Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What should I wear in Sicily in the Fall (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-should-i-wear-in-sicily-in-the-fall-880197/)

RealtorRose Mar 2nd, 2011 12:25 PM

What should I wear in Sicily in the Fall

Four youthful seniors touring Sicily 9/21 through 10/7. I'm hoping we will catch the tail end of some warm weather. Is white still appropriate, I know that Italians love black. Skirts as apposed to slacks? Jeans? I'm guessing no shorts. I do know not to wear white sneakers! Trying to make the proper choices so I can pack light. Do most B&B's and Agritourismo's have hair dryers, I know the larger hotels do. Any other suggestions on what or what not to pack. Plan to do lots of touring so we need comfortable clothing.

Mimar Mar 2nd, 2011 01:08 PM

It should still be quite warm in Sicily the end of September/beginning of October. White's not practical for sightseeing and neither are jeans because they take so long to dry in European dryers. Take lightweight clothing that's easy to hand wash and dry. Pants or skirts. Shoes that can handle rough surfaces. And do bring a lightweight water-repellent jacket or coat.

annhig Mar 2nd, 2011 01:33 PM

why not shorts?

if they, and white sneakers are comfortable, wear them!

nobody, but nobody cares.

honestly.

B&Bs and agritourismi will have hairdryers. you will also be able to do some washing, and things will dry quickly. pack light, and remember that there are shops on Sicily.

Zerlina Mar 2nd, 2011 02:32 PM

No B&B or agriturismo I've stayed in in Sicily had a hairdryer, and the ones in hotels are pitifully weak. Nor have they had washers.

Italians pack up their summer clothes in the middle or at the end of September, no matter how hot it is out. You won't see them wearing shorts or white in late September or October.

humptynumpty Mar 2nd, 2011 02:37 PM

We had anything between 12oC and 22oC last year. Catania is set as a weather location on my iphone.... I see their weather everyday. Last winter was very mild, many days averaged over 20oC.

I have been going to the southern Med for 40 years in October. Basically, you could get anything between 10oC and 30oC but on average 20oC.

annhig Mar 2nd, 2011 02:54 PM

I googled italian B&Bs and picked this one at random in Sicily.

they have a hairdryer. [un asciugacapelli].

http://www.villadiana.ag.it/serv.htm

it really doesn't matter what the locals are wearing; where what you feel comfortable in.

they will still know you are tourists, whatever you wear.

Zerlina Mar 2nd, 2011 03:46 PM

TripAdvisor asks us ers about their travel style. I suspect most people there as well as here would check "Try to blend in with the locals", but they really "Want all the comforts of home", even if it means wearing shorts when the locals are wearing tweed jackets.

I'm not suggesting that anyone wear a tweed jacket when it's 20 C out, but I do suggest that shorts would mark tourists more conspiculously than necessary or inevitable.

P.S. That B&B also says it has a refrigerator and an iron; it doesn't mean they're in every room.

RealtorRose Mar 2nd, 2011 06:23 PM

Thanks everyone. So, I guess it's pack light, comfortable clothing, stay away from white and pray for a hairdryer.

annhig Mar 3rd, 2011 04:06 AM

So, I guess it's pack light, comfortable clothing, stay away from white and pray for a hairdryer.>>

we could set that to music and make it a fodor's anthem!

RealtorRose Mar 3rd, 2011 05:43 PM

Works for me annhig:)

Leely2 Mar 3rd, 2011 05:51 PM

Isn't it an eerie coincidence that I just yesterday made a reservation at annhig's random Sicily b-and-b?

I'm not bringing a hairdryer but I do sort of need one with this new haircut. Hmm.

Have a great trip, Rose.

Dayle Mar 3rd, 2011 06:48 PM

Once I narrow down my lodging choices, I just simply ask if they have hairdryers as a standard question prior to booking. Not that the lack of one would be the deciding factor, but it's good info to have. Helps you decide what to bring. I prefer not to have to bring any electrical appliances at all.

kfusto Mar 4th, 2011 04:13 AM

"I'm not suggesting that anyone wear a tweed jacket when it's 20 C out, but I do suggest that shorts would mark tourists more conspiculously than necessary or inevitable."

I agree with Zerlina. We choose to dress for where we are visiting and what we would wear at home in Florida is irrelevant.

Zerlina Mar 4th, 2011 04:57 AM

Anyone who travels a fair amount should, I think, invest in a small, light, dual-voltage hairdryer and save herself the suspense. There are some very small but powerful ones out there, and they do not cost a mint.

tarquin Mar 4th, 2011 05:27 AM

Italians dress for the season, not the weather, so I wouldn't take white. Black is always good, especially for men. Lots of B&Bs have hairdryers, you can always ask if there isn't one in the room (asciugacapelli, or a mime would do the trick!)

A_Brit_In_Ischia Mar 4th, 2011 07:00 AM

It's perhaps worth remember two things about the local people you'll see...

First, most won't be vacationers but residents going about their normal lives.

Second, your arrival will coincide with the start of Autumn, when it's already noticably cooler than during the Mediterranean summer.

I'm dubious about those who pretend to be what they're not, but perhaps the need to do so wherever they stop explains why cruise passengers carry so much luggage?

For some photos from Taormina taken the same time last year, try this - and overwrite the word with the names of your various destinations to see what was going on in each!

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&...aormina&m=text

But maybe middle-aged Englishmen shouldn't be giving fashion advice?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/naturalkiller/5121182602/

Peter

Sue878 Mar 4th, 2011 08:33 AM

What about "Capri" pants? I would take at least 1 pair in case you have warm weather. No jeans though.

RealtorRose Mar 4th, 2011 11:01 AM

OK, so I will invest in a small, dual voltage hair dryer. Most definitely will pack some capri pants and a pair of jeans too.

I'm not trying to blend in. I am, coincidentally 100% American Italian, however I also don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. Sounds like plain old common sense rules.

annhig Mar 4th, 2011 01:47 PM

Rose, a hairdryer might be a good investment. but you might like to wait to buy it til you get to sicily.

we found that our french gite didn't possess one [one of the many things it did not possess but we won't go into that here] but we were able to get one from the local hypermarket for €8. it's very powerful and light.

it's the first thing into my case when I'm going to mainland europe. [as opposed to the UK, where I live].

RealtorRose Mar 4th, 2011 04:29 PM

Thanks annhig...great advice. I will be staying in a really nice hotel in Palermo the first 3 days and I'm sure they will have one there. It will give me time to find a market to buy one.