What's the best beach in Croatia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read through so many posts about the beaches in Croatia but would like some definitive names of actual beach or resort areas to research. Are most of the beaches on the islands or can they be found on the mainland? I'm looking for a beach that is nice for kids/family, as close to sand as possible and not too crowded in June - also not a party crowd. We'll probably spend some time touring the major cities in Croatia and Slovenia and would like to end with a few nice, relaxing days on a beach. Can anyone recommend some nice beach areas and hotels that would be suitable for families?
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:26 AM

It's been a few years since I've been to Croatia, and I have a poor memory to start with, but my parents took us (I was 17, my brother 15) to Sibenik and we absolutely loved it.

The beach there is rocky, not sandy. There just seemed to be a lot to do in the town - we have good memories of eating fancy ice cream sundaes on a patio overlooking the water, taking scenic walks, etc. Another beach I remember was Biograd na Moru, which had more of a sandy beach, but wasn't as pretty of a town. Maybe things have changed in the 15 years since I've been there, though.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Just so you know-not sure what you expect in terms of beaches-but virtually all the beaches are small, pebbly or rocky, and you're likely to find nude or half-nude people anywhere.
That said-we had a great time on the rocks below Dubrovnik. There is also a nice beach near the Excelsior Hotel, and some nice small beaches on Lovran, an island off Dubrovnik.
We also took a boat to the island (Palmisana?) off Hvar and enjoyed the beaches there, even though they were small and pebbly.
I'm told the nicest beach is on the island of Bol, though we didn't get there.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Are there any "decent" beaches in northern Croatia - say Rijeka? We were planning to drive from Italy. I just realized that it's about 12 hours to Southern Croatia from Milan!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 04:27 PM

topping...
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Rijeka is a big industrial port...maybe Opatja? Or one of the islands off the northern coast? We didn't have any beach time in northern Croatia.
You might also want to post on www.visit-croatia.co.uk for recommendations.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:18 PM

Omigod! Nude people! Run for the hills! >-)

Most of the beaches in Northern Croatia are pebble. They can be very nice but it is difficult to find sand. Farther South it is easier, ie Hvar etc. The islands of Cres, Krk and Mali Losinj have beautiful beaches and are easy to reach from Slovenia and Northern Italy. Krk even has a bridge. All are suitable for families. In June, it won't be too crowded but in July and August, the sea will be human soup.

If your children are old enough, you may enjoy spending time in the Soca River Valley. It is one of the most beautiful areas with a crystal clear river, rife with rapids and waterfalls. White water rafting is popular there and very affordable, as is kayaking and canyoning.
Cheers,
Jan