Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What should I not miss seeing in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-should-i-not-miss-seeing-in-paris-272802/)

Donnae Nov 12th, 2002 07:04 PM

What should I not miss seeing in Paris

What should we do while we're in Paris?

xxx Nov 12th, 2002 07:34 PM

That's a broad question as there are many things to see and do in Paris. To get an idea look at guidebooks first. It comes down to what you think you'd like to see. What others like may not interest you.

LameLameLame Nov 12th, 2002 07:36 PM

You should go to a bookstore or library and get guidebooks and get a general idea of what might interest you. Then, when you have specific questions, you might come back here with them. If you expect people here to answer your ridiculous question, you might at least indicate what your budget is, what you like to do and see, and how much time you have to spend in the City of Light.

Chet Nov 12th, 2002 07:46 PM

Hi Donnae:<BR>Here are my suggestions:<BR>Eiffle Tower<BR>Notre Dame<BR>Museum d'Orsay<BR>Rodin Museum<BR>Louvre (if you can take crowds)<BR>Sacre Cuor (watch for pickpockets)<BR>There are many other sites, depending on your preferences. Enjoy your visit.<BR>chet

Francais Nov 12th, 2002 07:54 PM

Would that be:<BR><BR>Tour Eiffel<BR>Mus&eacute;e d'Orsay<BR>Sacr&eacute; Coeur<BR><BR>?? <BR><BR>It's REALLY hard to do a search on the internet for places if you can't spell them right.

Mel Nov 12th, 2002 08:11 PM

It also depends on how much time you have for Paris, as well as the time of year. Sometimes, just walking along the Seine is a joyful Paris experience.<BR><BR>One thing I seldom hear mentioned that we really enjoyed was the Carnavelet (my spelling could be off). It's a museum of Paris life with rooms depicting different time periods. All done in original pieces, beautiful artwork, etc. It's like walking through someone's home.

xxx Nov 12th, 2002 08:16 PM

I agree with Mel about the Musee Carnavalet. Its rooms contain various displays of furniture, art, objects, etc. from various periods in French history. Plus it's also free on Tuesdays, at least that was when we visited and we were pleasantly surprised it was free that day.

Graziella Nov 13th, 2002 03:49 AM

Stolling and seating for a long time in a cafe.

laurie Nov 13th, 2002 04:06 AM

I also loved the Carnavalet musee, the Rodin museum and THE PICASSO MUSEUM even if you think you're not crazy about Picasso. The building is fabulous and seeing all his work from very early to late is fascinating.

carol Nov 13th, 2002 07:39 AM

Don't miss Ste. Chappelle, the Ile de la Cite (the island that both Notre Dame and Ste. Chappelle are on), a boat ride on the Seine (Vedettes de Pont Neuf is a nice line, the boats are smaller and more fun that the big Bateaux Mouches); see a ballet at the Opera Garnier.

elaine Nov 13th, 2002 12:38 PM

Donnae<BR>If you go elsewhere on this Fodor's website to the Destination section for Paris, you will find basic information on the major things to do in Paris.<BR>Same info can be found in any good guidebook; Fodor's guide for Paris is one good one.<BR><BR>It would help if you could say what interests YOU, and how much time you will have.<BR><BR>I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.

tjc Nov 14th, 2002 04:43 PM

re: What should you not miss?<BR>An evening walk along the Seine.Enjoy

Sam Nov 14th, 2002 07:05 PM

Somewhat off the beaten path are La Defense and the Musee de l'air et l'espace. La Defense is an area where they allow skyscrapers. There a Grand Arc. There's also a shopping center there.<BR><BR>The Museum de l'air is in LeBourget Airport. It has many planes including the first Concorde prototype and many more planes.

annie Nov 15th, 2002 04:21 AM

Angelina's for hot chocolate, we saw Andie macDowell there last Sept. On the Rue de Rivoli.

Bob Brown Nov 15th, 2002 07:59 AM

I guess I am showing my age or something when I don't put the Musee D'Orsay at the top of the visitation list. But, there are so many splendid &quot;little&quot; attractions in Paris, that seeing them is an adventure. I have two you can put down for future reference.<BR>First, Hotel de Soubise, 60 rue des Francs Bourgeois, near Rambuteau <BR>station. It is a display of sumptious <BR>classical decorative style. <BR>Second, Musee Jacquemart-Andre at 158 boulevard Hausmann is a private collection of paintings and other art objects now viewable by the pubic.<BR>We enjoyed going through it. <BR><BR>There is so much to see in Paris, that there is a seemingly inexhaustible supply of smaller attractions. That is to say, that after the blockbusters of the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Musee Rodin, and a couple of others, there are so many smaller, but highly rewarding places to go, that you need several trips to take them all in.<BR>

Janell Nov 15th, 2002 09:25 AM

If you're short on time, do not put the Musee Carnavalet or Picasso on the top of your list. We did not like them and we wish we would have spent more time at the Pompidou Museum (modern art). St. Chapelle is also really nice. See Versailles, we ran out of time so only got to see the outside.

JMM Nov 15th, 2002 11:00 AM

Another vote for Ste. Chapelle - absolutely the highlight of my trip to Paris - go on a sunny day - its like walking through liquid light.

ita Nov 15th, 2002 03:19 PM

along with the other suggestions, my favorite place is Pere Lachaise cemetary. Try to pick up an English walking tour because it is so vast or at least buy a map just outside the gates

Amy Nov 15th, 2002 03:32 PM

If I had to pick 5 sites not to miss, I'd say, in order:<BR>Ste. Chappelle (just heavenly)<BR>Rodin Museum<BR>Musee d'Orsay<BR>Notre Dame (climb to the top!)<BR>Musee Marmottan<BR><BR>I would do all of these long before Picasso Museum (mostly early works) or Sacre Coeur.<BR><BR>

Stephanie Nov 16th, 2002 07:45 AM

We love the Picasso and definately the Jacquemart Andre. Get the free headphones for a facinating story of art accumulation by the couple who felt it was their duty to collect art and willed it to their country. Great stuff for a non-museum person like me. Skip Ste Chapelle but do see Eglise Ste Etienne du Mont. Walk through Place Concorde, to Jardin des Tuilleries, through Louvre exterior squares, to Cour Caree and then cross the Seine at Pont des Arts. Gorgeous stroll. Another is Notre Dame then walk along the right side by the Seine to Square Jean XXII, cross the Seine at Pont St Louis to Ile Ste Louis and check out the Ile. You can then cross the Seine again at Pont Sully to the Institute Monde Arabe and take the elevator to the top for a great vista.