Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What Time of Year for Ireland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-time-of-year-for-ireland-338486/)

Statia Jul 18th, 2003 11:13 AM

What Time of Year for Ireland?

Not quite unpacked from Italy (working on my trip report, also), and already planning our next adventure.

Can anyone tell me what time of year is best to visit Ireland? We are looking at either April or October, but don't want to be there in the rainy season.

Thanks.

Debbie Jul 18th, 2003 11:17 AM

I have been there in April and November.

I much preferred April. Sunset in April was 8:30 or so, where November was closer to 4:30.

Also - ( this may have been a fluke) April was much nicer weather - we had very little rain, but it was pretty windy. November had cold rain/drizzle about every other day.

I will definitely choose April again over later in the fall.

Debbie

marianna1 Jul 18th, 2003 11:51 AM

I went at the end of October 2001 and we got a little rain each day for maybe a half an hour (perfect for a stop for tea and scones in a shop) but they didn't seem to have full rainy days the way we do here. We wore sweaters and light jackets but it was pleasant weather in both the Republic and Northern Ireland.

Michelle9 Jul 18th, 2003 12:16 PM

We spent the end of May beginning of June in Ireland and found the time of year perfect. Not too hot. Not too cold. And not many tourists. Everything was green, green, green and the flowers were in full bloom. Of our 11 days, we had only 2 1/2 days of rain. Sun as up early and didn't set until 10:30 ish. Perfect time of year to visit Ireland.

Clifton Jul 18th, 2003 01:11 PM

Also like May but April should be close to same. As Michelle pointed out, because of Ireland being as far north as it is, the length of a day is considerably longer during the spring than it is in the fall.

Also, checking rainfall averages, April and May show significantly drier, but with Ireland, you never know. It can rain a little bit everyday, but long heavy showers aren't common. In the spring though, the whole countryside is a lush green and the fuschia lining the roads is in bloom. Very nice.

HuwMorgan Jul 18th, 2003 01:13 PM

My wife and I honeymooned in Ireland in early September, 1991. Though the Irish considered the weather to be an extreme heat wave, Americans would have found conditions to be ideal. It was sunny with little rain and a temperature usually in the low eighties. I would suggest September as a time to visit Ireland.

KathleenL Jul 18th, 2003 01:19 PM

Hi,
We've been to Ireland in both the end of May and the end of September. We lucked out both times and had great weather. I hear this is a rarity but you can't tell by us.
We were in Italy in this May and have already stated thinking about Ireland for next May. There must truly be a travel bug and we've been bitten.

GreenDragon Jul 18th, 2003 02:30 PM

We were there last year in the third week of April. We stayed in the South, but it was quite pleasant the whole trip. It was misty most days, but only rainy one day. Highs were around 70sF, lows at night around 45F.

Statia Jul 19th, 2003 08:19 AM

Thanks so much for all your input. This gives us a great deal to go by. Sounds pretty much like anytime between beginning of spring and end of fall will be nice. Thanks again.

Ann41 Jul 22nd, 2003 11:53 AM

If you want to avoid the rainy season in Ireland, do not travel here between January 1 and December 31.

But to be more helpful, September and May are the best times in Ireland. Although we just had a spectacular week (the weather around 12 July is always nice in Northern Ireland, unfortunately. Guess God isn't a Catholic).

itsmlf Jul 23rd, 2003 09:25 AM

September is our favorite month in Ireland but just being in Ireland no matter what month is my favorite time...enjoy

Statia Jul 23rd, 2003 09:49 AM

Thanks for the additional replies!