Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What shouldn't I miss with 2 weeks in Romania?

Jun 1st, 2007, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi everybody,

I'd like to visit Romania for two weeks next year's June, so I have two questions:

1. What places shouldn't I miss?
2. What's the best bookguide of Romania?

Thanks.
Jun 1st, 2007, 08:37 PM

What I enjoyed most:

- Maramures (village life)
- Bucovina monastaries
- Sibiu
- Sighisoara
- Beirtan

Other places I enjoyed:

- Rasnov
- Sinaia
- Harmann
- Bicaz Gorge

I have both the Rough Guide and Lonely Planet and thought they were pretty similar. I liked Rough Guide best, my wife liked LP. Take your pick.
Jun 1st, 2007, 08:52 PM

is it necessary to have advance lodging reservations for an october stay?
Jun 1st, 2007, 09:29 PM

We were there in October and didn't book ahead - except in Sighisoara. That's a small town that's on everyone's list with only so many rooms in the citadel itself, which is where we wanted to be. So we called ahead to a guesthouse we wanted a couple of days ahead. We were going to be there for a couple of days and it looked like Halloween was falling in those days. Figured (and was correct) that the Dracula birthplace thing would bring out a bigger than usual group of tourists. And since there's a big parking lot just outside the wall at the gate, I think they must get some crowds at other times. But we actually, even then, drove into the walls and parked in the center, along a side street.

Otherwise, we were walk-ins in Timisoara, Sibiu, Sinaia, Voronet and Sighet and always found a room at the first place we tried.
Jun 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM

What we liked the best:

Maramures was amazing. The villages retain a lot of their traditional customs and architecture. The wooden churches are stunning; similar to the stave churches of Scandanavia.

Saxon fortified churches in Transylvanian villages. Seven of them are on the UNESCO list, but there are dozens more. It makes a difference if you can find the person with the key to unlock the church. We spent a day and a half exploring these villages/churches, and I could have spent much more time. My favorites were Prejmer and Cincsor. Biertan was also great - it's the largest.
Here's a bit of info:
http://www.mihaieminescutrust.org/co...dard.asp?n=117
http://medieval.romanianfolkart.ro/

The Transylvanian towns of Sighisoara (do stay in the citadel as Clifton suggests), Brasov, and Sibiu are the three best preserved of the original "siebengeburgen" or seven medieval towns of German Transylvania. They are each worth a good solid day of exploration.

Bran Castle was surprisingly attractive, but Rasnov has, at this point, gotten overdone and kitsch-y.

Just driving in the countryside was enjoyable: seeing the field work and the horse carts.

We did not make it to Bucovina. We spent two weekends with relatives and only had the 5 intervening weekdays for touring.

I have written a too-long trip report and hope to get it edited and posted soon.
Jun 10th, 2007, 06:46 PM

clifton, do you remember where you stayed at sigh..?

bob
Jun 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM

I agree all these places are wonderful.
WE stayed at a wonderful guesthouse
in Vama. It is in Rick Steves book.
I'll try to find the info. WE were
there in April, 2004 and we didn't
have in reservations.
Rough Guide is more for the hikers.
Jun 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM

I forgot to mention that Blue Guide, which we used quite a bit for Romania. We also used Rough Guide and Lonely Planet, which are the three books that I found that were devoted to Romania. All of them contained useful information for touring the various regions. The Blue Guide gave lots of info about the architecture.

In Sighisoara, we stayed at the Hotel Sighisoara in the citadel. I believe Clifton stayed at the Casa Legenda guesthouse.

fyi, Clifton's detailed trip report is:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34543931
Jun 11th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Yep, Legenda was where we stayed. Countess Room. Not fancy at all, but homey and we liked it. www.legenda.ro

It looked like the Casa Wagner would have been a good choice too. About 3 doors down and across a narrow street, it was bigger than the Legenda. We ate there twice. The rooms had looked nice on the website, but we didn't see one ourselves. I believe it's recommended by one of the other regular members here, but now I can't remember if it was Tower or Michael!

Never got around to going in the Hotel Sighisoara. Historic looking building from the outside, as is all of the citadel. Was a group there when we arrived, another arriving by bus as we departed.
Jun 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM

I think there are 3 hotels in the citadel of Sighisoara, and I've heard good things about all of them, and about the Casa Legenda from Clifton. Stu Tower does indeed recommend the Casa Wagner. I think it was full when we went (we got 3 rooms plus our guide's). We planned to eat there, but my dad was beat, so we ate at the outdoor patio at the Hotel Sighisoara, and the food was quite good. Just for further info, here's a link to my pictures of the Hotel Sighisoara:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...d=8DZsmzZuzbMw
Jun 11th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Castell:

Yes, I recommended the Casa Wagner...I led a group of 16 on my most recent visit last year and all liked it very much (I've periodcially traveled Romania from 1980, doing research). It's in the center of old town and citadel...rustic..good restaurant. Link:

http://www.brasov-hotels.ro/id/305Bv...hisoara.en.php

Rates about 60 euros.

Stu T.
Jun 11th, 2007, 03:05 PM

another link:

http://www.gobtf.com/Btf/Lodgings/CasaWagnerSighi.html

Stu
Jun 11th, 2007, 03:10 PM

One more...their offical website...good pix...

If you wish I'll upload a bunch of digitals from my mst recent visit to Romania...

stu T.
Jun 11th, 2007, 04:36 PM

official casa wagner website:

http://www.casa-wagner.com/

stu T.
(can also recommend lodgings in Cluj, Bucharest, Maramures, Bukovina and the painted fesco churches, Piatra Neamts, Iasi (Yash).)
Jun 12th, 2007, 07:03 PM

castella:

Make a note: While visiting the frescoe'd chuches of Bukovina/Moldavia be sure to take in the vey unique, fun Neculae Popa "museum"...it's between Piatra Neamts and Voronets (one of the churches). I'll give you more detail and upload some pix before you leave..remind me..

Stu T.

Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM

We just returned from 12 days in Romania with Daniel Gheorghita, web site is wwww.convinnus.com. Email at [email protected]. For detailed itinerary we suggest you contact Daniel Gheorghita who would be happy to work with you in developing your plans.
It was obvious from the start that Daniel had spent a great deal of time planning and preparing for our visit. The trip exceeded our expectations in every way. Daniel was a wonderful, considerate, flexible, knowledgeable guide. His choice of routes led us through photo-ops in abundance. The hotels were all very good and the food was excellent - simple, fresh and tasty and the people were friendly and helpful. The northern part of Romania with its horse drawn wagons, wooden churches, painted monasteries and gorgeous scenery is unique and very worth seeing. Transylvania's walled cities, castles, ski resort, made for another interesting aspect of this country which offers such a variety of places to see. We did not get near the Danube Delta or the Black Sea so could have spent another few days easily. We were sorry to leave this beautiful country.

Dorothy and Chris
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM

The Neculae Popa Museum I mention above is in the village of Tepesht, as I said between Piatra Neamts and Voronets...the road in is very rough, dotted with big potholes...but the goal is well worth it.

Stu T.
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:18 AM

Dorothy, the last letter "D" from your screen name comes from Daniel (Gheorghita)????

Your first post here, your first visit in Romania and you already know about what you did NOT visited yet there....strange, isn't?
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:45 PM

When we visted about 5 years ago we arranged a homestay in the Maramures area. I'd found an e-mail contact for the village of Vadu Iseu in the LP guidebook. This was the highlight of our stay. If you are in the area on the 1st Monday of the month be sure to visit the local livestock market in ...??(it's near Sighet where the merry cemetery is). It is fabulous because all the people still wear their native dress. LP also clued us on to this.
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM

You might want to take a look at my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34659808

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO