Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to buy in Austria? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-buy-in-austria-81760/)

Asley Aug 3rd, 2000 04:07 PM

What to buy in Austria?

What is Austria known for that I should consider buying to bring home? Thanks! Asley

Rex Aug 3rd, 2000 06:12 PM

Here's an answer you might not expect: wine. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

kiki Aug 3rd, 2000 11:25 PM

schnaps, a dirndl, antiques (vienna has an area with very nice shops, including art nouveau & art deco), a hat, swarovski crystal,

Aslyn Aug 4th, 2000 04:12 AM

Kiki - Could you tell me what a dirndl is? <BR>Aslyn

hooty Aug 4th, 2000 04:48 AM

It's a traditional style dress (like the waitresses in beer gardens wear).

SharonM Aug 4th, 2000 06:28 AM

get a green felt hat and pick out special hat pins and feather pins to adorn it. if you're a skiier, buy cool ski-wear in innsbruck

Me Aug 4th, 2000 11:01 AM

An Austrian?

wes fowler Aug 4th, 2000 12:27 PM

Asley, <BR>If you experience cold winters where you live, consider purchasing a Loden coat or loden clothing. Made of boiled wool, Loden wear is exceptionally warming. If you'll be in Vienna, Loden has a shop on the corner of Kohlmarkt and Michaeler Platz at the entrance to the Hofburg Palace.

kam Aug 4th, 2000 02:16 PM

I love my boiled wool jacket. Mine is red which makes it a little bit unusual. Also, crystal.

Lee Aug 4th, 2000 05:50 PM

<BR>Without a doubt....Swarovski crystal. <BR>It's beautiful!

Anna Aug 4th, 2000 08:31 PM

Lots of good ideas here. While vacationing in Austria I have purchased a Giesswein boiled wool jacket and Swarowski crystal.

Carol Aug 4th, 2000 10:08 PM

Swarovski also make beautiful jewelry. <BR>Enjoy the shopping : )

Diane Moll Aug 6th, 2000 05:46 AM

While we have been to Austria several times in the past couple of years, I never really found anything specific to purchase that was Austrian. As for the Swarovski crystal, I actually found the prices to be better here in the US. If you should get to Salzburg, there is a wonderful shop in the old part of town that sells thousands of hand painted eggs - they are just beautiful, and they will ship them home for you. Enjoy.

Liz Aug 6th, 2000 11:34 AM

Every provincial capital in Austria has a store called "Heimatwerk" (hope I've got the spelling right, it means "home" work) which has things made in Austria. We found them to have nice things which were representative of the various regions.

Marlena Aug 27th, 2000 03:16 PM

If you happen to go to Salzburg or Vienna definitely get some wonderful Christmas ornaments. On our trip last year I purchased several handpainted handblown glass ornaments for myself and as Christmas gifts for family. You can also find handmade straw ornaments. Austria is also known for it's wonderful dried flower arrangements which are small posey like little creations. Some even have different nuts included in the arrangements. They are beautiful and last a very long time. The stores in Salzburg are off a pedestrian throughfare I believe called the Golderner Strasse. Have fun shopping!

xx Aug 27th, 2000 08:57 PM

you can find some great nazi memorabilia <BR>in austria. great place to visit for antisemites. no desire to visit ever again. have fun!

yyy Aug 28th, 2000 06:08 AM

I second the above post. The only thing wrong with beautiful Austria is the Austrians. What xenophobes.

Look in the Mirror Aug 28th, 2000 12:51 PM

To the XY chromosomes above: LOOK IN THE MIRROR FOR TRUE PREJUDICE!!

xx Aug 28th, 2000 01:48 PM

Lots of folks who deny this FACT as well. Like the Austrian poster above me.

curtis Aug 29th, 2000 06:58 PM

Mozartkugeln!!!!!!!!