What's your favorite castle in Wales?

Apr 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM
P_M
Original Poster

What's your favorite castle in Wales?

I have been looking at web pages and guidebooks on Welsh castles and I am feeling overwhelmed, as there are so many. I need your help deciding on the must-sees. We're already planning to see Caernarfon, but I would love to hear about the castles you liked the most. If there are any castles you don't think are worth a visit, I welcome those opinions as well. Thanks everyone.
Apr 6th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Caernarfon was impressive, particularly from the outside.
I was fascinated with the ruins of Conwy and loved climbing over nearly every inch of it. One of the most interesting was more of a home than a castle -- Penryn, heir to slate and Jamaican sugar fortunes. We had a very interesting tour there and after looking at lots of "ruins" it was rewarding to see fine interiors where someone could actually live. And of course, you'll visit Bodnant Gardens, even though you can't see inside the house?
Apr 6th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Oh, and of course there's Cardiff Castle!!!!
Apr 7th, 2005, 12:10 AM

Patrick has already mentioned some of my favourites. Conwy, in addition to the castle itself, you can walk round parts of the original town walls. Though there was an original old castle at Penrhyn, much of what you see now is a Victorian, gothic style fantasy castle, now owned by the National Trust. It's a fascinating place to visit, though it would give me nightmares to live there - all those carved faces watching you as you walk round! As well as Caernarvon, there's also Harlech and Baeumaris on Anglesey.

In addition to the castles, I also love Bodnant, we were there a couple of weeks ago for the early camellias - I often thought it would be nice to go round (or live in!) the house but it's not open. Also, on Anglesey is Plas Newydd, not a castle but another National Trust stately home on the Menai Straits, with views over the straits towards the mountains of Snowdonia. It's another on the list of places I'd love to live in (if only!) and has a terrific mural by Rex Whistler that I could stare at for hours.

These might be useful:

http://www.castleuk.net/castle_lists_wales/wales.htm
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/
Apr 7th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Hi P_M
I can only speak for South East Wales as there are so many as you rightly said.
Caerphilly Castle is, I believe one of the largest castles in Europe if not the largest.
Its great to visit with a guide to tell you the tremendous history of the place. Cardiff Castle is of course fabulous but the most intruiging and possibly one of the newest and smallest is Castle Coch, it takes about 30 mins to go around maximum. You could comfortably visit all 3 of these castles in a day.
Thats not forgetting the many others.
check this site too.
http://www.castlewales.com/home.html#Please%20Select

Muck
Apr 7th, 2005, 02:20 AM

Definitely Powis, wonderful castle and magnificent gardens.
Of the ruined castles, I think that Beaumaris Castle is the most romantic.
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Of course, I'd forgotton about Powis, a grand lived in castle rather than a ruin and the gardens are beautiful. Also not too far away is Chirk castle, also a lived in castle and Erddig, an interesting stately home - all 3 National Trust.
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:45 AM

We visited Caernarvon, Conwy, Harlech, Beaumaris and Cricceth and loved them all for different reasons.

Caernarvon had the most "to see." Harlech and Beaumaris were awesome to imagine what life must have been like at that time.
Apr 7th, 2005, 04:24 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. As always, I will note the suggestions from this board and place them into my guidebook. Geez, my guidebook is getting thick!! I've made so many notes from Fodorites on all the threads I've either posted or read. But that's great, and I appreciate everyone's help very much.