what's the best pizza in Naples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my family and i are going to take a day trip to Naples on our christmas trip ti Italy. What's a great pizza place or any resturant for that matter. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 01:32 PM

The most famous pizzeria is Da Michele, but the pizza is TERRIBLE -- like a wet rag with a dribble of runny, flavorless sauce.

Far better, is Brandi, where we had a great pizza, and unlike Da Michele (which has two types -- plain and seafood, albeit with very little seafood on the pizza), Brandi has many varieties.

Michael
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 01:35 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree, and think that Da Michele pizza is awesome and the one at Brandi's is mediocre. The pizza that I had at Da Michele was crisp, thin, and tasty -- all for about €6 back in 2005.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 02:43 PM

Another vote for Da Michele, which was cheap and delicious! It is a no frills experience where you sit with other customers at long tables but lots of fun. A more upscale pizzeria I loved in Napoli was Porta D'Alba near Piazza Dante I think. Da Michele does not have seafood pizza but Marinara and Margherita.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 05:45 PM

That's funny. I ordered the margherita, and the person next to me told me they ordered the marinara (which I thought meant "marine" or something like that), and I didn't see any seafood on it. I still stand by my opinion though -- we waited for over an hour to eat a sauce-covered dishrag.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 05:49 PM

In my humble opinion two things that do not belong on a pizza -- seafood and pineapple!

I'm unsure now what place we first went to in Naples but it was "supposed to be the best and most famous". Neither of us liked it. I thought it was tasteless and Lee hated the fact that the entire bottom was black and tasted burned.
Last time we sought out a funny little place that seemed to be jammed with locals in an area of markets and we had wonderful pizza. I can't believe I never wrote down the name for my journal.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 05:50 PM

ooops. Sorry. I don't regard anchovies as seafood; I love them on pizza. LOL
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:05 PM

The best ever is at Sorbilla, on via Tribunali. Not as famous, or as overrated, as Brandi or Michele, authentic, cheap, and absolutely delicious. And the coffee in Naples is thje best ever. It is a very cool city, as well.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:10 PM

I'm a pizza aficionado and was not impressed with the 3 different pizza places I visited last month in Naples -- so keep your expectations in check. (I found the pizza to be "weak" - undercooked, soggy, with uninspiring ingredients in terms of quality.)

If you want great pizza, you can't beat Lombardi's, Grimaldi's, and Nick's here in New York City.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:19 PM

I have to add ... what is "cool" about Naples? My two most prominent memories of Naples are burning piles of garbage in the streets and stray dogs.

Yes, the garbage was not only prevalent, it was often <i>on fire</i>.

Italy has so much to offer ... Naples is at the absolute bottom of my list.

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:42 PM

I was less than impressed with pizza in Italy, although one I had in Rome was a surprisingly good one.

I'm with Gekko on Lombardi's in NYC. Now that's good eatin'.

Jules
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM

As a matter of fact, I ate at Da Michele's just last month (although it does seem like 10 years ago). I ordered a pizza with anchovies, and my usual Nastro Azzuro beer. As always, I liked the beer, but was distinctly underwhelmed by the pizza-nothing special at all. It may be famous, but I tell you, the pizza in Rome overall is FAR better than what I had in Naples, and I only ate pizza twice, there. The following 2004 article in the NY Times I perused recently concerning their &quot;pizza law&quot; may give the reasons why so many of us were not impressed with Michele's-even other Neapolitan pizza makers say Brandi's and Michele's use cheaper ingredients, and thus, are not &quot;good pizza.&quot;

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/09/di...rtner=USERLAND

As far as good restaurants in Naples, drummindave, I mentioned on another post the name of an excellent seafood restaurant on Via Foria in Naples, just across from the Botanical Gardens, and down from the archaeological museum:

A FIGLIA DO MARINARO-Via Foria-pizzeria/ristorante-specializing in seafood

Some of the best, frehest seafood I've had anywhere in Italy. It is a very local restaurant, all of the tables are outside, under big white tents on the sidewalks, and there is a crowd of Neapolitani (very few, if any tourists) there every night (also open for lunch). They have excellent house-made desserts as well-a highlight of my trip to Naples (probably the only one).
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:47 AM

Sorry, but I've had pizza all over Italy and I still don't think it was any better, and sometimes not as good, as some I've had here in the US.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:13 AM

If you can't get into Da Michele, try Pizzaria Trianon, Via Colletta 46, just around the corner. Some consider this 83 year old pizzaria better. We had lunch there a couple years ago..great place, noisy, filled with locals and the DOC margharita and prosciutto pizza were excellent.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:33 AM

Here's another vote for the pizza at Trianon. We were there last November and both the pizza and atmosphere were a treat. Deborah
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:37 AM
Pausanias

I've never had a bad pizza in Naples, nor a good one in Rome. American pizza is ok if you can find a place that doesn't over-do the cheese and the toppings.

But your question concerns the best pizza in Naples, and unfortunately the best one I ever had was at a street corner shop somewhere on one of the routes back from the Archaeological Museum to the train stattion.

Find the place where three roads meet. If you see a plastic tables and chairs outside at the top of the &quot;Y&quot;, crates of beer and softdrinks stacked on the concrete floor within, nothing on the menu but pizza and just a counter to place your order, that's the one.

Or maybe you'll find another one just as good.

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:42 AM

Hmm. I finally found that our first pizza in Naples (1997) was at Lombardi's, where a local sent us as the &quot;BEST&quot;. That's the one we didn't think much of -- burnt and tasteless.

For my money, the best pizzas I've had anywhere have been in Southern France -- Nice and Cannes for example.

In Rome we did that DaBuffeto place that everyone raves about. It was a &quot;fun&quot; experience, but the pizza was nothing memorable to me.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:43 AM

I enjoyed a pretty good pizza in Rome, very near the Colosseo, <b>Triclinium</b>.

www.triclinium.com
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM

Dick-there's no problem &quot;getting into Michele's&quot; it's not some fancy sit-down restaurant! You can go to their pizza window on the side and order it to go if you like-the problem is, it's just not that good, and the NY Times article explains why, in part-cheaper ingredients-they already have the reputation, so they know the tourists will seek them out, so why not make more of a profit by making a mediocre pizza? No one will know the difference!

And I do agree with Dukey, there are many pizza jplaces in this country, particularly in NYC- that make far better pizza than what you'll get in Italy, and even in the home of pizza-Naples. Although I've had excellent pizza in Rome, but that's probably the only place-I rarely order pizza in Italy, anyway.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:07 AM

The best pizza anywhere that we've found is to be had at La Pizza, in Marseille, France. Wow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -