Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the shortest transatlantic vacation you ever took?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would anyone consider five days abroad if that's all time and money allow? Please share your experiences with short vacations. Did it end with you wanting more? Did you feel like it made the flight worthwhile?
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM

Less than 2 days. Perfectly adequate for the purpose.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM

I have gone to both Amsterdam & Paris on e-savers, leave on Thursday (night), returning Tuesday (around Noon). Yes, it was well worth it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM

From the west coast to Paris, leaving on Thursday afternoon, arriving Friday noon, and returning home Wednesday.

Costly for what it was, but it was then or, well, not never, but not for a long time!

In similar circumstances, I'd do it again.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM

My bestfriend and I used to go to London from Thursday to Sunday to go shopping. We were young and crazy.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM

A few years ago, when air fare was cheaper, I would take just one "sick day" before or after the Thanksgiving long-weekend for a 5-day trip. Now that plane tickets cost so much more, I probably won't do that anymore.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM

Just back last night from a short trip to the UK for a wedding. Left on Wednesday (from East Coast). Absolutely worth it! Took a sleeping pill and slept on the plane. Was a bit tired but not terrible the first day, went to bed early and was fine after that. When I got home yesterday, I made my self stay awake until 9pm and woke up and was fine this morning. Fading now though (8pm). I've done similar trips before. I leave nearly every trip wanting more. Who wants to come home to dirty laundry, cooking and work! If you are adaptable and have a decent flight (direct, not too long), it is definitely fine.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM

Three nights in Paris from Boston. Would do it at the drop of a hat. I love short trips; carry-on, hop onto RER into city. We even rent apartments for 3 nights. We've done it more than once. Of course, I would love to stay longer, but I can't always do that. High airfares are keeping me from doing the quick trip this year.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM

5 days in Edinburgh, totally worth it.
Would do it again.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:12 PM

Four hours. This probably doesn't count, because a) it wasn't a vacation, and b) I got the ride free when I worked at TWA.

There was a JFK-LON-JFK flight that stopped in SNN in both directions. One of our programming group would be designated to do a "booze run" every few weeks, flying to Shannon, stocking up, and picking up the turnaround.

But everybody in the department made 2- or 3-day weekends once or more a month. When you could ride first class for a $5 surcharge, traveling all over was irresistible.

I used to get wine by the crate from a <i>Nicolas</i> shop in Paris - in returnable bottles!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM

Amsterdam for three nights (from Chicago). Worth it? Absolutely!

Not vacations...but I've done a number of work trips to London for one night--with less than 48 hours been wheels up and down at O'Hare. Those were brutal at first, but good preparation I guess for adjusting to the time difference.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM

I've done short trips many more times than once! My female traveling group did a trip to Paris one year and a trip to Madrid the next. We left on Thursday night and returned on Sunday. My husband and I have made trips to Venice and Paris for Thanksgiving leaving on Wednesday night and returning on Sunday. I took a multi-generational family trip to London for one Thanksgiving. I always go to work on Monday after these trips! I have been to all of these cities several times, so a short trip was easy to do, because I knew my way around. That helps. It would be hard to do a new city in just 2.5 days.

Not across the ocean, but last October, my friend and I went to visit my god-daughter in Montevideo, Uruguay. We left on Saturday night, spent 2 night in Montevideo, took the Buquebus to Buenos Aires and spent Tuesday night and left late on Wednesday night to come home. In March, I did get to return to both cities to spend more time.

I love to travel, and, because of my job, I have to squeeze in trips when I can, especially since I like to go at least twice a year. It is expensive, but at 56, if I only have 20 good traveling years left, I want to go as many times as I can!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM

DH, adult daughter and I took a air/hotel package to London (from Ohio) for a long weekend. Left Thursday night, returned Tuesday. Had an absolute ball!

I'd do it again if I had to, but now that DH and I are kind of retired we don't have to rush.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM

We've done Venice and Paris both for 4 nights each (different trips). Like most people who have responded, we'd also do it again in a heartbeat! I guess it's easier for those of us who live on the east coast but would be really bad if our flight was delayed or cancelled!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to do 5 days if that's all you can fit in. Once did Paris for 3 nights (left Wed pm, arrived Thurs am, flew back to Chicago Sun noon). Thought jet lag might be a problem, but wasn't at all. I'm sure it will leave you wanting more, but 2 weeks might leave you feeling like that too. I felt like the time spent on the plane was worthwhile, but of course when you're paying a lot for airfare, you'd rather &quot;spread&quot; it over a two week trip than a 5 day trip...but either way, it's a fixed cost!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Back in the early 90s I'd regularly go to Dublin from Boston, leaving Thursday night and returning Monday morning. Aer Lingus used to have fabulous packages with air/hotel for about $500 off-season. Those were the days...
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM

I've done amsterdam, bruges and heidelburg on 4 day trips within the past 4 years. all wonderful and well worth it. just focus on one place, plan your time and don't dwaddle. we had time to do a side trip on each - to brussels, baden baden and kuekenhof gardens. You'll come home tired but with tons of memories.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM

Over the past 5 years, during winter months, there would be cheap last-minute weekend fares (less than $350) from NY to London or Paris. We would leave on Friday night, arrive on Saturday, and return to NY on Monday. London was particularly fun - we would catch an 8 a.m. flight from London, sleep a few more hours on the plane, and be back at our desks in the city before noon. No need to take the day off!

Alas, with gas prices equating to higher air fares coupled with the weak dollar, I don't see us doing that this winter!

You will want more, but it will absolutely be worth it - just don't give in to jetlag!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM

I've done NYC to London several times for long weekends.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM

Forgot to add. I would do it again, and will. It's easier when you've already &quot;done&quot; the city, but I would never discourage a short stay in a city you are visiting for the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -