR> <BR>And cosmetic stores are meccas here, at least in Northern Italy. They have all the European brands plus dozens I have never heard of. <BR> <BR>Also, try a hardware store (ferramenta). They have brass keychains and keyhooks, as well as ceramic and metal house-number plates, esecially the blue numbers on white, unique door knobs, door knockers and chest of drawer pulls. <BR>

Old May 1st, 2000, 11:29 AM
Debi

These are some great suggestions - I'm building my Christmas list! I got one other idea from someone I work with - enameled jewelry - evidently Italy is very well known for their quality. Any other suggestions - much appreciated. <BR>

Old May 1st, 2000, 06:50 PM
Sharon

Debi, <BR>We were in Rome 18 months ago and are still sorry that we did not buy more men's ties. They have beautiful silk ties and you can get them for $6 - $7 each. My husband bought one and wears it all the time. He gets lots of compliments on it and the fact that it comes from Italy makes it very special. If you have men to buy presents for, don't pass them up. Also, they have beautiful women's scarves. Same thing there, they are very reasonable. Just a thought for you to consider.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 02:00 AM
marty

I am headed back to Italy next month. When I have been there before, I have never been able to find Christmas ornaments. I will be in Florence and Venice this time. Where should I look?

Old May 2nd, 2000, 02:42 AM
Mike Miller

Rome is great for inexpensive mens silk ties and leather belts. I bought some from a street vendor on Via Natzionale for $5 each - what a deal! In Venice, we bought some small items of glassware for gifts. The wrapped candies and small fish make ideal, inexpensive gifts for your friends. My wife also found some good deals on ladies clothing in Rome. If you get to Florence, leather is what you want to look for.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 05:03 PM
Elsa

Hi, <BR> <BR>Ceramics are great in Italy and Venician glass jewelry, etc. in Venice. <BR> <BR>We just sent home some things from Italy, and someone called today from the US customs and duty office saying that we had to send a check for the duty due. I was surprised about this as the sales person didn't memtion this to us. Had I known, I would have found space in my luggage or carry-on. The store was in Sorrento and they sell all kinds of goods. When we had things sent home from Ireland a couple of years ago, we didn't have to pay duty - unless we paid it up front in Ireland. Regardless, that is something to check on if you decide to send anything home. <BR> <BR>Elsa

Old May 3rd, 2000, 06:19 AM
Brian in Atlanta

If you visit a vineyard in Italy, sample their vinegars (if they've received approval to make them). You'll find some wonderfully different aromas (nutty, spicy, etc.) <BR> <BR>And try to bring home some good, fresh olive oil. Most Italians will not use olive oil that is more than a year old and they find it surprising that we do not have freshness dates on the oil we have in the states.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 09:06 AM
Debi

Elsa brought up an interesting point in her response. Do you have the choice of paying the duty up front when you're shipping things back to the states? It was my plan to ship some large glass pieces back from Venice - and I would like to take care of the expense when I buy it. Any suggestions? <BR>Also - any specific kind (or brand) of ceramics that are extra special - or is everything good?

Old May 3rd, 2000, 12:54 PM
Elsa

I can't say whether there is name of ceramics that is particularly good. I didn't notice a lot of ceramics by any company in particular i.e. china in England: Wedgewood, Royal Doulton, etc. <BR>However, I am no authority on ceramics. I will say the quality of the ceramics I bought in Vietri Sul Mare is not as good as that which I bought in Amalfi or Ravello. Maybe it was just the store that I bought from. I wanted a particular dish and there was only one left, so I bought it even though it had a couple of small flaws. Also, the cup I bought from the same store has I small indentation on the bottom "rim" that I didn't notice when I was checking it out. There were so many stores in that town that I kept going back and forth trying to decide what to buy. <BR> <BR>Have fun. <BR> <BR>Elsa