Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What should I see in Andalucia from Cadiz if I only have 4 days?

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling into port in Cadiz, Spain abroad Semester at Sea in September and will have a free place to sleep on deck all 4 days that we are in Spain. I am not sure what I should see as there are so many options and so little time. I will not have a car and am a student with limited funds. Should I take a trip to Seville on the train and spend a night in a hostel or should I do Seville in one day. What are some of the important must sees in Cadiz and Seville? I also have the option to go with a group to Ronda for the day or Grazalema Natural Park. Would you recommend either of these excursions or is there anywhere else I should plan on seeing independently?

Thank you
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 11:26 PM

What you see and do is always down to your personal likes and dislikes. So a question as to where to go to and with whom is neigh-on impossible for me to answer.
To discover more about the city of Seville than either do a search on this forum or have a good read through some of the website listed below.
http://www.andalucia.com/cities/sevilla.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seville
http://wikitravel.org/en/Seville
Personally Saville is worth all four days of your stay in Spain, especially as you can loose as much as half a day getting to or from Cadiz. But as I said it is all very personal.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 12:04 AM

The train from Cadiz to Sevilla takes 1:47, so it is doable as a daytrip. You will be able to see Sevilla's main attractions in one day.

I would also suggest a daytrip to Jerez (0:39 by train). Although you are on a budget, try to visit a winery. I personally recomemnd Gonzalez Byass, but there are many other options. Do a little research on the web.

I would also recommend Ronda which is a picturesque "white town". Also, the drive to and from Ronda will give you an impression of the landscape. Grazalema is a village close to Ronda and the entrance to the Parque Natural de la Sierra (which is basically a mountain area), so I assume that the excursion combines both.

This will leave one day for Cadiz which is a beautiful city with lots of sights (churches, museums, old town..).
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 02:30 AM

The Cadiz Bus Terminal is on your right as you exit the Port. There are thru Buses that go all the way to Madrid (Secotbus / Socibus) via Sevilla Plaza de Armas Bus Terminal and Regional Service (Comes SA) that terminates at Sevilla Prado de San Sebastian Bus Terminal.

Your excursion to Ronda sounds good to me.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Sevilla:

I'd definately visit Sevilla as a daytrip or if you could swing the cost spend a night at a hostel. Maribel's guide to Sevilla will highlight the "must-see's" for you:
http://www.maribelsguides.com/

White villages:

I also wouldn't miss taking a day into the white villages. If the excursion to Ronda with the group is in your budget I'd take it. If it is more expensive then you like you can easily go by bus from Cadiz to Arcos de la Frontera or Vejer de la Frontera. I prefer Ronda over either these but if money is a consideration and the group trip is more expensive this is an alternative.

Sherry tasting:

I prefer Sanlucar de Barrameda over Jerez for visits to the sherry bodegas (but this is just my personal preference). I just like the atmosphere of Sanlucar and the location on the beach. It's an easy bus ride from Cadiz. Sanlucar is the only place in the world that produces Manzanilla, a type of sherry. If you're into horses Jerez is probably a better choice, but it will cost to see the horses.

Cadiz is a wonderful place to just spend time in by itself. It's a great place for simply wondering and exploring. The tourist office has a good map along with opening times of the main sites and is located on the street just across from the port. September will be a nice time for a visit. There's a great outdoor market open every day (open but undergoing a renovation so it's not very "pretty" at the moment) where you can buy some fresh fruit at decent prices. If you've never tried churros they make fresh churros at 2 stands just outside the market. For an inexpensive breakfast you can buy a cone of churros then go inside to a cafe and order a chocolate - yummy There's also a market (Mercadona) on calle San Francisco near the port where you can buy basics or food for a picnic if you're on a tight budget.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:24 AM

You shouldn't miss Seville and a train to Santa Justa is a good idea. You are close to the centre when you emerge from the station or you can get a taxi for around €5 to the old centre. There's loads to see - Jewish quarter, Alcazar (castle - unmissable, esp the gardens), cathedral of course, the riverside, the Parque Maria Luisa...or just wandering the streets, shopping, drinking etc. And that's without crossing the river to Triana or straying out of the centre. Might be worth staying the night - that way you can go tapas trawling which is a wonderful thing to do anywhere but esp in Seville.

Otherwise, you have Cadiz which is a city like no other, with a great atmosphere, a few things to see (cathedral, camera obscura) if that's what you like. Better by far to head across the city to the beaches which flank the peninsula. Playa Victoria is long and lovely, Playa La Caleta is small and lovely, with old forts either side. That's my favourite. There's a great bar at the back where you can have lunch and by September it will not be busy outside the weekend. Just along from there is the lovely Parque Genoves which is great for strolling and having a coffee and watching the world. There are some wonderful plazas for doing the same - San Antonio, San Francisco and best of all Mina (which has the very pleasant province museum). The ultramarinos (delis) in Cadiz are fantastic. Don't miss them.

Modern catamaran ferries or the lovely old steamboat (El Vaporcito) cross between Cadiz and El Puerto de Santa Maria (half to three quarters of an hour) or Rota ( a bit longer) during the day. Take the ferry to El Puerto and have a fantastic fishy lunch at Romerijo or one of the other fish rests near the waterside. It's a pretty, very typical Spabish working town and one of the shjerry triangle with Jerez & Sanlucar.

Might not be worth going to Jerez - like Cadiz only smarter, though it does have a quite nice alcazar. If you like sherry then yes, go to a bodega. If not, don't - you only have four days.

Ronda is lovely though pretty touristy. still, it's worth seeing for its site, its Moorish quarter with palaces etc and there's good food there though not cheap. It's not a white village really though you'll see some on your way there.

Grazalema natural park is gorgeous. If you love the country and seeing eagels, vultures etc then go for this one. I guess you'll stop at Grazalema and Zahara de la Sierra too - lovely white towns.

You might hit autumn fiesta (wine festival) time in which case you should try Jerez, for an evening at least. can point you in the direction of relevant info and also plenty more about everywhere mentioned if you like - shout if you need help
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Just another thought: I'd take the bus from Cadiz to Sevilla. It's the same amount of travel time and a little less expensive. Most importantly it will drop you off at the Prado de San Sebastian bus terminal in Sevilla which is a 5 minute walk to the cathedral. The train stop in Sevilla is not as centrally located and with limited time to visit every additional minute counts
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM

I would definitely spend a night if not two in Sevilla. It's a great city. I would also take the trip to Ronda and would enjoy Cadiz too.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM

If you can get a few others together, it might be feasible to rent a car. From the Navy base at Rota, which is very near Cadiz, I have day tripped by car to Seville, Cordoba, Jerez Gibralter and even Tangiers in Morocco. All long days but doable. Cadiz is interesting in itself and has good bus service, but you are limited by the schedules.