Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What the heck!!?? You mean we are not the most important, most newsworthy travel message board of the Whole WorldWide Web? An nytimes.com story on FlyerTalk.com

What the heck!!?? You mean we are not the most important, most newsworthy travel message board of the Whole WorldWide Web? An nytimes.com story on FlyerTalk.com

Jun 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM
rex
Original Poster

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/14/business/14chat.html

I suppose some of you "cross-chatters" know some of these folks?

Can we get a New York Times reporter to come to our Indianapolis GTG this Saturday?

Curious minds want to know!

Best wishes,

Rex
Jun 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM
MaureenB

Yes, we are-- they must have taken money under the table to report otherwise!

Jun 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Flyertalk is a really excellent board. I don't fly enough to take full advantage of all of the tips, but what I can use is very useful.
Jun 14th, 2005, 03:08 PM

I've been reading and posting on Flyertalk for more than four years. It has greatly increased my knowledge, perks, points and miles totals. The board has some extremely experienced people who participate. (Last year, several dozen of us flew to London to have dinner together on cheap tickets and we had a great time.)
Jun 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Plus, as devotees and aspirants to the art of trip reporting, we should note that occasionally on FT one encounters quite remarkable reports, such as this one regarding a tour of North Korea...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431606
Jun 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM

I go on the British Airways forum of Flyer Talk. The posters are a great source of information----there's really not a question that you can't get help with. There are forums for various hotel chains, credit cards, restaurants, etc. with much discussion of miles and award tickets, with a fair share of complaints. There are also personal experiences of flights and lots more.
Jun 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I adore Flyertalk! And if it weren't for Flyboy (thanks again!) telling me about the wonderful Le Grand IC promotion posted there, I would never have found it!
Judy
Jun 14th, 2005, 05:51 PM
rex
Original Poster

Just what I need another addiction! I think I will resist. But I am curious, Flyboy, was the Rockford deal played up (as big or) bigger there - - than here?
Jun 14th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Yes, it was. There were 114 posts on that particular thread and 7,242 views at last count. (The format of the Flyertalk site is much different than Fodor's, as I'm sure you've noticed.)
Jun 14th, 2005, 07:07 PM
rex
Original Poster

But it's gone now, right? Things scroll off the bottom pretty quickly, if I understand correctly, no?

There are so many different forum subdivisions - - what do you "follow"?
Jun 14th, 2005, 07:36 PM

No, it's not gone. Threads sink as other threads receive more recent postings, just like they do here. Here is the Rockford thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429706

I mostly follow Northest, Hilton and InterContinental Hotels Group. I also follow Milesbuzz and Mileage Run, along with some of the news items.
Jun 14th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Rex, just for instance, go to the American Airlines board and read the second "sticky" thread at the top of the forum, especially the link to FewMiles' "older" site.
Jun 14th, 2005, 08:39 PM

For those of us who are addicted here, have you done your report yet Rex? (it's the school teacher in me ;>)
Jun 15th, 2005, 12:10 AM

Woo...it looks good! I like the format much better too. Thanks for the heads up!
Cheers,
Jan
Jun 15th, 2005, 03:33 AM

Gee, Rex, I guess they haven't found out about the "lack of indexing" over here yet have they???? I'm suprised you didn't mention it.
Jun 15th, 2005, 04:17 AM

FlyerTalk is set as the homepage on my browser, so I guess that tells you whenever I start my computer.

I haunt the Air Canada forum. It's an amazing source of information. Just as an example, there's a sticky at the top of the forum that indicates where the best seats are on every aircraft in Air Canada's fleet.

FT is designed in a very different way than Fodors. For one thing, you can edit your posts and for another, you can send private e-mails to other participants, which is very handy when exchanging upgrade certificates and such things.

Anselm
Jun 15th, 2005, 04:19 AM

Ah, a good example of why we need an editing feature here on Fodors ... that should have been "so I guess that tells you where I go whenever I start my computer."

Anselm
Jun 15th, 2005, 04:24 AM
rex
Original Poster

Hoping...

see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34632058

And to Intrepid...

<<Gee, Rex, I guess they haven't found out about the "lack of indexing" over here yet have they???? I'm suprised you didn't mention it.>>

To what does "over here" refer? Over at flyertalk? They seem to have no lack of indexing (if their search engine even requires "batch re-indexing"). For example, a search on "Rockford" yields 126 hits in 0.29 seconds - - and the most recent thread was started on June 10 - - and the search word is "highlighted", (in red) to make it easy to find.

So, searching clearly works there...
Jun 15th, 2005, 04:36 AM

I,also, think that FT is a great site.
I am a moderator (Travel Bidding Forum)there and use it primarily for deals and info on points/miles (I do way too much business travel).
Fodor's is especially great (for me)for tips for vacations.
They with Slow Talk are regular stops for me.

Jun 15th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Hi Rex. FT's search engine works like a dream nowadays, but it wasn't so long ago that it was out of service for quite a period.

FT's "advanced search" option is very effective, in case anyone wants to look for something.

Anselm