Reload this Page >

What should we see in Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Sherry Kies

Our family is contemplating a 7-10 day trip to Greece in July 2002. Even though we are seasoned international travelers, what should we know? What sites should we not miss? Thanks!

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Grasshopper

My recommendation would be to be sure to go to Meteora and Delphi. Athens gets a lot of bad PR but is certainly worth a couple of days. Stay in or near the Plaka. And you should visit an island or two. A great website for getting completely familiar with what's great to see in Greece is www.greektravel.com

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Dina

I sent an Email to Matt from greektravel.com thanking him for the great info that we used to plan the greece trip. He Emailed back saying he loved my travelogue pages, and sent me a photo he just took of something that only happens every 20 years: a blizzard in Athens. A view of the Acropolois covered with snow!<BR>My Greek travelogue pages and photos, which might be helpful, can be accessed from www.costumegoddess.com/travelog.htm<BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Dina

Sorry that's the Acropolis, of course. I hate typos!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Tom

Sherry, I haven't been to Meteora, but I can concur with what Grasshopper had to say about Delphi. If you're interested in history, it's not to be missed. It's possible to take a daytrip by bus from Athens, but if you have a car, definitely go up and spend the night. That way, you can visit Delphi in the morning before a lot of the tours get there.<BR><BR>If you have a car, you might also want to visit Nafplio -- a rather nice port city on Peloponnese. We drove from Delphi to Nafplio in under a day, including the ferry ride. Nafplio isn't what I would call small and out of the way -- it's a fairly good-sized town. But it's a nice place to spend a warm summer evening.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Surlok

Nafplio is lovely, one of my favorite towns in Greece, besides you can go to Mycenae and Epidavrus from there.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:24 PM
j

We took a cruise to the Med. Meteora was fabulous -- the views were spectatular and the people very nice. The island of Santorini was also like a fairy tale and the views were again splendid. We're planning a return trip. Athens was nice, but dirty and crowded, and Rhodes was so-so. Too touristy. But the food was wonderful!<BR><BR>JEN