Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the latest on driving ito the Czech Republic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The family wants me to set up a trip where we visit Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest and Munich. I know there are restrictions on driving rental cars into Prague. Has that changed? And can anybody suggest a rental company that allows it? There are 7, maybe 8, of us so I'm thinking van. I got a fantastic rate with Europcar only to find that they won't let me drive into Hungary or Czech Republic.

And please don't suggest trains. Rail travel just between Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest for the 7 of us would be more than the cost of a van for ten days.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, zeus,

I'm hitting the same sort of problem for our hoped for trip next year. I think I've got round it by renting in Prague - means we've got to fly into and out of there but that's ok for our route [prague, Vienna Krakow, Dresden, Prague].

not sure that this will work for your route though.

Autoeurope is a firm often lauded on this board, also someone called andy from www.gemut.com. [I just googled them and have put in my proposed trip as a test to see what happens - thier site looks very informative about eastern europe generally.]

regards, ann
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:15 PM

>Has that changed?
No, small cars are more likely to be allowed. At train routes around the VW factory in Bratislava (Pressburg) burglaries are still at all time highs. ;-)
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:18 PM

We drove from Austria to Czech a few years ago when we rented through Auto Europe. Just let them know in advance that you are driving in Czech, as I believe certain car makes and models can't be driven there.

Tracy
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I was stopped for speeding at the Prague exit, along with just about every other car that exited there (they had posted an absurdly low speed limit -- an obvious speed trap). The policeman let me go when I said I didn't have any Czech currency. Jeez, I am really lucky sometimes.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Annhig - Funny you should mention www.gemut.com, I just finished an email to them asking whether they think any company will let me rent a van to drive in there.

I'm already recalculating my proposed route (I have to fly into Germany due to the free tickets we won). Now I'm considering flying Cologne to Prague on Germanwings. About 50 Euro each way is better than the train fare, but that adds up quickly too when you're taking 7 people.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Hi
I wouldn't drive in Prague. If you plan though check out Autoeurope, but be sure to tell them where you are going to drive to with the van, as some companies have restrictions. As a wholesalerthey have more access to different companies.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM

It would be a good idea to look at the cost of gasoline and tolls before you dis the train. The van is still probably cheaper but consider ancilliary costs before making a decision.

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Unless something has changed, my husband and I rented a car in Munich last year and drove into the Czech Republic with no problem. It was noted on our paperwork when we reserved. When you cross the Czech border you'll have to get a sticker for your windshield like you do in Austria.

I rented through Gemut.com and have reservations with them for my upcoming Germany trip as well.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sticker permits driving on the expressways (whether in Czech/Slovak Rep. or in Austria)
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Just to update anyone who might care:

I heard back from Andy Bestor at Gemut and he had great news - a 9 psgr van that is ok to drive into Czech Republic AND Hungary. I also got the ok from Novacar for a 7 psgr van, but not a 9 psgr.

I appreciate all your replies and suggestions. As for gas costs, I have requested diesel which is significantly cheaper then regular gas in Europe. Trains seem romantic to many, but I hate them. They restrict my mobility far too much. I try to squeeze out every second I'm in Europe so I don't want to be waiting around for bus or taxi connections. And in order to save money on accomodations, I find having a car gets me to the "charming" and cheaper Zimmer Freis and pensions more easily. Not to mention the higher costs for my relatively large group.

And as far as driving INTO Prague...I'm not that stupid. I booked a suburban hotel with parking. We'll commute via the tram. Based on all the nasty stuff I've read on Fodor's regarding the Prague subway, I'm staying out of there!

And one last thing: I'm one of the guys who continually chided those who asked about the International Driver's License. I used to waste my money on them back in the early 70's when I was a young neophyte traveler. Over time I realized that everybody in Europe could make out the important info on my U.S. license without a need to have it translated. I told other Fodorites not to waste the cost of a couple beers on such a frivolity. But now that I'm going into "foreign territory" I just might toss away $25 in getting one at AAA. Do I have to have one or do you guys suggest I do it?
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, Zeus,

Why not ask Andy about it?

He promptly e-mailed an answer to my request for a quote but it's too early to get one.

when are you going, how much are you being charged for the van, and pleeease can we have a trip report?

regards, ann