Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What time should driver meet us at Rome Airport (FCO)?

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (family of 5) arrive at Fiumicino Airport at 12:20pm on a Wednesday in December. We will be booking Rome Shuttle Limousine to fetch us from the airport and take us to the apartment we're renting in Piazza del Fico (near Piazza Navona).

My first question is:

1. We are arriving at Fiumicino from Dresden. Will we have to go through immigration/customs? (We arrive in Munich from Australia a week earlier).

Instead of the driver meeting us at baggage control, I am toying with the idea of going to the train station at Fiumicino to buy train tickets for a few journeys that will be taking place over the following 10 days. This leads me to my next questions:

2. Approximately how long will it take from the time our plane lands for us to get through whatever formalities exist (e.g. immigration/customs/security), collect our luggage (5 checked suitcases), walk to the train station, buy tickets, and walk to a suitable meeting place (suggestions of such a place would be welcome) to meet our driver? I don't want to keep the driver waiting, so I'd like to give him/her a meeting time.

3. How long should I allow for the driver to get us to our apartment? We will be penalised if we keep the apartment owner waiting.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM

A few reasons why IMO this is a bad idea.

But the main one is, the limo service for an airport pick-up goes by your flight's arrival time.

The company (in Rome) can always check online about the status of your flight and the driver at the airport can always check the Arrival's Board.

And they will usually wait for you, that company waited 1:20 for me once.

But I'd assume if you told them to meet you somewhere else and you had delays (weather, flight) they would write you off as a no-show after a fairly short time. Regards, Walter
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi Walter - What a coincidence to hear from you! I have just spent the day reading all your wonderful reports on Rome, Pompeii and Pisa. They are waiting to be packed now.

Now, onto the meeting time with our driver - yes, everything you've said is what concerns me too. I have contacted the limousine service and they have said they'll meet us whenever we want them to (and just to tell them when), but I am worried that communication may break down somewhere along the line....

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 06:52 AM

I agree with Walter. If your plane is late, the shuttle company will adjust their pickup time for you. With your plan, you really don't have any idea how long it will take to do all that. When you go for your first train ride, allow a little extra time and get all your tickets then.

For apartment check-in, I generally tell them an hour after my arrival time. I imagine they will give you a number to call if you're going to be more than 1/2 hour or an hour late. Then you usually won't be penalized. At least that's the way it works with Sleep in Italy rentals.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:27 AM

One reason I take my cell phone with me is to notify the apartment manager of my arrival and to contact the shuttle driver if we don't see him right away.

Last trip I phoned the apt. manager when I landed at the airport but if I were going to get penalized for tardiness I would call from the car as I got nearer the area. Traffic and road closures can delay you, etc.

I would wait and buy the other tickets from a travel agent right in Rome after I arrive or the next day. I find one that can make train res. and sit in the office comfortably, making all the plans and buying the tickets. Less hassle for me.

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
J62

I am not aware of any non-stop flights to Rome from Dresden - my guess is your flight is actually from Munich to Rome after DRS - MUC. Regardless, your intra-Europe flight basically the same as a domestic flight. No passport check, no customs, etc. That will make your arrival at FCO much faster than if you were arriving from overseas & had to wait for immigration.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 09:14 AM

As Sea Urchin says, buy your train tickets from a travel agency once you are in Rome. Much easier than at the station!

I used one on Largo Argentina opposite the cat sanctuary, right by a tram stop. Very helpful and they spoke excellent English.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM

julia, that is the office I use too, the women are patient, speak English well and it is easy to find on the boulevard.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. It does sound as though I should keep things simple and leave train-ticket-buying until I'm in Rome.

Yes J62, you are correct that our flight is not a direct one from Dresden. We go via Cologne.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone!