Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's up with the stingy amount of restaurant reccomendations from NYCFoodSnob?

Search

What's up with the stingy amount of restaurant reccomendations from NYCFoodSnob?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps my search skills are lacking, but I was hoping for more from this Fodor contributer with discerning taste who doesn't hesitate to speak her mind. All I could find were 2 restaurants recommendations for Venice (Al Gatto Nero and Ristorante Riviera)and a restaurant of vague location with no name in Rome. Hmm.

Oh well. I will avail myself of the generousity of Dean (Tuscany restaurant reviews through slowtrav-love his star system)and Divina Cucina (northern Tuscany restaurants). Is everyone in agreement that I should follow these food mavens' palates around Italy? (It does leave a few holes though- perhaps we should eat at La Tartaruga every night while in Rome.)Any dissenters?
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:54 AM
JonJon

First of all, the notion that the indivdiual in question has "discerning taste" is an assumption at best. Oh, the person writes a good story but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Are you going to send this person the bill when you go to one of the "recommended" spots and it turns out that your "discrening taste" isn't quite the same...in other words the joint was the pits?

Forget it....do some adventuring on yourf own.

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

JonJon: Life is too short to waste taste, time, money and calories on mediocre food. (This may be a partial quote from Dean, I think.) And there's lots of mediocre food out there. That's why one needs reviews and recommendations to help cut the odds.

Though I agree with you that one person's discerning taste can differ greatly from another's, the more acclaims a restaurant or reviewer gets the more one can rely on these opinions. So that is why I am asking this question.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:50 AM

If I ever wanted something special from someone, the last thing I would do is call them "stingy."

RDixon, it seems to me NYCFS has helped you on several threads. The selfish and inconsiderate attitude you display here, with yet another needy thread, is good reason to offer you nothing more. I've read that NYCFS doesn't like lazy people and now I wonder how she feels about the greedy and the ungrateful.

I won't give away most of my favorite restaurants on a public forum because I don't want to find myself sitting next to many of the personalities that post here, including you. I prefer to enjoy my meal with people who respect the work that goes into making a dining experience great and the knowledgable people who love and report on such experiences. Flash-in-the-pan research usually yields burnt-in-the-pan results.

I remember several restaurant threads where NYCFS offered names of favorites in Rome and Venice. Many of her favorites were my favorites, too, and I know great food! There's no doubt in my mind, JonJon, she's as credible as they get. Since many fodorites thought it proper to throw stones at her on those threads, maybe, they have been pulled. One wonders why she's still here.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Actually, Gatto Nero is on the island of Burano, not in Venice proper. I have eaten at the restaurant and highly recommend it, as they have extremely fresh seafood. It is a very simple establishment, however. So, if you are looking for Murano glass chandeliers and brocade curtains, this isn't the place.