Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What should we pack to wear Oct. 18 - 30?

Oct 13th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

we were planning on jeans, long sleeve t-shirs and sweaters (layering). do we need to bring a coat? we are also wearing hiking shoes. do we need anything dressier? we don't plan on doing anything more than pubs.

anything else you can suggest?!?!?

we are doing a self drive.
Oct 13th, 2004, 08:13 AM

Might be nice to know where specifically you're going, although the reference to pubs makes me think perhaps the United Kingdom?

BC
Oct 13th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

sorry. we are going to ireland!!!
Oct 13th, 2004, 09:39 AM

A young couple, two teenagers, elderly pair? I vote for corduroy slacks, turtlenecks and a wool sports coat. You will gain respect and attention with this 'uniform'.
Oct 13th, 2004, 12:38 PM

My husband and I just got back. It was very windy, and we got some rain every day. Be sure and bring a rain jacket and maybe a fleece jacket that you can layer with it. If you plan to hike or cycle, you probably also want some waterproof pants. I was also glad that I brought some light gloves.

We were very casual the whole time and felt very comfortable in jeans and casual pants in the pubs.
Oct 13th, 2004, 01:30 PM

I don't take a coat, but I do take a good rain parka that has good wind resistance. That's kept me warm enough on my November trips if I'm layered underneath. For the layers, I use long-sleeved T-shirts, a fleece pullover, and a sweater when necessary.

If you're just doing pubs, you won't need anything dressier than your hiking shoes. The only reason you'd need another pair of shoes is because your hiking shoes could get wet.
Oct 14th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

we have fleece, but we do not have rain parkas...is this something we should buy before we leave? the packable kind? if we do not buy them, will we be miserable without them?
Oct 14th, 2004, 09:08 AM

I've never been to Ireland but from general weather history and by reputation, it does seem to rain a lot. Whether you will be miserable I can't say, but take a look at the weather forecast or the historical weather and then decide.
try:
www.weather.com
www.weatherbase.com
www.wunderground.com
Oct 14th, 2004, 12:33 PM

I wouldn't go to Ireland without some kind of rain coat. You could get lucky and not have a drop, but it can be a pretty damp country. It may not rain all day, but frequent showers aren't uncommon.

I don't know if you'll be miserable without a rain coat. All depends on how you feel about being wet, I guess.
Oct 25th, 2004, 12:27 AM

I agree with MaryZ - a raincoat is a necessity - in addition it may well be pretty cold at that time of the year so some woollens are also required - as we found on a 4 week holiday held during a recent October. We lived in jeans, though, and they were quite warm enough. It's a great place just inclined to leak at times!!