Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's your record for planning time vs. actual trip time ratio??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been planning for a trip, Googling like crazy, camping out at the bookstore, and of course reading this board I think around 6 hours a day. Finally it hit me, I do this every time. I estimate a 1.5:1 ratio of average time spent planning a trip vs time spent on the actual trip. This means for a 10-day trip, I estimate I spend an average of 360 hours planning it. That takes into consideration I spend less time researching say eastern US (where I live) than I do Russia which I knew much less about.

Now that probably doesn't come close to some of the real planning addicts on this board. So what is your record, and for which destination?
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My record would be in the opposite direction. Since I am not much of a pre-planner, and only book air and hotel ahead of time, maybe 5 hours total for a 3 week trip?
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:19 AM

My all time record speed, is for our trip to Paris for two weeks over the Holidays.

Two weeks ago, out of the blue, I decided that we absolutely had to take this trip. Talked DH into it in about five minutes, called the owner of an apartment that we had tried to rent last Sept.-Oct. but all of the days were not available at that time, checked with United - and within three hours, the trip was booked.

I usually do what you do flatfeet, I spend hundreds of hours, agonizing, researching and planning and then changing my mind back and forth over our activities.

I usually plan our trips months in advance. As DH says, 'well I guess I've lost you for the next 7 months.

We've spent a lot of time in Paris, but this will be our first Winter trip, so aside from museums, passages, etc.. I will be looking for diffent types of things to do on this trip - problably a lot more indoor activities. I will be Of course be doing research and asking questions here, but hopefully I can do it in a calm, civilized way - RIGHT ;-)

Nina (moi obsessive-compulsive when planning a trip ... no way ;-)
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:22 AM

What I was trying to say, is that I HOPE this will be a 'play it by ear' trip because of the weather. That's never happened before, so pray for a miracle!

Nina
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM

From the time i get the notion into my head that i'd like to visit a certain place ( whether my husband has expressed a wish to visit or not!).. I start researching hotels, air fares, and just read endlessy about the destination, its a much a part of my trip as the actual trip, my family all roll their eyes when they see me sitting at the PC for hours reading about places! Its become a family joke!, but i really enjoy this part of the trip ( maybe i'm sad)
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Great question..
For a 3 week trip I plan for at least 6 month in one form or another. I read this forum, read guidebooks,watch travel videos, & listen to Podcasts.

I enjoy all the research. Reading posts on Fodors is very relaxing for me. It seems as though the trip has already started.

My trip is a little over 2 months off and I am wondering if it is too soon to start to pack.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM

I don't EVEN want to compute the number of hours - the ratio would kill me. I do know that we took a trip to Costa Rica in March that I started thinking about the previous August and planning in earnest in Ocotber. On our return I planned the trip to Italy in 2 1/2 months, which felt quite rushed.

We are thinking about a possible mid-March trip to Spain, which may or may happen due to kids' activities. I just bought the DK Eyewitness Guide to Spain...as I know so little about Spain, I thought it would be good to read up, whether we go in 8 months or 3 years from now!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:19 AM

missypie, I'm like you.

For our trip to Africa in January, I started in August and it was pretty much nonstop whenever I had a free moment that it definitely constituted a second job.

We've been trying to nail down what we want to do this September, and it's positively killing me that we don't have all the details set. Hell, we don't even have a destination picked yet! BostonGal = stressed at this!! =P
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Oh dear, I confess I am a complete planning addict. I have our trips sketched out in my head through at least 2010 and have most of the 2007 trip laid out.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM

As mentioned before half of the fun of my trips is the planning. We just got back from our 2nd big Europe trip and I was actively planning it on and off for about a year. But most of the heavy planning is 4 to 6 months in advance...when I start booking hotels, cars, etc. For those last 4 to 6 months I was spending at least 5 if not 10 hours a week planning/dreaming.

For my last trip the new thing I started doing is using Google Earth to plan a trip. You can create folders and then put placemarks in the folders for each destination. I had a folder for each city we were going to with placemarks for all the important things in the city (arrival airport/train station, hotel, sights to see, departure point). The images for all the European cities are excellent and by the time I got to each city I felt like I already knew it. I spent at least a month wandering the cities from the sky. You can then print out the images and take them along for reference.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:38 AM

TexasAggie, I forget - do you still live in Texas and do you still have kids in the public schools? Since the legislature just imposed a mandatory start date, the school calendars are up in the air. It's driving me carzy to not know if we'll continue to have a week long spring break, etc.

Also, there are so many kids' activites to plan around. Auditions for 9th grade dance team are in May of next year. They have two mandatory summer camps. So at some point - well before my daughter even makes the team!!! - I'm going to have to find out the camp dates and plan around them.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Nina, I completely know what you mean by the back-and-forth with where to go. I'm doing that RIGHT NOW!

And europa, I agree the planning is like starting the trip itself. It's like getting a 30 week armchair vacation for the price of 2
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:10 AM

HORRAY ... it isn't just me. But then I knew that all along judging by the posts here. What kind of nuts are we ... agonizing about every detail months in advance, driving travel companions, in my case DH, completely up the wall.
We're not nuts, we're travelers.

Years ago before I was online, DH had to do quite a bit of my reasearch on his computer for our six week trip. I had everything planned for a stay in Annecy, France, just short of booking the hotel. THEN ... I read about Corsica.

So I did an immediate 360, and was off and running. DH thought that I had really lost it this time, and said something really dumb, like 'why don't we go to Annecy and we can go to Corsica on our next trip?" WRONG ... By then, probably 2 hours later, I had completely forgotten about Annecy!

He _finally_ learned the hard way, that he can't stop my mind from racing in all directions at the same time and now he goes with the flow and always enjoys himself - and thanks me profusely if I found something really special.

Nina
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM

DH relatives from Germany, will be staying in San Francisco with us for three days next month.

Now I know my City pretty well having lived here since I was 7 years old.

I can't begin to tell you the number of hours I have put into their stay (as evidenced paritally by numerous posts on the US board). I have books, maps, brochures, etc... I could have planned a trip to France in the time I've spent on this one _so far_. I still have a month left before their arrival ;-)

Come to think of it, I AM planning my trip to Paris. They may end up seeing the Orangerie and we may be riding a cable car in Paris!

Nina
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:24 AM

I planned a 12-day trip to Japan on 6 days' notice. But I did it with the help of the Asia board and particularly EMD, whose recent trip to Japan was a wonder of planning, insight and completeness. Even with her report, notes, cautions and urls, it took about 20 hours to coordinate everything.

In January DH and I flew to Paris on 5 days' advance planning for New Year's Eve. We had the hotel as part of the site59 deal, so no planning there, and we did engage Michael Osman for a day. Other than that, we winged it. It felt pretty strange, I must admit. Spent about 10 hours getting ready for that one, mostly printouts from websites to take with us and getting together work for the plane.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM

I, too, am a compulsive planner. In March I decided to plan a trip for my sister and I (leaving DH's at home) to Rome and Florence. Although I've been to Florence three times and Venice twice, I've never been to Rome. My sister has never been to Europe. Anyway, I knew very little about Rome when I started the planning and immediately hit Barnes & Noble - both our local store and their website. I guess I spent about $350 on books - Ancient Rome (Livy), Underground Rome, Pilgrimage Rome, High Renaissance Art in the Vatican, Renaissance Architecture of Rome and Florence and others. I've got three of these books going at one time (one I commute with, one by the bed, and one in the "reading room&quot. Hours hve been spent on Fodors and slowtrav. Many e-mails to walking tour comapnies and most on those reservations made. I study my Pocket-Pilot Map of Roma like I'm searching for the Holy Grail. I go through this every time I'm traveleing to a new place. All I can say in my defense is I love the planning and by the time I arrive I'm so familiar with the city that I never get lost and rarely have to search the map to find out where I'm heading. Hey, even in Venice I didn't get lost and we spent alot of time off the beaten path while there (I do confess, though, in Venice I did use my map).
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:34 AM
ira

Hi F,

>I estimate a 1.5:1 ratio of average time spent planning a trip vs time spent on the actual trip.<

I think mine is about the same.

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Like BostonGal, I spend about a year planning a 3-week trip to Africa.

But I'll take off to Paris for a long weekend at the drop of a hat.

Depends on how complicated the trip is. And how expensive it is (for me).
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

I gotta get DH to read this thread so he'd stop thinking he has married a rare breed nutcase

I think Nina's obsessing over research for someone else's trip and of her own hometown is hilarious!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:04 AM

I'M the nutcase. At some point in the next 3 months or so, I'm going to have to ask my daughter's not-very-approachable gymnastics coach whether she thinks my DD will be competing USAG level 7 in December or TAFF level 7 in February and if she competes USAG, does "everyone" make State, or is it really skill based? The ONLY reason I want to know this is that Level 7 USAG state is the last weekend of spring break. Now, what kind of compulsive woman am I going to come off as????!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -