Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What should my priorties be in Baveria? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-should-my-priorties-be-in-baveria-692564/)

redwoodcitymom Mar 30th, 2007 03:49 PM

What should my priorties be in Baveria?

Hello Everyone,

I am going to have 2 days in Garmish and there are just too may things to see! Neuschwanstein (and the other castles), Zugspitze, Weiss Kirche, Oberammergau, just to name a few. I will have a car but don't want to spend the whole time in it. We then have 2 nights in Munich before we leave. (Dauchu is a must). What would you suggest?

TexasTiger Mar 30th, 2007 04:01 PM

Dachau- they say when you walk in that they would show it exactly as it was- hold nothing back. We made it halfway thru the museum and then could stomach no more.Very moving. Have a great trip

Rastaguytoday Mar 30th, 2007 04:10 PM

In Munich, if you can, stay near the Marienplatz, a great pedestrian zone.

Check the schedule for the Glockenspiel (clock) chiming that was built to celebrate Duke Wilhelm V's wedding. Pretty amazing for the time. Go early and get a seat at a cafe and order something.

Lots of people will come and stand for a while but you will have a great view, stand if you have to, but only when the clock starts its thing.

After that, go to the Hofbrauhaus, founded by Duke Wilhelm V, have a mas of bier and listen to the oom-pah band.

Here's the Munich web site that also included descriptions about Dachau.

http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/touri...799/index.html

it will pretty much give you most everything you need.

redwoodcitymom Mar 30th, 2007 04:43 PM

Thank you for the tips. What I really need to know is how to spend my time when I'm staying in Garmish.

Thanks!

enzian Mar 30th, 2007 04:51 PM

What time of yoar are you going? do you like to hike?

Bob_KY Mar 30th, 2007 04:55 PM

If the weather is clear go to the top of the Zugspitze. The town of Mittenwald nearby is very beautiful and worth a visit. There are many hiking options in the area if that is an interest.

cmeyer54 Mar 30th, 2007 05:19 PM

wow - only 2 nights in munchen?? Defintely see dachau - its more than worth the time and trip. when I was there on my own, I took a 1/2 day bus trip - guided tour of highlights and a stop at Nyphenburg schloss. I also did a lot of walking around marienplatz. With the family in tow, we did Dachau, eagle's nest, walked the pedestrian area, spent a half day at the olympic park, toured the churches, residenz, and so on. Have a beer in the marienplatz and see the glockenspiel, have dinner at hofbrau house and just enjoy. If you want to see some greenery (depending on when you are there) take a walk thru the english garten. I envy you so much!!

redwoodcitymom Mar 30th, 2007 07:49 PM

Thanks for all the Munich information. All very useful and inspiring. I'm going to be in Garmish July 14 & 15. I just don't know how long it takes to get from town to town. My mom lived in both garmish and in Oberammergau, so I want to see those, plus Mittenwald, the castles, the church... Any ideas on how to tackle all this?

wolfmisc Mar 31st, 2007 02:27 AM

Garmisch-Partenkirchen (thats the complete name) is not very far from Munich. There is a direct train out of Muenchen-Hauptbahnhof (central railway station) every hour and it takes just under 1 1/2 hours to reach Garmisch and viceversa. If the train needs that time, by car it would be the same. Or much longer, because driving around in Munich is kind of a nightmare, especially in summer and at weekdays during rush hour.
I think 2 days are not enough time to see all these places you want to go to. Fuessen with Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau ( better look at Neuschwanstein from the outside only) and the Wies are close together. Zugspitze and places around (Oberammergau for instance) would need another day.Castle Linderhof should be another good idea, as well as the lakes not far from Munich like Starnberger or Chiemsee.
If you like some sleepness nights go to Dachau too.

ira Mar 31st, 2007 02:41 AM

Hi R,

>I'm going to be in Garmish July 14 & 15. I just don't know how long it takes to get from town to town. My mom lived in both garmish and in Oberammergau, so I want to see those, plus Mittenwald, the castles, the church...<

I think that you have 2 motor tours.

Plot your routes at www.mappy.com and see how long it will take just to drive.

Then decide what you ar going to skip.

((I))

redwoodcitymom Apr 2nd, 2007 07:58 PM

Hey Ira,

How old is your Mom? I wonder if our moms lived in both the same places at the same time? My mom is 76 and lived w/ a baker in Oberammergau. I've sent my mom an email (she's in the Caribbean right now) to find out her suggestions on touring. We are planning on being in Garmish-p (I'm too lazy to learn the spelling) on the same days, July 14-15. Perhaps we can exchange notes?

Wolfmusic, those are great time suggestions. Thank you.

B

valtor Apr 2nd, 2007 08:42 PM

Redwood, did you note the "<" and ">" signs in Ira's message? They start and finish a paragraph from YOUR message, so probably Ira will not be there in july, and his mother did not live there!

redwoodcitymom Apr 3rd, 2007 07:21 AM

Oops. Another newbie error. How embarrassing. ;-)

AisleSeat Apr 3rd, 2007 07:32 AM

If you call ahead and schedule your trips through Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau you can plan to see Oberammergau, Ettal Monastary, Wiesekirche, and perhaps Linderhof either coming or going from Garmish.

Jake1 Apr 3rd, 2007 07:38 AM

From Garmisch, it's an hour drive or less to the castles near Fuessen. With a car, you can easily visit Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, and Hohenschwangau castles in one long day, plus the Wieskirche. We thought the interior of Neuschwanstein was fascinating (in the context of Wagnerian and German mythological fantasy), even though only about 15 rooms were completed.

For average driving times, see www.viamichelin.com Of course, times will vary depending on your driving style and road conditions, but we usually get places a little faster than viamichelin estimates. Others have commented that it takes them a little longer than the estimates.

chip Apr 3rd, 2007 08:05 AM

On our quick visit to the area we stayed just below the castles and with an early start were able to do a circular route tour starting with Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, Wiesekirche, and then Linderhof...loved them all. Each was unique, interesting and beautiful. It was a wonderful day. We passed Oberammergau but I think we just made a quick stop.

I would go to Neuschwanstein first because the lines can get long...if I remember correctly the English line was very long so we actually joined the German speaking guide trip since we knew we were wanting to see a lot that day.

Since you are staying in Garmish you will have evenings to enjoy the area.

Friends that toured Germany several times have found Zugspitze visit often disappointing due to weather/cloud conditions...so I would check into it before going.

Jake1 Apr 3rd, 2007 09:57 AM

No need to worry about tjicket lines at Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau--make your reservations online or by phone.

J_Correa Apr 3rd, 2007 10:20 AM

Another recommendation for making the reservations for N and H castles online. Then you know when your tours will start - just have to get there early enough to pick up the tickets and walk up the hill before the tour. Very easy.

We visited Oberammergau and were underwhelmed. Maybe it was the anticipation - I have heard from a lot of people that it was their absolute favorite town in the Bavarian alps. It was nice, but we didn't love it. So if it were me and time was short, that is what I would skip.

redwoodcitymom Apr 3rd, 2007 12:57 PM

Thanks for the castle tour recommendation. So doing all the castles in one day, shouldn't be too overwhelming. I haven't yet decided where to stay; Oberammergau was too expensive, so I thougt I'd try Garmish-Pardkirchen. (Sp?) You all have any favorites?
Again, Thanks for all the Help!

enzian Apr 3rd, 2007 03:26 PM

Garmisch-Partinkirchen has many charming Gästehauser and Gasthof accomodations. Try "Suchen und Buchen" on the website for your dates and see what appeals:

http://www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de....html?index=01

Frauendorfer is very popular, and I've always like the look of Hohe Tannen, but not been able to get in. If you have a car, Gasthaus Reiter out on Burgstrasse has a lovely rural feel. And there are lots more. The only one I would NOT recommend is Haus Sissi.