What's the 'must have' from Sicily?

Jun 17th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

What's the 'must have' from Sicily?

What's the 'must have' from Sicily? It's my 2nd trip and I don't want to regret having not picked something up while I had the chance.
Jun 17th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Passito di Pantelleria! If you visit Palermo, go to Ai Vini d'Oro and sample before you buy. And there are several places to taste in and around Marsala.
Jun 17th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Coral jewelry from a nice jewelry store. I ended up buying a gorgeous coral bracelet in a Taormina shop. Taormina is definitely more touristy and pricey than the other towns, but I bought it there because we were majorly pressed for time. Native Sicilians had recommended that I search for coral in Trapani, but we simply did not have the time to go there. Maybe next time...

Also, a lot of nice, reasonably priced wines. The ETNA ROSSO 2001 (Sicilian red) was very special--ask locals for a recommendation.

Finally, any food product: local capers packed in salt (if you like to cook), local honey...

Enjoy!
Jun 18th, 2004, 05:19 AM

P.S. Try to avoid buying coral at one of those tourist knick-knack shops (possibly fake coral). Ask a local about a reputable jewelry store.
Jun 18th, 2004, 05:31 AM

I bought some wonderful orange/honey marmalade at a shop in Taormina that featured local products (and let you sample them!). Wish I had brought back more.

Search this Thread