Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What SIM provider keeps your telephone number the longest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a European SIM card for my unlocked Samsung that will allow me to keep the telephone number as long as possible without topping up/purchasing new minutes.

I already have Orange (French) and TIM (Italian) SIMs but need a third for another phone. With Orange, the telephone number expires a maximum of six months after any purchased units expire, which is not a problem as I am in France at least yearly. With TIM, the phone number goes away one year after your most recent purchase of TIM minutes.

Is there a SIM out there (with a European number attached, could be England or wherever) that keeps your telephone number even longer than a year – perhaps indefinitely? – without the need to repurchase minutes?
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 01:49 PM

I have a UK sim with Mobell (not Mobal). Have used it for years now, same number. They bill me when I use it and it stays active when I don't. I'm very pleased with it. I changed from the prepaid expiring variety and would not go back, even for somewhat better rates, too convenient.

http://www.mobell.co.uk/british-sim/
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 04:02 PM

There are several companies the offer international sim cards in which the number is more or less permanent. It all depends on how much you want to spend and if you need a local number. If you do a Goole search you'll find several.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Try www.travelsim.co.uk (Isle of Man number; no expiry).
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 06:31 PM

I have a Tchibo SIM from Germany - the expiry date is something like five or six years, but I have been unable to find that info on their website - that is what I was quoted last time I went to recharge my SIM, in June this year. Tchibo (coffee) shops are everywhere, in just about every town, so it's easy to get a recharge slip from their shops. Costs 9c a min to call German mobiles and landlines, and 9c a min to Europe, Canada and US landlines, although considerably more if you want to ring Australia as I do.

Lavandula
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for helpful suggestions.

Banglalion, your suggestion of PrepaidSimCard.org is not the best answer, as buried in the fine print is the statement: "The SIM card is valid for 6 months after the most recent top up." Obviously I am looking for much more than 6 months.

Robert2533, I did do a Google search initially but it was not possible to find a "permanent" number that way.

It appears one of the UK providers is going to be my best bet, although I will research Tchibo from Germany. You would think they would clearly state how long the phone number is valid for, but I know it's not always evident.

Again, thanks, everyone!
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

I will use the SIM card primarily in France and Italy, but occasionally in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Benelux countries and Spain.
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

I just ordered a SIM card from Travelsim (www.travelsim.co.uk). The cost was close to USD 50. This should include a $15 call credit, plus a SIM and associated telephone number that will not expire.

I'll let everyone know when it arrives and I've used it. Travelsim appears to be just what I was looking for.
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 07:21 AM

For the most part, the UK sim cards give you six months of non activity not six months awaiting a top up, an important distinction. Orange UK gives you a year, again of non activity. I live in the USA so even in those cases where I can't top up, I can keep the sim card active by sending a text message every say 5 months and avoid the dreaded sim ard registration failed message.

The one frustration remains how difficult it is to top up with a foreign credit card. They should take pay pal or usually the amounts are so little that fraud should not be a problem but it seems as if it is.