Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to Bring to Rome??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-bring-to-rome-493837/)

jil1983 Jan 8th, 2005 08:14 PM

What to Bring to Rome???

I'm going to study in Rome for five weeks in July and I have no idea what to bring. I want to pack light so that I can bring back some stuff, and to avoid checking luggage which can possibly get lost. I have a tendency to over pack and since I'm going to be gone longer this time, I'm afraid I'll get carried away. I want to be practical and pack as little as possible, but I know that Italy is a very stylish country and I don't want to look and feel completely out of place, nor do i want to forget anything. Can someone please offer some advice? Thanks

LoveItaly Jan 8th, 2005 08:24 PM

Jil, I am not sure of your question. Are you asking what clothes to bring?

I assume (but maybe incorrectly) that you are of university age.

Have you in your travels ever had checked luggage lost?

I think you need to give some more info regarding your trip for anyone to answer your question.

jil1983 Jan 8th, 2005 08:34 PM

Hi. I'm 21 years old and I will be in Rome studying Italian film and advanced Italian in July for 5 weeks.

I would like to know what clothes I should bring and how much clothes I should bring.

I have never had checked luggage lost before but I have traveled with family members who have and it is very tedious and time consuming trying to deal with this situation.

If you could offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

LoveItaly Jan 8th, 2005 08:56 PM

Hi Jil, well first of all even though you have had family members that have had luggage lost the percentage of travelers that have had this happen is very low. So consequently I would suggest that you check luggage.

In a carryone one sure should any meds they need, and anything that would be a tragedy if they did not have it in Rome. For example, prescription glasses or extra contacts. A lot of travelers like to put in their carryon a change of lingerie and perhaps a top(Tshirt and something to sleep in) just in case luggage does not arrive in time.
And necessary bathroom/cosmetic supplies etc. What I do is put in my carryon the smallest of bathroom/cosmetic supplies (to keep the carryon as lightweight as possible). Than I buy what I need in Italy. And when I return home I leave all the bathroom supplies there, again to have a light as possible carryon.

And of course in carryon or purse you want to have all financial info including your money, credit cards, ATM's, passport, airline tickets etc. plus whatever cosmetic/bathroom supplies you feel comfortable having with you.

Also, do have a photocopy of your passport, and info about credit cards and ATM cards (not in the same place the originals are) just in case something happens to the originals. And do give a copy to a trusted family member at home too.

And since you are in Rome, the US Embassy is at the top of the ViaVeneto (which starts at the Piazza Barberini) just in case you need anything they can help you with.

About clothes. Rome in July is hot. I do not know where you live. Wanting to pack light is a good idea. I would suggest that you pack what you would wear where you live (assuming you live somewhere in the US). Young people in Italy like to dress as young people do in the US. The world has gotten so small that dress styles are more or less the same in the US and Europe.

Regarding packing light. I have always packed for a good week worth of clothes. And than either handwashed or taken clothes to cleaners or laundry when necessary. This has worked for me when I have been in Italy for 3 months.

If you have anymore questions please post them here on this thread.

You must be so excited and looking forward to this fantastic experience. And Jil, don't forget, you will want to buy a few pieces of clothes in Rome.

Have fun preparing for this adventure! ((*))

jil1983 Jan 8th, 2005 09:43 PM

thank you very much, your advice is very helpful. I have many more questions regarding this trip and I look forward to discussing them with you in the future.

LoveItaly Jan 8th, 2005 10:12 PM

Cara Jil, prego!

I will keep an eye out for your thread.
BTW, when you arrive in Rome, to supplement bathroom and cosmetic supplies (if you just bring the smallest amounts in your carryon) the store named UPIM will have everything you need. It is rather like a Target store in the US.

Sweet dreams, how excited you must be! ((*))

Melissa5 Jan 8th, 2005 11:42 PM

Jil1983, it helps a lot to pack clothes of very light-weight materials, because you can fit more in the suitcase and it won't weigh as much, and also it'll dry fast if you want to wash it out in the sink. Buy clothes which are cool in hot weather. Capri pants were very useful in Rome last June...everyone was wearing them. Light-weight skirts would be good too. I brought comfortable walking sandals that matched everything and a pair of comfty tennis shoes. Get a good travel clothesline so you can hang things up to dry in your room or bathroom. I like the clothesline I found on the Rick Steves web-site. You can use it without any clothespins and you can hook it onto things like doorknobs or hooks. Most women I saw were wearing sensible clothes in Rome.

ira Jan 9th, 2005 05:01 AM

Hi jil,

>..I know that Italy is a very stylish country and I don't want to look and feel completely out of place...<

As for clotehes, I suggest that you bring what you would take for a week in the US. Buy some clothes in Italy.

((I))