Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the best thing you bought in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying in Venice in September and I love to shop. What is the best thing you bought in Venice? Doesn't have to be big ticket item - Murano glass jewellery, lace etc?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Really personal tastes but I love these paper weights by 3Fiori.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...sunorimasuko/?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:42 AM
ira

Hi B,

Saffron at a spice shop near the Rialto market.

Much better than what I get here.

We also have some masks, Venetian glass bowls and goblets, etc.

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM

bmwoods72:

I bought a framed lace fan in Burano.

An old woman at the Burano lacemaking school directed me to the shop, whispering conspiratorially that it was the only authentic one on the island. She may have had a part interest in the shop for all I know, but I headed there, purchased the lovely fan and a delightful lace tablecloth.

(At the shop, called L’estroza on Via S. Martino sinistro, I was told a dozen different lacemakers had a hand in creating it. Looking around, I could see humble artisans sitting about, working their lace designs. I was putty in their hands.)

The lace fan hangs in our dining room. I tell everyone it comes from the only authentic lace shop on Burano.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I was 15 - I bought 6 champagne flutes and 6 cordial glasses. (What a pompous little git I was!)
That was in 1966 ...ahem, still have 'em. OUCH?! Are the antiques?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:35 AM

An incredible red leather purse and matching overnight bag. Love it!!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:43 AM

ira, at the Drogheria on Ruga dei Spezieri, right? Their saffron is really good, I, too, have always some at home.

Most "best things" Venetian are food-related, for me:
- moeche (see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34791666 for explanation)
- gò, the world's best soup fish
- the freshest scampi and prawns of all varieties, notably mazzancolle
- the very best zucchini I've ever sampled (from S. Erasmo island)
- radicchio tardivo di Treviso

Else?
- custom-made bronze towel rails for my bathroom - in Venice, there are still smiths!
- ebru (the famous & beautiful hand-printed paper that Venice has inherited from the Turks, used for boxes, book covers and so on)
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:49 AM

I know this guy who got a Statute of David apron. Looks best when worn with no shirt.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Hand made masks from a craftsman in a booth near Rialto.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:26 AM
MaureenB

There is wonderful, and inexpensive, glass jewelry at many shops in Venice. Especially if you wander away from the crowded streets. It's easy to transport. I wish I'd bought more of it. There were some nice earring and necklace sets for only about 40EU.
>-

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Several years ago, my son bought a Murano glass faucet with water dripping into a glass. It was about 20 inches tall and then packed in a box with a tie handle. When we arrived at AA desk for our departure back to the states-PROBLEM! It was too large for carry-on and he refused of course, to check it. We were delayed forever waiting on someone to come up with a solution. Some wonderful person did..they seated us in First Class and placed the box in their closet. WOW!!! what luck for us.

Then on another trip, I had purchased a crystal UZI for my husband. It was in my carry-on. When I went through security check-in, the crystal gun showed on the screen as a gun due to the lead content.
I was quickly surrounded by security agents and whisked away leaving my 18 year old son speechless and a little scared. This was in 1983 long before 911. VERY EMBARRASSING for me and my son. They finally took the crystal gun from me and turned it over to a flight attendent. As soon as when were seated, she returned it to me saying she didn't want to be responsible for that expensive item. Go figure.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought a pair of earrings (they were not inexpensive) artisan-made blown glass and silver.

What I coveted but did not buy was those beautiful silk sconce lampshades.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:50 AM
MaureenB

Suze, a friend of ours recently renovated their home and used lots of Venetian glass sconces and light fixtures in baths, dining room, den, etc. It is very striking.

Do you at all remember the name of the vendor you liked in Venice? Maybe there's a website. I need to upgrade some lighting in my kitchen, so I'm interested in glass sconces like you mention. Thanks!
>-

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:51 AM
MaureenB

P.S. Suze, maybe I misread. Were they silk sconces, not glass ones?
>-

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:12 AM

Silk ties in a shop on Piazza San Marco. They're beautiful and incredibly inexpensive.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:32 AM

I have brought home beautiful papers, watercolors and engravings, but the thing that was "best" was what I didn't buy. We wandered down a small canal and came upon a silversmith putting the finishing touches on a wonderful 4" tall Pulcinella...perfectly detailed. I didn't buy it and have regretted it since. Guess who will be walking the canals of Venice this fall and guess what she will be trying to find again???
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:49 AM

an adorable pair of glass frogs
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
My mother loves the case for her glasses that we bought her in a shop in an arcade at the Piazza San Marco. When I was a kid, people who went to Italy would always bring back printed leather items like these as gifts, but I only saw them in this one shop.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, bm,

last year i was lucky enough to go to Rome, Florence and venice, all in separate trips. I bought much more in Venice than in both the other two combined.

My purchases included a lovely bright watercolour [from a shop round the side of the Frari], a colourful winter scarf for DD, a pair of black shiney wellies in case of flood, but now used by DD to clean out the donkeys, [nothing so smart here in Cornwall] some beautiful glass jewelry, a box of chocolate powder for making hot chocolate, a T-shirt for DS [he gets one from everywhere we go] and a very tacky glass wine bottle stopper!

I could have bought much more, but couldn't carry it! I'd love to go back, just for the shopping.

regards, ann
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Hand stamped papers, many from a small shop in one of the campos on the way to Accademia, Campo Stefano I think. I use panels of them to embellish gifts and bags.

Fortuny pillows, often from several pieces sewn together, again from one of the shops in the same area as the papers, not Bevil Aqua but one like that.

At a glass shop on the main drag in Dosoduro area, bought a glass pendant lamp (had it shipped) that is now in my kitchen and brings back memories daily.

Again in Dorsoduro, half a block before you get to the Guggenheim, there is a wonderful little paper shop that also sells rubber stamps; I got an embellished initial stamp and use it for note cards and also to "seal" envelopes. I've bought initial-stamped note cards there for very classy holiday gifts at a reasonable price.

I do pick up glass beads, necklaces, and the like from the Rialto markets and some shops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -