Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What time does Left-Luggage lockers open at Gare Du Nord??

Old Jul 19th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling from Paris to London for a one-night stay in London (and coming back to Paris). I am thinking of leaving my bulky luggage in Gare Du Nord, as I heard that there are luggage lockers.

However, my train leaves Gare Du Nord at 6.43am. I read webpages online that say that the locker facilities at Gare Du Nord only open at 6.30am?? Is that true? Would that mean I can't leave my luggage in Paris??

Or is the system automatic, and that I can still deposit my luggage at 6am when I get to the station, before I check in?

I've never used the lockers.. Anyone knows??
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 07:16 PM

From the seat61 website:

<i>"Paris Gare du Nord has left luggage lockers ('consigne' in French) downstairs under the main concourse just off the end of the Eurostar platforms. Open 06:15 to 23:15 daily. At the Gare du Nord and other stations in Paris, expect to have your bags X-rayed before entering the locker area. In Paris, a small locker costs 4.50 euros, a back-pack or suitcase-sized locker around 7.50 euros for 24 hours, and a larger locker for two backpacks around 9.50 euros. There's a change machine which can convert 10, 20 or 50 euro banknotes into the coins needed for the lockers."</i>
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you staying in a hotel in Paris before your trip to London? If so, more than likely they will hold your bags after you checkout.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM

I was scratching my memory because my recollection is that the left luggage area is open 24 hours - but can't recall exactly, since I've left my luggage in so many different train stations, it's hard to recall what exactly happens at the G. Nord.

Here's a pretty good description from one traveler:

http://www.myparisadventures.dk/1142...%20Meurice%27s
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 09:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Directly from the SNCF train station site (Gares en Mouvement):

Complément d'accès : Niveau -1, à côté des loueurs de voitures, côté sortie taxis

du lundi au dimanche de 6.15 à 23.15
jours fériés de 6.15 à 23.15
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Does 0615 help the poster? Assuming he's on a standard ticket, he has to check in by 0613. Whenever I've been on Eurostar, checking in has meant putting your ticket through the ticket barrier.

Is there a mechanism at Gare du Nord for standard ticket holders to check in at a separate desk and get registered before 0613, then go and stow the bags before going through security and UK immigration. There's clearly time: Business Premier ticket holders need check in only by 0633.

But is it physically possible?
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 04:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
They are quite flexible about check-in time for the Eurostar, at least until the last 15 minutes, since they don't board until then.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 04:33 AM

I have just used the luggage storage at Gare du Nord on Monday. It is certainly not 24 hours. The hours posted above are correct. It is just under the EuroStar check in area, meaning it is not at the other end of the station. (follow the signs to the car rental place) So one could run up and down quickly. you have to have everything xrayed when going in. Take coins yourself as the change machine was out of order the other day and I had to go and find change from the newsagent. The big lockers are very roomy and took two suitcases and a couple of overnight bags as well. You get a receipt when you pay and then there is a code on that receipt which you just punch in. So you can do this very quickly as you are not relying on anyone else. You will need to go through security again yourself but I am sure you could "push in" past any queue with bags (as I did!!)

Schnauzer
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:45 AM

See http://tinyurl.com/3px32uq for a photo of the operating conditions. You do need to have your bag x-rayed. There was a line up the stairwell when I was there two years ago. Maybe you can put your stuff in the locker the night before so you are not in panic on the morning of your departure. The fee is for 48 hours.