Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite island in the Cyclades and why?

Jun 14th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Greece next spring and will be spending two nights in Athens and three nights in Santorini. But we also want to go to two (maybe three) other islands in the Cyclades. Also, will three nights be enough time for each island? Thanks for your advice!
Jun 14th, 2005, 05:32 PM

We loved Paros. We visited the two major coastal towns (Paroikia and Naoussa), but also rented a car for a few hours to tour the interior. It gave us a whole different experience of a Greek Island-- quieter, somewhat more "real", a sense of history (there's an ancient road that you can walk along). We also ate not very good Mexcan food for dinner in Paroikia-- not a true Greek experience, but a lot of fun, and a change of pace!

We did not go to Naxos, which is right next door, but I have heard very good things about it.

BTW, the car rental was arranged spur-of-the-moment in Paroikia. But be sure to have your US driver's license with you-- this is one situation in which a passport is not adequate ID!
Jun 14th, 2005, 05:33 PM

PS-- Three nights is more than enough for most of the islands, at least the ones I have seen, but it will give you ample time to relax and appreciate the environment. If you have the time, go for it!
Jun 14th, 2005, 08:03 PM

I would have to agree.

Although I loved every minute of our trip, Paros was definitely one of my favorites.

We also rented a car and spent a day touring around. The entire island was beautiful with wonderful views of the ocean. My husband really liked our stop in Antiparos (we took the ferry over to tour the cave and have lunch). My favorite stop was the town of Lefkes. It's a pedestrian only, beautiful village.

We enjoyed eating out and spending some time in Naoussa as well.

We were there in late June last year and it was still fairly quiet.
Jun 14th, 2005, 11:11 PM
JFlorides

Have done a number of different greek island combinations over the years and my favourite was Santorini-Naxos-Paros. Three very different islands each with their own distinctive charms, and easy to get from one to the other. I would highly recommend this combination.

If you go to Paros I would suggest basing yourself in Naoussa, a charming fishing village that will be full of tourists from mainland Greece in August.

Yes, three nights will be enough to get a feel for each island and make you want to come back!

Jun 15th, 2005, 12:04 AM

I would suggest Sifnos island as well!
Jun 15th, 2005, 06:35 AM

My favorite is no secret to regular readers of this board, so apologies to them. I like Naxos very much, but what you like will you'll have to distill from these posts.

I like it because it's a manageable size that takes a few days to truly appreciate because of its diversity. In many ways, it's like Greece in miniature.

It's got a bustling main town, quiet villages, long rural stretches. It's got the best beaches in the Cyclades and wonderful mountain hikes and valleys. It's big enough so you're never bored, but small enough to travel easily.

Other islands have more ``postcard'' good looks, but the beauty in Naxos is that it's not all about catering to tourists, especially Americans. There's plenty of comfort but not a lot of pampering or pandering -- big points in my book.

I recommend Santorini to every first-timer, but each visitor has to decide how long and how important that stunning view is to them. After I've savored the view there for a bit, I've found other islands, including Paros as well as Naxos, provide a better Cyclades experience more in tune to my tastes.