What size rental car for a family of 4?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:38 PM
ccc

What size rental car for a family of 4?

Can anyone advise what size rental car I should reserve for two adults and two children, with two 26" and two 22" suitcases? This board seems to recommend the smallest car possible. Thank you to all for your expertise!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:47 PM
StCirq

Where are you renting, for how long, and for what purpose? We usually rent a mid-sized car for our family of four (two adults and two kids) for a month-long trip to France, sometimes Italy, each summer. In France, that usually means a Renault Mégane or equivalent. We don't need lots of trunk space, as we travel light, but we do like a bit of room inside the car itself.Through Auto Europe, we usually pay about $20-$25 a day - our credit card covers the CDW, so we don't opt for that.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:53 PM
ccc

Thanks so much for your quick reply. We are planning to rent in Paris and drive into Bavaria, dropping the car in Munich--just four days. Do you think a mid-size car would suffice?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:56 PM
StCirq

Yes, ccc, I think so. Just check out the prices for dropping off a car in a country other than the one you picked the car up in - the costs can be exorbitant! It may be cheaper to drop the car at the border and pick up a second one. Also, with a mid-sized car, you can choose a diesel, which will save you loads on fuel costs.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Linda

We rented a BMW 3-series for a long European car trip a couple of years ago. We had three adults and a baby in a carseat and felt we had lots of room. Ours was gas, not diesel, but we felt it got good mileage and wasn't a guzzler. Rented from www.sixt.de

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:09 AM
pam

For our family of four, we rented a VW Passat Diesel through Hertz (picked it up in Paris, drove through southern France to Alps all over northern and central Italy, dropped it off in Rome). It was a nice car, very comfortable. We crammed everything into three big suitcases, plus carry-ons.
Pam B.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 08:14 AM
ccc

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds as if the 4 passengers will not be a problem in a mid-size car, but I'm a little worried about the luggage fitting in the trunk. Any experience on that? Thanks again.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:13 PM
gb

We had no problem with the Megane mid size with four 22 inch bags with wheels. A little space to spare on top of the luggage for loose stuff.
BTW, I just reseved a Megane lease from Renault for next summer. 18 day, total insurance and tax with lease, 10% off using AmEx for $864 that included a $100 pick up fee. I shopped around both lease and rental and this was the best I found (since it includes all insurance). But, two years ago, we had paid $200 more for the same car for the same time.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 01:56 PM
John H

Hi, ccc,

If you are worried about luggage -- which is a very real concern -- here's a suggestion. Go to AutoEurope's web site, look at the types of cars that are included in a category (e.g., "mid-sized"), and then visit a car dealership (or even a rental car location) in your home area and look at that car, including opening the trunk.

I have done this when renting a van in europe and it gave me great comfort/information to do so. (We discovered that there was no way 6 of us plus luggage would fit in a mini-van, so we rented a second car).

John H

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 09:45 PM
mjs

We are also four but may pack alittle lighter than you with two 22", a 24', garment bag and four moderate size carry ons. A european mid size does not work for us. A Ford contour size station wagon does work fine.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 12:13 AM
hera

I'd advise a 4-person seat, or 2 2-person seats, on the train. It's faster, easier, cheaper, far more environmentally sound, and will give you insights into local culture that you could never get insulating yourself in your own metal box. And yes - there is ample space for luggage.

SEE http://www.raileurope.com for details.