What's the deal with Fish N' Chips?

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the deal with Fish N' Chips?

We just got back from three days in London. Got into a couple of recommended pubs on different lunch days - Hog in the Pound on Oxford Street and The Grape-something near Harrods in Knightsbridge.

In both pubs, we wanted to try local foods and had Beef with Yorkshire Pudding and Fish and Chips. In both instances, they managed to turn potentially tasty meats and fishes and turned them into the blandest-tasting food I've had in a long time. I did notice, though, that most customers (locals) had fork in one hand and salt-shaker in the other.
Should we have taken our cues from them and pared down any expectations on enlightening our taste buds?

Oh, and by the way, the lukewarm beer suddenly tasted a lot better in helping down the dish.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 03:36 AM
ira

Hi ez,

>...the lukewarm beer suddenly tasted a lot better in helping down the dish.<

That's why they do it that way.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 03:57 AM

I have been to both but never eaten there. I am not surprised they were bland, they are on the tourist trail. The more touristy an area the worse the food from my experience. Very few places in my opinion are going to serves an excellent roast for the prices paid in pubs. I would say the salt pepped up the food .

I think the second place is called Bunch of Grapes.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 04:33 AM

My expectation would be to add my own seasoning anywhere. There can't be many pubs that would adopt the Nico Ladenis line and chuck people out for asking for the salt.

I don't know the pubs concerned, but my prejudiced assumption is that most hot food in pubs is microwaved from frozen anyway, and I wouldn't expect it to be much more than fuel. And fish and chips has lost all its savour since they stopped wrapping it in the News of the World ("Priest elopes with Mother Superior - see p.12").

Room temperature beer, on the other hand, at least allows you some chance of flavour, unlike certain icy chemical mixtures that masquerade as beer...
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Plus, a little self education before you left would have informed you that you only have to drink "lukewarm" beer if you want to. If one knows how to order in a pub then it is quite possible to get a nice chilled lager. Really. Get over it.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:02 AM

Curt: it's very difficult to drink a nice chilled lager in London. But it's very easy to drink a cold, tasteless fizzy drink.

ezlivin:
Fish and chips (the "'n'" is best avoided) should never be tried in a pub - least of all in a London shopping street: cooking it properly requires attention to the quality and freshness of the fish, the blending of the batter and the fat temperature that just can't be realistically expected in any pub.

Anyone recommending different shouldn't be trusted. Salt and (malt) vinegar is mandatory on chips and, when the fish is badly cooked, equally necessary on the fish.

Some pubs can do roast beef properly: it, though NOT roast potatoes, lends itself to a reasonably professionally run pub kitchen. The chances of such a place being found near Oxford Street or Knightsbridge are close to zero. Some country pubs do it very well indeed, but you need a proper guide book.

For future reference, if you want reliable food near Oxford Street, go to Chinatown, track down Mash, go up to Carluccio's in St Christopher's Place or graze from the take-away stuff at M+S or Selfridge's.

Chasing "local food" is a terrible mistake in Britain - and especially in central London. Unless you accept that Indian and Chinese are as authentically English as frankurters or spaghetti+meatballs are American.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:03 AM

we just spent a few days there and did notice that many go heavy with the salt shaker. We ate mostly in the neighborhood we stayed (So. Kens). The 1st night, we too, wanted an 'authentic' pub meal. We went to a place nearby call Zetland Arms which boastet 'the best fish n' chips' (but so did every other pub in the area!). This palce also had a non-smoking section (I couldn't stand it without), anyway, the fish n' chips were very good. The fish was very fresh and tasty. We were not disappointed. 3 nights later we ate at another local spot (Hereford Arms), my husband and daughter went for the Fish again, but it wasn't as good (not bad, but not as good, not as fresh tasting). The place itself was very pleasant (also had non-smoke area) and their 1/2 bbq'd chicken was excellent.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:08 AM

Just wanted to add that in both pubs, the fish was in a beer batter. Whether or not that's authentic, I don't know.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:09 AM

Fish & chips are traditionally bought from a chip shop, not from a pub. In my opinion, it doesn't go very well with beer anyway. I don't know these pubs, but they sound more like tourist pubs rather than pubs for locals. If you want a traditional pub lunch, it's best to go away from central London. Traditional English beer is served at cellar temperature which is just below room temperature, so should not be lukewarm. That way, you can appreciate the flavour; chilled beer usually tastes of nothing.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Hey Curt,
As a very frequent traveller, one of my goals is to try local foods and drinks.
I heard about lukewarm beer before and the bartender in the Hog suggested that that's what I try since it is not done in the US.
Granted that this issue deeply concerned you, all I can say is that I've tried it now and most likely for the last time. Yes, I'm certainly over it now. I trust that you are, too.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 06:43 AM

|Geoff is right about the fish and chips. You will not get the authentic ones in a pub.
The real thing will be from a chipper to take away or sit in a basic cafe area (i.e. plastic Mc'd's type tables not luxury). This is much fresher and nicer fish and chips.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 06:52 AM

First trip to London we stopped into the Bunch of Grapes on Cromwell. You're right--lousy food. Also surly service.

Learned our lesson--avoid "tourist" area pubs that look a little too charming

The exception for us would be the White Lion in Covent Garden. Go upstairs for great chicken/ham/mushroom pie or fish and chips.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 07:28 AM

My kids would love to visit London, but what is holding me back are my memories of the food last time I was there. I know one shouldn't trash a whole nation's food but goodness, how about some seasonings?!!! In all fairness, I was 2 1/2 months pregnant and quite sick as it was, and the heavy bland foods just about put me over the edge. (The kids would probably love the food.)
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 07:28 AM

I visited England when I was 8 (almost 20 years ago), and one of my most vivid memories is sitting on some stairs outside (in March!!), eating fish and chips with my Dad. They were doused in malt vinegar and salt and piping hot, just the way they should be. No place in the States has lived up to that memory!
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Hmmmm......last week I had fish & mash (I substituted for chips) at Jack Horner near the Tottenham Court tube stop. It was delicious and huge! I was actually in love with the mash more, though--it was buttery and creamy, just the way I like it. The place looked a bit touristy, too.

I've also had fish & chips at Geale's, but it's been a while. at that time, though, my order was quite wonderful.

Don't get me wrong--I was checking out my friend's order at the Founders Arms and it looked rather heavily breaded and "just OK." Her chips were definitely the frozen kind. I think it just depends where you eat.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:39 AM

The American version of that is for English tourists to go into Ruby Tuesdays for a local meal. You do the math.

BTW, your experience sounds like you were visiting in 1982.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Last trip to London was 2001, just a two day pass throught to Paris. We had great fish & chips at a walk with small seating next door. Usually look for neighborhood people walking away with paper cones full of chips. The best food in London is definetly Indian, especially on Drummond St., not far from the British Museum. Bland will not be a problem.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 10:26 AM

We were in London last month and had two really great Fish & Chips experiences. The first place was North Sea Fish in Bloomsbury and the other was at Cafe 7 in the Tate Modern. One other pleasant surprise - both had excellent and fairly reasonable wine lists.
JoeG
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 10:38 AM
ira

This reminds me of a trip to Edinburgh.

Came across a Fish&Chips place that looked authentic - at least there were two lines of locals.

Wife got F&C. I got a Scotch egg.

Absolutely horrible.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 10:40 AM
ira

PS,

Not meant to put down all eating establishments in the UK. We did have some very nice meals that trip.

It's just that it looked sooooo non-tourist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -