Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What time of the year was your best trip to Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-time-of-the-year-was-your-best-trip-to-europe-626459/)

rbnwdln Jun 26th, 2006 06:23 AM

What time of the year was your best trip to Europe?

I am curious as to when is your best time to travel in Europe? We have gone to Italy the past 2 summers in early/mid-June and Venice and Rome were very, very crowded. We traveled to Paris two spring breaks in a row and it was cold and rainy. We spent 2 weeks in the British countryside in August a few years ago and I wore a jacket the whole time. (November in Rome was beautiful when we visited our son during his study abroad. No crowds, and lovely coolish weather!) Is there any perfect time, especially for Italy, in your opinion?

Myer Jun 26th, 2006 06:31 AM

The terms crowded and touristy are interesting.

I want to go to a place that others want to see. Hence, crowded and touristy.

We have been lucky to ovid large crowds while still going at desirable times.

I normally like to go during the first half of June. The school crowds and summer vacation does not appear to be in full swing yet. I also really enjoy walking around when it's light out so the very long days are great.

2Italy Jun 26th, 2006 06:33 AM

We have always enjoyed Italy from the middle of May to the middle of June. We have also liked mid-September to early October.

tcreath Jun 26th, 2006 06:34 AM

We almost always go to Europe during off-peak times, and have been happy for the most part. One favorite trip, though, was to Germany and Austria in May. It was on the chilly side a few days we were there, but crowds were nonexistent and the flowers were in bloom. We had a fabulous time.

Another favorite trip has been our three trips to Rome, all taken during the winter months (December, February and March). Rome is just lovely this time of year; no crowds, wonderful weather (especially compared to the typical midwestern winters!) and cheaper prices. I will only go to Rome during off-season.

Tracy

ekscrunchy Jun 26th, 2006 06:37 AM

It would depend on what area of Europe you are visiting. City or rural?

travel52 Jun 26th, 2006 06:38 AM

We have been to Europe once in June, 2nd trip in July and our last trip was the end of April and May. We thought May was perfect. We were able to fly on fewer frequent flyer miles because we left the end of April, and the weather was great! Norway was cold but mostly clear. May is Bergen, Norways best weather we found out after we were there. London was in the high 70's, low 80's and Italy was in the low 80's. I know we were lucky to get such great weather in London, as we were told it rained constantly after we left. Definitely May!!

ira Jun 26th, 2006 06:40 AM

Hi rb,

Mid-May to mid-June and mid-Sept to Mid-Oct for weather.

Mid-Jan to mid-Feb for low prices.

((I))

rbnwdln Jun 26th, 2006 06:41 AM

Well, Myer, I never used the term touristy. I don't think of European cities as being 'touristy' although a particular shop or sight (such as the Spanish Steps) might deserve the moniker.

bobthenavigator Jun 26th, 2006 06:41 AM

I prefer May and October. The flowers in May are a big plus to me.

Myer Jun 26th, 2006 06:49 AM

rbnwdln,

I wasn't referring to your post but just those in general that complain of a place being touristy and/or crowded.

I'm a tourist and that's tough work as one taxi driver told me.

On the other hand we just got back from Prague, Budapest, Brugge and Amsterdam.

Brugge was quite crowded and I can see why. They don't play fair making their little city look like that.

And the Charles Bridge was just great at 7AM with only a few people on it.

Sorry if I miswrote and was not clear.