Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to buy and where to spend romantic times

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 07:35 PM
Geoff

I will be in Budapest and Vienna for a total of 8 days. Of these business days, I will have some time in each city for my lady and I to discover. What are the main items to purchase in each city, and any suggestions as to where we can go to enhance our love

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 10:48 AM
francesca

Castle Hill in Budapest has got to be one of the world's most romantic places. Too bad I was always single when I ever I was there. Have fun.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 04:17 AM
E.Lowther

In Vienna for romance I would not want to miss the Schoenbrunn Palace. It's very easy to get to by underground. U4. The palace is beautiful and you can stroll around endlessly in the gardens. Very romantic. Walk up to the Gloriette and have a bite to eat with a nice few of the palace. Hope the weather is nice but it's also romantic in the rain. To buy in Vienna: mostly crystal figurines and such things. Lot's of great chocolate. Porzellain and wool clothes.
I am from Vienna. Hope you'll enjoy the city. I love it. Elisabeth

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 04:18 AM
E.Lowther

In Vienna for romance I would not want to miss the Schoenbrunn Palace. It's very easy to get to by underground. U4. The palace is beautiful and you can stroll around endlessly in the gardens. Very romantic. Walk up to the Gloriette and have a bite to eat with a nice view of the palace. Hope the weather is nice but it's also romantic in the rain. To buy in Vienna: mostly crystal figurines and such things. Lot's of great chocolate. Porzellain and wool clothes.
I am from Vienna. Hope you'll enjoy the city. I love it. Elisabeth

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 05:34 AM
dan woodlief

For Budapest, there are very romantic views from Fishermen's Bastion on Castle Hill and the top of Gellert Hill (from here you get a broad panorama of the whole city - I remember seeing at least one couple inspired to kiss up there). A cruise on the Danube would be good. Also, try one of the baths there, such as Gellert; spend some time apart soaking and getting massages, and then get back together at one of the co-ed areas. Things to buy include lace, porcelain, dolls, and crystal.

For Vienna, I second the Schoenbrunn suggestion above, especially the gardens. Also, buy her a nice big piece of Sachertorte.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 06:18 AM
Chris

Geoff,

I have to agree with Elisabeth and Dan; Fisherman's Bastion in Budapest give a great view over the city. I also used to live in Vienna, and as for Schoenbrunn Palace, well, I proposed to my girlfriend in front of the fountain there in April (and she accepted!), so I can definitely recommend there to you! As for other areas, just try walking around the Ringstrasse that circles the centre, and take in the Opera House, Hofburg Imperial Palace, the museums and their grounds, Parliament, Town Hall, and numerous gardens, including a statue of Mozart. Enjoy your trip!

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Chris

And the Prater fairground area as well - the huge Ferris Wheel gives great views overthe city on clear days. (If you've seen the movie 'The Third Man', that's the wheel that's in it.)