Reload this Page >

What time is it in France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 12:51 PM
bette

I live in the midwest - central standard time- what is the time difference between here and there?<BR>Thanks bette

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Betty

6 hours later from the east coast, so 7 for you. 4:51 CST = 11:51 pm in France.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:39 PM
mike

That is correct. Paris is GMT + 1 hr, and US Central is GMT - 6 hr. In English that means if it is 6pm in Paris, it is 11am Central/US. Or in the spirit of confusion, it is actually 1700GMT (Zulu). I love this stuff. M.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 04:09 AM
wendy

Mike,<BR><BR>Doesn't the time change over Easter? Is it an hour forward or back? Thank you!

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Central European Time; UK Time

CET = GMT + 1. In the summer (March 28 to October 31 this year), CEST = GMT + 2.

The UK runs on GMT in winter, and British Summer Time (BST = GMT + 1) in summer.

(Just to add to the confusion, Summer Time on the east side of the pond starts and ends on a different day than here.)

EST = GMT - 5 | EDT = GMT - 4
CST = GMT - 6 | CDT = GMT - 5
MST = GMT - 7 | MDT = GMT - 6
PST = GMT - 8 | PDT = GMT - 7

http://www.timeanddate.com
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Another couple of good websites -
www.weather.com will give you the current and 10 day weather forecast

www.pagesjaunes.fr (yellow pages) - choose English and the city photos to exterior shots of your hotel or wherever in Paris and &quot;walk&quot; the street you will be staying on. Lots of fun!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Check out www.worldtime.com
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:01 PM

OK, now I've just got to ask:
Why aren't there 2 international datelines?? I mean it just seems like there ought to be....
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Well, I don;t understand that at all! Do you mean that we should have 3 days at the same time? Or the earth should be revolving more quickly? Or ???
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:31 PM
ira

&gt;Why aren't there 2 international datelines?? I mean it just seems like there ought to be.... &lt;

For the same reason there aren't 4.

The international date line, and other time zones, came about as a result of mariners, who kept excellent logs, going around the world and being either one day ahead or one day behind, depending upon which direction they sailed. (No. It does not depend upon the length of the voyage.)
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Why only one International Date Line is required:

If you look down on the Earth from above the North Pole, there will be an imaginary radius rotating clockwise around the pole like on a radar screen. This is the &quot;midnight line&quot; where the calendar advances as it sweeps by.

Let's start with the midnight line right on the IDL. At this time, it is the same day everywhere on earth. As it sweeps towards the west, the area behind it back to the IDL is the new day. So when it's noon at the IDL, for example, and the midnight line is passing through 0&deg; longitude at the Prime Meridian, the calendars in all of Asia read one day later than those west of Greenwich. Six hours later, the new day is beginning in the Americas, and all the territory to the east all the way back to the IDL is the new day. And so on.

Does that help?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:25 AM

I think a lot of it depends on the whether the price of fuel allows you to reach Warp Speed within a nanosecond.

Truly, I was being facitious about 2 international datelines. But the explanations by Robespierre and ira are actually darned good.