Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What Three Nations Have The Friendliest People? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-three-nations-have-the-friendliest-people-1024034/)

IMDonehere Aug 26th, 2014 07:57 PM

What Three Nations Have The Friendliest People?

Let's keep this positive. If you disagree do not criticize, just list t5hose who you think are the friendliest people in Europe. For me:

1. Italians
2. Spanish
3. Belgians

HappyTrvlr Aug 26th, 2014 09:09 PM

Portugese
Italians
Greek

ribeirasacra Aug 26th, 2014 10:27 PM

Why only post this in Europe? This is narrowing your sights to much. Maybe a thread for The Lounge?

cafegoddess Aug 26th, 2014 10:52 PM

No country in Europe can beat Japan. I love working here because the Japanese people are the best! The Swiss are pretty nice, still can't match Japan

colduphere Aug 26th, 2014 11:59 PM

1) Peruvians visiting Europe
2) Canadians visiting Europe
3) Australians visiting Europe

bvlenci Aug 27th, 2014 12:05 AM

The Scots are about the friendliest people (and the most helpful) I've ever met.

Italians are pretty friendly, but maybe I'm biased. Then, I think I'd add the Danes.

These questions are never very revealing, unless you restrict the sample to nations that all the respondents have visited, and require that the visit be more than just a few days in the tourist meccas of the countries.

Also, what does friendliness entail? Smiling service in hotels, shops and restaurants? Or willingness to split their last loaf of bread with a hungry stranger? In Rome and New York, two of my favorite cities, a brusque manner conceals a propensity to go out of the way to assist someone with a problem.

adrienne Aug 27th, 2014 12:08 AM

1. Poles
2. Irish

adrienne Aug 27th, 2014 12:10 AM

<< Why only post this in Europe? This is narrowing your sights to much. Maybe a thread for The Lounge? >>

IMD can't post in the Lounge. You could put a link in the Lounge if you want to do that but only those who are eligible to post there could view or add to it.

bilboburgler Aug 27th, 2014 12:38 AM

I think it goes something like this, assuming you are outside the big cities or major tourist spots
Turks
Finns
Southern Italians
French
Spanish
Portugal

adrienne Aug 27th, 2014 12:48 AM

Bilbo - where do spots come from?

fourfortravel Aug 27th, 2014 12:51 AM

In alphabetical order...

Czech Republic
Denmark
Romania

adrienne Aug 27th, 2014 12:53 AM

Can we enter subsets within nations? I still have 1 more entry.

I think the French police are absolutely friendly, polite, and helpful.

bvlenci Aug 27th, 2014 01:14 AM

The Irish maybe very congenial, but I wouldn't exactly call them friendly.

It's true that there are big regional differences, and, as I said, a lot depends on what you mean by friendliness. In some places a surface cordiality is just that, superficial. I would tend to include the Irish in that category, as well as the southern US.

MissPrism Aug 27th, 2014 01:21 AM

Exactly. What on earth is friendly? I just want politeness and help if I'm in difficulty.
I'm going to get that anywhere unless I happen to meet the sort of grumpy soul who can turn up anywhere

fourfortravel Aug 27th, 2014 01:26 AM

LucyStanmore, we could travel together! I love the Poles' hospitality, as well, but I figured that since I am Polish I am biased, and, well, I was limited to three. :)

sparkchaser Aug 27th, 2014 02:25 AM

Belarus
Lithuania
Finland

Josser Aug 27th, 2014 02:37 AM

Another of those list themes. "what is your favourite depiction of St. Peter's left big toenail? Where will I never return? Which place in Yurp didn't come up to expectations.

Flame away, but I can see the point of trip reports. They are subjective, but the good ones can be very helpful and enjoyable. The same goes for information about city districts or travel information.

I can see the point of warning that the Ruritanians' idea of hospitality is burning Americans in wicker cages, but the world's smarmiest waiters

LBird Aug 27th, 2014 04:36 AM

Since it's in the Europe forum:

Ireland
Spain
Portugal

I base friendliness on many things, but it's hard to explain. Outside of Europe I'll go with Japanese people and Canadians

I am apparently not biased towards my own country (Denmark), pleased to know that at least the tourists likes us :D

IMDonehere Aug 27th, 2014 04:54 AM

It was just a simple question....

Whatever you deem friendly.
Yes, it is a European board thus European countries
And if someone wants to add fourth to ninth country, that is fine. No one will be exiled for such a transgression.

MissPrism Aug 27th, 2014 05:02 AM

I agree that it's a silly thread. That's why I'm adding to it.;-) Surely, you need to go somewhere where people are civilised, rather than friendly. A friendly local could charmingly pick your pocket. A lovely friendly taxi driver could grossly overcharge you. There are those delightful leather merchants who have some jackets left over from an export deal and will sell you one for a good price