What should we see in Paris

Feb 12th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

What should we see in Paris

Hello all,
Visiting Paris for 5 days can't decide what to see first, which museums. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Any general tips about the city would be helpfull too.

thank you
Feb 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Is there a list that you've started on things you know will appeal to you and maybe we can help narrow it down? We don't really know your taste in art and what you might like best. As far as what to do, click on Destinations above and navigate to Paris. It will show a basic itinerary incorporating the tourist attractions. Have you purchased a good guidebook yet? That can also give you ideas as well as pictures.
Feb 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Get the Michelin Green Guide for Paris. The front of it probably has suggested sights according to the number of days you will be spending in the city.
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:00 AM

There are many related threads which has asked similar question. A search will help you decide.

With only 5 days, you will not be able to see and do everything. I've been 8/9 times and still have a list.

Without knowing your interests, it is hard to know where to start.

For example, museums...Rodin, Louvre, Picasso, Orsay,Marmottan,Conciergerie, 'Cluny', Jaquemart-Andre...etc...what do you like in this list? Modern Art, small, large, impressionists...With only 5 days, you don't want to go to all of these. The Ouvre, on its own, could easily take a day just to barely scratch the surface of its collections.

Notre Dame, Eiffel tower, Arc de Triomphe, Champ Elysee, Left bank, Jardin de Luxembourg, Tuileries, Ile St Louis, Seine cruise, Sacre Coeur, Montmartre, walking tours, St Chapelle, Opera Garnier, etc...

Paris needs to be enjoyed at slower pace, don't do the "10 AM Louvre, 12:30 Lunch, 1PM Orsay, 3PM Eiffel Tower,etc...You may see stuff, but you'll miss the other "important' stuff..like a relaxing hour or two at a cafe, enjoying lunch and people watching. I've done the "death march" touring, and the "plan and see what happens" tour, I prefer the second.

Help us help you.

Mike
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM

What interests you? Art? Cathedrals and churches? Music including opera?
History? Monuments? Any place with a big reputation so you can say you have been there?

Given the number of excellent guide books about Paris, I commend any two or three of about half a dozen to your study. The Michelin green book is good, and, even though I think his approach is superficial, Rick Steves' book is good for a once over at a shallow level.
At least if you follow him you will visit places most people have heard about.

My own personal first choice based on my visits is Ste. Chapelle. Those gorgeous stained glass panels are incredible. They are best enjoyed on a day of sunshine, particularly in the afternoon when the sun is shining on them.

My only other advice is to avoid the Louvre unless you know why you are there. The place is huge, diverse, and multifaceted in the extreme. If you just want to look at Venus, Mona, and the Winged Victory be prepared for a worshipping mob at each site. Winged Victory is easy to see because it is at the top of a flight of stairs and can be viewed from several angles. Poor Venus is always surrounded by her admirers. And for Mona, she now has a room of her own I am told. Not sure that helps any because nobody paid much attention to the other painting in the room with her, which was a pain because she had some high class company that was either ignored or blocked off by the surging mob around Mona.

Feb 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Click on "DESTINATIONS" above and look at the 5 day itinerary for Paris. That is a good start. Then read some of the hundreds of threads already on here w/ info about Paris. And then come back w/ some more focused questions/info about yourselves.

Like WHEN you are going? WHAT sorts of things do you enjoy? A couple or a family w/ small kids/teenagers or whatever? WHERE are you staying?

"any general tips" is waaaaaay too general. tips about what - food, budget, metro, getting in from the airport, museums, culture, what?? All of these things are discussed just about every day here on Fodors.

So read up a bit and then we can help you more.
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Here are a few things:
Meandering St. germain des pres
place du tertre
sacre cour
vincence chateau
versailles chateau
montmartre
musee d'orsay
louvre
cluny museum
orangerie
st. chapelle
notre dame
arch de triomphe
marmotten museum
nissom de comando museum
marais district, picasso museum, carnavelet museum, place de vosages
luxombuourg gardens
tuilleries
Rodin museum
Jacquemart-Andre Museum

Feb 13th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for replying to me.
I want to do combination of little bit of everything, besides Louvre what other museums are good for someone who is not a history buff or not into arts.
Feb 13th, 2007, 05:48 AM
lawchick

Unfortunately most musea tend towards Art or History.

Perhaps the Natural History museum or the Musée Galliera which is fashion/costume related (but closed until April I think)or The Arab World Institute?

Feb 13th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Paris in April last year and I have posted a long trip report with pictures, links and maps on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . Maybe you can find some useful information there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Hi ReginaK,
In the Fodor Destination guide, what things seem interesting to you?

"A combination of a little bit of everything" tells me that you need to do a little bit of research.

For example, do you like walking? Do you like tours? Do you like bus tours? Are you up at 8AM ready to go, or are you more get up, go out for breakfast, plan what to do... Do old churches interest you? Are you looking to shop?
When someone says Paris, what thoughts come into mind? Is it dancing like Gene Kelly by Notre Dame? Running around Montmarte like Amelie? Folies Bergeres?

What about the Louvre interests you? If art and history are not particularly interesting, what is? Take the Cluny museum (Musee Moyen Age), it is built in an old abbey, over the ruins of ancient roman baths...plus it has some very nice old tapetries, some bits of architectural remains, is small, located in Latin Quarter,etc...

Or the Rodin, in a nice mansion, which has sculpture pieces inside and outside, nice gardens. Or the Orsay, which apart from Impressionist paintings, is housed in an old, classic railway station. The Jaquemart-Andre museum is...a museum, but is also the private mansion of the couple who built the collection, so you see the art, but you also learn about these wealthy people and see how they lived.

Info please...
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM

I just 'topped ' some threads for you by another poster asking for info on Paris, but surely there are much more

ivee