What should 13 year olds wear in Italy?

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 07:22 AM
Denise Scandiffio

What should 13 year olds wear in Italy?

With all the concern over what to wear in other countries, I am giving it some thought on what would be appropriate clothing for my 13 year old son. He's into that oversized baggy jean look. Should I get him to buy a nice pair of khaki's? That's what I was thinking and maybe a pair of shoes other than his Nikes. I have a good sense of what to wear for myself, but I don't know if restaurants in Italy, or if even the Vatican has a dress code for teens.

Thanks,
Denise

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 10:50 AM
Cheryl Z.

Definetly khakis, nice shirts, maybe the shoes would be ok. Nix the jeans in Italy - the locals tend to "dress up" more, plus it gets too hot for jeans. Even in 90 degree heat when we were there a couple years ago, we saw lots of men wearing long sleeved dress shirts with coat jack slung casually across shoulders, and also women in business clothing and heels flying by on their Vespas! Lots of black or subtle colors for clothing, including the younger crowd.

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 11:43 AM
Judith Alen

I wonder what a 15 year old girl should wear to Italy. We are going in March. Her wardrobe consists of jeans and tennis shoes or short skirts. What clothing is appropriate for her to wear to the Vatican and Rome?

Thanks,
Judy

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 03:24 PM
Cathy

During the past year while on several business and holiday visits to Rome I noticed that the dress code is enforced. Summer clothes on the short side are out. The Vatican has a strict dress code for entering its churches and places of religious worship. It is strictly enforced in St Peters and throughout the Vatican including the Gardens, museums & the Sistine Chapel. Avoid shorts, mini skirits, exposed shoulders etc. In other words cover yourself in a manner befitting a place of worship.

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 01:32 AM
Myriam

Let them wear what they feel comfortable in. It is also their vacation !

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 07:03 AM
Denise

When you deal with 13 year olds, it is hard to "make" them wear anything. However, a few black pants, or khakis' and a few short sleeved button down tailor shirts won't kill him. Some compromise is in order for some places we may visit (Vatican, etc). I know in alot of Europe the "grunge" look is more common then here, but didn't notice it in Italy. Thanks for the advice.
Denise

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 07:55 AM
howard

Maybe not the grunge look, but hey, let him wear jeans. Forget what you've heard about Italians not wearing jeans. They do. And, just about every child we saw in Italy going to or coming from school last November was wearing jeans and sneaks.
As far as dress rules and codes, the restrictions usually refer to no shorts, tank tops and miniskirts in places like the Vatican. Jeans are okay there. Dress code for teens? There's no such thing in Italy.

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 09:11 AM
hamlet

I think jeans are definitely ok for anyone to wear in Italy or anywhere else in Europe. I think some people just don't wear them there because they are too expensive (Levi's at around $85!). As for the Vatican, definitely cover up the legs. Short sleeves are okay, but sleeveless isn't.