Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the obsession with the size of bathrooms?

Nov 26th, 2007, 11:31 PM
lyb
Original Poster

I often see posts about people complaining about the size of the bathrooms. That there wasn't a lot of room, but it was clean, etc...

I always wonder, what exactly are people doing in their bathroom while on vacation, how much time are they spending in their bathroom that they care that much about the size of the bathroom?

Just exactly what is the obsession about the size of the bathrooms? I can understand if it's an apartment/home that you're going to rent/own and live in? but while traveling?

Nov 26th, 2007, 11:34 PM

I think some people hate the feeling of being cramped. It is a pleasant feeling to be able to lay out your clothes and shower without fear of them getting soaked in a 3x3 combined shower, toilet, and sink . If you are traveling with children or anyone other than your significant other, it's nice to be able to undress and dress completely and comfortably within the bathroom. Otherwise, arranging privacy takes a lot more effort.
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:51 PM

I agree - it seems odd to me. The size of the bathroom is quite immaterial to me - but then I generally only travel with my husband. Would never get dressed in the bathroom at home or away.

The other 'obsession' which amuses me is bed size and bedroom size. Again not something which concerns me overly but obviously important to many.
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:04 AM

It is no "obsession", it is a matter of comfort.

Some people enjoy relaxing in the bathtub after a day of walking and sightseeing. And it is nice if you have some space.

And sometimes it helps if the bathroom is large enough for both spouses to get ready at the same time (double sinks help a lot).
Nov 27th, 2007, 01:00 AM

I'm not particularly bothered about bathroom size either. It's certainly not an important criterion for me when I'm choosing a hotel.

If I do end up somewhere with a big bathroom I see it as a bonus, but really it's never been a problem for us to make do with a small bathroom.

The only thing I don't much like are those showers which are just a drain in the floor, with no proper shower tray or tub.
Nov 27th, 2007, 01:08 AM

I have stayed at cheap hotels and yes, the size of bathrooms and the bedrooms do matter.

When there is hardly any room in a bathroom and the door cannot be opened fully, it takes not only much longer to get ready in the morning with two of us but also affects our relationships as we constantly bump against each other.

I have also stayed in a room where there is literally only about a shoe width worth of space around the beds. It was painful to constantly scrape my ankles against the bed frame or the furniture.

The bathroom and bedroom sizes are like saltshaker lids: you miss them when they are gone.
Nov 27th, 2007, 01:28 AM

For those worried about the size of bedrooms and bathrooms in Europe, stay in a budget hotel in Hong Kong some day and you will be cured forever.
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:03 AM

Does it amke sense that usually, "budget" accommodations bring along "budget"-sized rooms?
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:10 AM

More fun! Travellers like to talk about their foreign visits. It is a 'provenance' of touring. Subtle complaints or comments about their accommodations often imply that their home digs are far superior. To be really 'with it', I suggest comparing bathrooms with any Austrian hotel model. I told a Polish friend about this posting, she was not polite. "How big were they?".
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:36 AM

It all depends on what you are travelling for to start with.

I often travel with my wife she is also my business partner for inspections, trade fairs etc. I do not mind much for a bath tube but the size matters in this case. To put cosmetics, tootbrushes, shaving gear by the sink is a problem, while one get ready another taking shower etc at a certain comfort is important. Even to have two seperate wash basins & sink is life saver.... In the other hand a comfortable and well lit bathroom sometimes more important than size of the bed... Room size matters if you even can not find a place to fit your luggages.

At the end of the day everyones travel habits are varies. I consult a small hotel while building, owner had the idea to fit 19 rooms at caves of Cappadocia and I insist on bigger rooms and bathrooms with two sinks. Now he sells his rooms 3 times more than he could sell with the smaller rooms.

Happy travelling
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:45 AM

By definition, hotels are ghastly.

All of them. Cheap or dear. Unless you're in the odd position of being poor, but staying in a very, very, posh hotel you're inevitably being forced to conduct your life in less space at a hotel than you're used to at home.

Worse, you often can't use in a hotel the routines you're used to at home for sharing space, and typically you all want to use the same space at the same time.

Bathrooms are particularly tricky. Not only do hotel bathrooms never have enough room to store the contents of Mrs F's wash bags (always plural), and many European bathrooms lack space for shaving kit to be laid out properly, but many people are uncomfortable about one member of the family using the lavatory while others are washing their hands.
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:55 AM

>>>many people are uncomfortable about one member of the family using the lavatory while others are washing their hands.<<<

Cannot handwashing wait or be interrupted till the other one has finished?

Nov 27th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Many big, fat Americans have to have a "wide stance" when sitting on the toilet to take a dump. Just look at Larry Craig. A large bathroom is also great if you invite a police officer over to take a shower with you. He has to have someplace to put his nightstick, doesn't he?

Thinnny
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Weekender

Thinny:

Good one!

Nov 27th, 2007, 06:08 AM
ira

Hi L,

Immense bathrooms (spas) are this week's flavor of the month.

A neighbor down the street recently redid her home.

The Master Bath is as large as the Master Bedroom.

It has heated marble tile floors.

A Jacuzzi large enough for 3.

A shower stall, with umpteen spray nozzles, large enough for 2.

Double wash stands.

A separate closet for the commode.

She lives alone.

Nov 27th, 2007, 06:21 AM

I understand being concerned with space, bedsize etc...but not when on a budget. What gets me is the request for hotels under 100 euros per night but they must be in a certain location and must have this amenity or that amenity...you get what you pay for. I am not being sarcastic but reasonable. If I am on a budget I just want a bed and a bath and if there are quality or amentiy issues upon my stay it's my problem and not hotel management's problem as long as there were no blatant lies made by the hotel. Live and learn and dont' go back.
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:38 AM

I stayed at a hotel in Mykonos and the bathroom was so small I could sit on the toilet and take a shower at the same time!

The problem is, I don't like to be rushed in the bathroom.
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:43 AM
hdm

I don't care much about bathroom size or even bed size (we only have a double at home) but room size can be important.

Our hotel in Rome was lovely and the bathroom was giant but there was little extra room in the bedroom to move around. The real problem though, was that there was very little closet/drawer space. I don't mind living out of my suitcase for a few days but there wasn't much room to put the two suitcases down either. So, yes, bedroom size can be meaningful. Bathroom? Who cares?
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:44 AM

"She lives alone."

But is redecorating with a view to selling at some point? It's pretty much axiomatic that the kitchen and master bath sell the house. The rest is just square feet.
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:10 AM
ira

Hi Robe,

>It's pretty much axiomatic that the kitchen and master bath sell the house.

OK.

She also has a 20 x 20 kitchen with a 6 burner Viking range and 2 wall ovens, a full-size fridge and a full-size freezer, 2 sinks, an island w/dishwasher and trash compactor and a wine cooler that holds 24 bottles (currently empty).

I guess that this means that she has a very salable house.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO