Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What's wrong with Search function?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-wrong-with-search-function-730361/)

travelerjan Aug 20th, 2007 07:36 AM

What's wrong with Search function??

Hey folks, what's up with the 'search' function on this forum?

It used to work fine, and I've advised people to slot in a key word or the name of a poster -- but now, you don't get anything recent!!

I tried it myself, using titles I'd posted on, and even my own name -- and nothing showed up except posts from 3 months ago.

Can anything be done??? Or must we tell people to scroll down on a country topic (maybe thru 300 message or more!) to find the desired topic or writer??

I'll appreciate any insights.

Zerlina Aug 20th, 2007 07:45 AM

It doesn't work and hasn't for some time.

But you can find your most recent posts by clicking on your screen name.

Christina Aug 20th, 2007 08:25 AM

Of course it works, it just doesn't search on recent posts, as you found out. In order to find something through a search they have to do something with the post that puts it into the library or index or whatever it is called that can find it. This is not instantaneous, and a long time ago, it never worked on recent posts until they ran that job (I am using all these computer terms loosely, as I don't do that kind of work and don't know what it's called), but they did it about every month. Apparently, they have not done that in several months now for some reason I don't understand, or their ability to do that indexing or whatever is broken. It was never the best way to find a particular person's posts, and you can easily still do that by clicking on the person's name (and that part is up-to-date).

Johnmango Aug 20th, 2007 08:49 AM

There are actually TWO ways you can search, for example, using username.

1) If you type in "Travelerjan" in the box under "search this forum", you will only find threads posted by Travelerjan up to maybe June/July (2 months ago).

2) But if your thread came up, and you point your mouse/cursor on the username "Travelerjan", and right click, you will see all your posts up to the most recent, like today's.

I only find that out recently!

Johnmango Aug 20th, 2007 08:51 AM

Sprry .. I meant put the curor on the Username and LEFT-click, not right-click.

Travelnut Aug 20th, 2007 09:17 AM

You can also search via Google 'advance' and use fodors.com/forums in the Domain field. It will find exact phrases.

Jean Aug 20th, 2007 10:43 AM

You also get different results if you click on your name at the top of the screen ("Welcome: Jean") and click on your name at the left side ("User: Jean"). Another mystery.

FainaAgain Aug 20th, 2007 12:02 PM

TravelNut, I got a correction from Fodor's on "news and announcements" - you don't have to go to "advanced" just type in blah blah blah fodors.com and this will pull up Fodor's threads.

The major headache with that, if you click on one of them and go to Fodor's, realize this is not what you're looking for, you can't go back. The back button doesn't work. You're stuck with Fodor's or you have to start the Google search over.

Major bummer!

Katie_H Aug 20th, 2007 12:07 PM

Faina--- I noted that too; however, when I hit the back button multiple times it does go back.

I apologize for not having a search update this past Friday; I didn't have any good news to report. I'll send this thread along.