Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the book about moving to Paris...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading a review someplace quite awhile ago about an American woman who moved to Paris. All I recall of the review was that she started out wanting to live like her impression of how "locals" live, and after awhile of shopping at the markets ended up shopping in grocery stores (or something like that)...

Any clues?

Thanks!!!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:12 AM
tod

The only one that comes to mind is "Almost French" - A New Life in Paris by Sarah Turnbull, but it can't be that book because she was from Sydney Australia. Sorry wliwl!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:42 AM

The book "C'est la Vie"? By Suzy somebody, I think. I haven't read it but it's about an American woman who moves to Paris.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Suzy Gershman wrote C'est la Vie about her move to Paris after her husband's death.

Harriet Welty Rochefort wrote French Toast and French Fried about her life in France married to a Frenchman.

I just (yesterday) started reading Diane Johnson's Into a French Quartier.

Don't know if any of those might be what your after. Good Luck.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 09:09 AM

It might have been "What The Heck Was I Thinking?" by Sally Spinster.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 09:13 AM

There are a lot of books about people moving to foreign countries and various adventures or impressions (or mishaps, usually there is an attempt for a comic tone), and several about Paris with that description which I've read, so it's hard to say. I don't remember particular incidents about grocery stores, but I think most people in Paris would shop both at markets and grocery stores at times.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 09:27 AM

I moved to Paris about 20 years ago but didn't write a book about it. I think that the quintessential moving to France book is Peter Mayle's "A Year in Provence." I did shop in the open markets at Place Maubert. It was around the corner from my place and is a great neighborhood.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:06 AM

ive just about finished reading almost french, by sarah turnbull. i saw it for $5 at a store that sells now books, but deeply discounted.

i am enjoying it very much, and im glad i came across it, as we will be in paris and london in september (first time).

btw, theres nothing about grocery stores (so far, anyway) that would lead me to think its the same book wliwl mentioned, but youve probably ascertained that already.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:42 AM

http://www.hwelty.com/ Harriet Welty Rochefort has written a couple of books, French Toast and French Fried. She is from the US and married a French man, lived in Paris and raised two sons. Really a funny book.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Are you thinking about Polly Platt's book, "French or Foe?"

http://www.pollyplatt.com/pages/frenchfoe.htm
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:02 AM

"Paris to the Moon" is great. It was written by a man, however. Very entertaining and informative. His accounts of trying to join a new health club are priceless...the staff could not comprehend why anyone would want to buy a membership where you could work out every day. His wife got pregnant while they were there...the accounts of the trips to the OB are great...no gowns for the examinations...the OB just in street clothes, wearing lots of gold chains. It's a terrific book.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Another vote for "Paris To The Moon" none of the, "...and all of a sudden I simply packed up everything and found this cute little house in France with no trouble at all" kind of stuff.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:02 AM

I read "Paris to the Moon" last year and found it mildly disappointing. His take on the fashion industry was all wrong, in my opinion. I think the book is for "outsiders looking in." Insiders may disagree with Adam's assessment of Parisians, however. I know my best friend did; she was born and has lived all of her life in Paris.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Cadogan guides has a series on living abroad in various countries . . .

cadoganguides.com
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM

I also recommend Sarah Turnbull's Almost French. Even though she is from Australia, I think Australians have more in common with Americans than with the French in terms of mannerisms, lifestyle and culture. At least it seemed that way from the way she described her experiences and frustrations. It's an easy, quick read, and very insightful.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM

I'm about half way through a delightfully funny book about a young expat businessman's year in Paris, working with a French staff. Called, "A year in the Merde", it was written by Stephen Clarke, who writes comedy for the BBC. The jacket says it was published in English in Paris in 2004, and became a word-of-mouth hit among expats and French, alike.

Enjoying it very much.

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Le Divorce?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:12 AM

You're thinking of the Suzy Gersham book "C'est la Vie". Suzy writes the "Born to Shop" guides. Her husband suddenly dies and she moves to Paris.

I'd really didn't like this book. Because she is a well-known travel writer, she is very well connected in Parisian society. The book is basically dropping names about all the great parties she attended, etc. Not realistic for the average person (ie., non-celebrity) to expect if they move to Paris. Also, she thought that $10,000 was a bargain to furnish ONE room of her apartment. Please...

I threw the book across the room when her son was depressed about the death of his father so he went to Pere Lachaise cementary alone to grieve. Suzy writes for pages about how she and her husband were best friends with Jim Morrison...Is there someone she isn't friends with?

If you like celebrity gossip, pick this one up. But, for clues how average people move to Paris and carve out a life, try Sara Turnball's "Almost French".
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:59 PM

hey...thx for some more recommends. i would also like to read peter mayles books.

missypie - no gowns for the doc or the patient...or just not for the doc?!

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:57 AM

No gowns for the patient...the author's wife was just naked for the exams. No one seemed to mind except the author. The doctor was just in street clothes, making it seem even more weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -