Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What special Paris souvenir to buy for a close friend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 12:22 AM
quinty

I am about to take my first trip to Europe and want to buy my best friend a nice present in/from Paris. Any especially neat things to get? <BR>P.S. The budget is very flexible.<BR>Thank you.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Linda

This probably isn't all that suitable for an adult (you never know), but if anyone's trying to find something for a child I came across a wonderful idea in December while there. I found a small plastic globe (about 4&quot; in diameter) and stand at a stationary shop that was about 12 euro. It's labels are all in French, giving it a nice exotic touch, and it is amazingly detailed. My son loves it as it tilts in all directions and now I can talk about travelling to a place and point out to him exactly where it is in a concept he can understand.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:33 AM
scarlett

Depending on your spending limits:<BR>A French brand purse (Longchamp, etc)<BR>Perfume <BR>A silk scarf<BR>Teas from Mariage Freres (a basket with an assortment of teas &amp; candles)<BR>A poster from the Booknistes along the Seine (our son loves Art Nouveau-we got him a Mucha poster)<BR>Something from the D'Orsay or Louvre gift shops<BR>Hope this helps

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:41 AM
xxx

Why not wait till you get there and see what interests you and YOU know your friend's interests and taste, we do not.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:49 AM
yyy

I agree with xxx

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:51 AM
abc

that's because x's and y's are always grumpy.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:59 AM
smiling

abc, you have brightened my morning.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:19 AM
z

and xxx s are worse than grumpy, haven't learned their abc s.<BR>Get something original, there are amazing art gift shops as well as crafts.<BR>Nothing like a unique gift. Longchamp is all over the world as is marriage teas.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Ira

Hi Quinty,<BR> Some suggestions:<BR><BR> If your friend is a foodie, try something from Fauchon.<BR> Posters from the bookstalls on the <BR>Seine are a good idea. You can get cardboard mailing tubes to put them in.<BR> Take photos of some of the unique window displays, people sitting along the streets, other views of Paris that don't show up in postcards and make a collage for her/him.<BR> A bottle of really good wine.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Amy

What about a nice original artwork? There are a number of street artists that sell painted and pastel pieces that would make a nice souvenier.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 02:00 PM
mimi taylor

For either sex, a TinTin backpack. I have two that I use. One for when I'm on my bike for errands and the other I use when I travel to France. The museum shops have great gifts you won't find here. Books are a good choice if he/she reads french but even if they dont there are lots with great pictures. Another wonderful place to shop are the stationary stores, so many unusual and beautiful paper things.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:37 PM
tjc

A friend travelled to Paris in January and brought me a calender - loved it so much; those monthly pictures tempted me to go to Paris the next year!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 08:04 PM
jill

Longchamp may be all over the place but you can get them for half the price in Paris. <BR>I find it a little daunting, trying to buy someone else art work. You never really know what they like and there is nothing worse than someone giving you a &quot;painting&quot; that you hate, so you keep it in the closet and when they visit, you haul it out and hang it up!<BR><BR>Better to buy something like a great silk scarf, calendars or Museum gifts.<BR><BR>If a purse is too $$, you can get a canvas tote bag from Galleries Lafayette and Samaritaine, the museums also. Those make great gifts.<BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:43 PM
paul

if your friend enjoys art/artifacts from a certain period, e.g. art deco, you could do worse than strolling around among the art galleries in st.germain. I am always on the llokout for a poster from an art gallery that would never make the us market since they never get distributed. The poster will always be inexpensive-10-15 euros. then you give it to your friend with a gift certificate for framing so they can use their taste to make it fit their home.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Francie

A gift of Lalique would be nice.<BR><BR>My hubby bought me a beautiful designer purse (Celine) which I cherish.<BR><BR>Francie

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Quinty

Thank you for the positive replies. You all gave so many good ideas. I'm glad I asked - this was a complete eye opener.<BR> <BR>And for the scrooges who answered me, I DO plan to find what I like once I get there, but it doesn't hurt to be pointed in the right direction. Please don't be so quick to attack people. If you can't help or be nice, please just don't answer at all.<BR>Thank you.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Mari

A French beret in her favorite color!