What's Trier like in winter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to vacation scheduling at work, I am planning my next trip (Germany and Netherlands) during the first 10 days or so of December. One destination I've got my eye on is Trier. Would it be enjoyable even though cold? I know from guidebooks, etc. that the Roman sites are close together and walkable. I would be coming from Frankfurt and then going on towards Amsterdam from Trier, via train. Thoughts, memories, opinions from anyone? Thank you!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:20 PM

Dovima;

First, you do have the cold part right. Trier is a great walking town, although I could not tell you how it will be in December. During the time you are there the Christmas market should be in full swing, so if it gets too cold stop for some warm spiced wine or hot chocolate. It is usually served in collector mugs with the name of the city on them!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:36 PM

Dovima -

I've been to Trier several times, but never in the winter. I love Germany when it's cold - it's almost like that's how it's 'supposed' to be, if that makes any sense.

Trier is very walkable - wear warm shoes and socks and stop to get your feet warmed up - and you'll love it!

One thing I've found about Germany in late November/early December is that it's very very damp. So - you want to dress warm, but waterproof, too. Otherwise you end up soggy, even if you never realized it was raining.

Enjoy. Trier is wonderful and I have some amazing memories of the place.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Clea and celticdreams.
Which of the Roman ruins in Trier did you particularly ejoy seeing? Any hotel recommendations?

Celticdreams, I do get what you mean about the cold being the way Germany is "supposed" to be. I have the same feeling about San Francisco in the summer fog - it's the city revelling in its element!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:11 AM

Definitely cold, damp & rather bleak looking. But, if you are prepared for that, it should be fine. I was there briefly in the first week of January one year. Frigid!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:14 AM

I used to live there and it will be damp (read either snow or rain) and cold, but like another poster said, it just gives you an excuse to stop for hot chocolate or spiced rum etc! Everything is in walking distance of each other (which will help keep you warm) and if you keep an umbrella handy and/or wear appropriate clothing you should be fine.

My personal favorites to see in Trier: the Roman Baths (great place to explore), the Roman Museum in Trier (another place to go inside and dry off), the Dom - where the robe that is reputed to be Christ's is kept (and part of it is roman). For something completly different, the house where Karl Marx grew up is in the city Fussganger zone (very interesting), the Porta Nigrea is interesting but really not much to see from the inside, as is the Ampitheatre. Last time I was there (about 5 years ago) they were uncovering some more Roman Ruins in downtown, so that might be completed by now. Really, Trier is such an old town that most of it is Roman without you even having to look for it - the bridge into town was Roman and is still in use for example.