Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the weather like right now in London and Paris?

Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

DH and I leave Thursday for London and Paris, and we'll be there for 10 days. What has the weather been like lately there? I have been checking forecasts, but I just want to get a handle on it all for packing purposes. I'm not sure what kind of clothes to pack. We're used to hot weather in the summer here in Massachusetts, but it seems like these 2 cities aren't as hot? The forecasts seem to be mostly in the 60's. Am I crazy to bring capris and skirts? Will I be chilly? Thanks so much!
Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM

On average London and Paris are cooler than NYC and Boston. They rarely get the 95/100 degree days that we do in the summer. but it is frequently in the 80s and can hit 90s in a heat wave. So -plan for summer -but bring a light jacket and a cotton sweater for evenings.
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:08 PM

check http://www.weather.com and enter city/country
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler: That's what I was thinking...thanks!
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM

The forecast for London is rain, rain, rain, apparently summer has been cancelled
Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:58 PM

Non stop rain in Paris today.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:17 AM

Hi--we're on our 5th day of an extended London visit; I keep kicking myself for not bringing more long-sleeved shirts. I have worn a jacket every day, doffing it for the mere minutes at a time when the glorious sun pops out. It has been raining significantly every day. the evenings are quite cool. The weather reports do not emphasize the breeze, constant enough to add to the chill. I only brought my short rain jacket, but would have done much better with a knee-length one. I do have a good selection of jackets. Have not been but in one skirt, and have been comfortable in my capris.
Final idea: bring your umbrella with the longest handle you can manage!! Your arm will tire of the shorty quickly!
We have 3 little kids and have been everywhere in the rain. One afternoon, it cleared up while we were near the Eye, so we cancelled our plans and made a beeline there, got in, and up with no lines other than a 10-minute wait to buy the tickets---the visibility was perfect and the contrast of the brightly sunlit city against the black of the background sky was breathtaking!
Good luck, and pack an extra pair of slacks for me!
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM

Forecast to Friday is rain - possibly hailstorms Wednesday. Saturday is brighter - maybe the rain has passed.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:36 AM

The weather here (I live 30 miles from London) has been awful Im afraid! Rain, rain and more rain!! Its more like early Spring. The temperatures are not going above about 17oC.... bring a brolly, pack a mac and good stout shoes! Doesnt seem to be any let up at the moment, this weather has really got a grip on us. It's the worst July that I can recall in my recent memory! Hey the sun has just made an appearance. Poor old Wimbledon, its more covers on than tennis matches being played too. Not much fun for the spectators
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:07 AM

Ha! You're calling it "Spring" in England. We're calling it "November" in France.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:34 AM

We've been getting our summer days on the weekends and our rainy cool days during the week. Now that's Swiss timing for you.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:39 AM

I haven't found it that cold in the UK but it has been very wet. Make sure you have a waterproof top-layer but I wouldn't go for winter warm stuff as you'll get too hot. Especially when you go indoors again.

Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:50 AM

The BBC long term forecast (next two weeks) is for warmer but still showery. Not as wet as now.
I hope they are right. They also say it will pick up towards the end of July.
A local Dutch weatherman, Piet Paulusma - no qualifications but incredibly accurate), assures us it will be a lovely August. It needs to be!
Meanwhile it is raining again here, and I've got a fleece on to keep warm
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:50 AM

Apparently, La Niña will be giving us a bad summer this year. There just had to be a way to put the blame across the Atlantic....
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Yikes -- sounds like lots of rain! We will definitely take an umbrella, and zip-up sweatshirts, light sweaters to go over summery clothes, etc...Thanks so much for all your responses!
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:53 AM

I take back the not-very-cold comment.

Right now I'm about 15 miles outside London and we are having a really heavy hail storm!
Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:54 AM

Don't bring just an umbrella and no waterproof coat (hail or no hail) as it won't protect you enough. Rain can go sideways!
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:30 AM

I too was wondering what the weather is like in these two cities as we leave on the 25th. Disappointing at how bad the weather is, especially since we decided to go back to Paris in the summer as our first visit was in the winter. I actually think it rained less then, than it is now.