What's open in Milan on a Monday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe that, with all our planning, I didn't realize that our only full day in Milan is a Monday. It seems that most museums are closed. We've asked our hotel to try to get us tickets to the Last Supper on Sunday afternoon (6/3), but I bet it's too late for that as well. I'm so mad at myself!

So, any thoguhts about activities on Sunday afternoon and Monday all day? We'll be taking the train from Venice on that Sunday. Since we've never been to Milan, just walking the streets and shopping will be fun, but I'd love some suggestions from those who love the city. Our flight to the USA leaves Tuesday morning, so we'll have to leave for the airport first thing.

Thanks,

-Margret
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Your message says you are trying for tickets for "6/3", if that means June 3 that is a Saturday. Sunday is June 4. Hopefully that is just a typo in your message, and you didn't tell the hotel to get tickets for 6/3. (Also, if you wrote the hotel and said you wanted tickets for "6/3", they may have thought you mean March 6, as that is how the date would be written in Europe. If you wrote 6/3/06 then they probably understood that you mean this year not March 2007, they may get you tickets for Saturday, nothwithtanding the fact that you arrive on Sunday...)

In any event, rather than waiting for the hotel, you can call the convent in which the Last Supper is located yourself and ask about tickets. To book, phone: 39-02-894-21146 (Mondays-Fridays 9.00am-6.00pm, Saturdays 9.00am-2.00pm, note that Milan is 6 hours ahead of EST) The English-speaking operator will give you a code number for the time and date of your visit. You can then collect and pay for tickets on the day of your visit, at least half an hour before the scheduled time.

The Duomo is open on Monday and should certainly be on your list. There is also a museum in the Duomo that is worth a stop, and certainly go up to the roof and take in the great views. The musuem in La Scala opera house is open, go to http://www.teatroallascala.org/publi...ala/index.html for info, you might want to check that site to see if there are any performances on Sunday or Monday that you might want to attend. The Galleria right near by will be open. You are lucky IMO to be there on a Monday as all the ltitle boutiques are in the Duomo area will be open, many people are there on Sunday when they are closed.(Note that some of these may be closed on Monday morning, but will be open by the afternoon, go to the Duomo and La Scala in the morning.) I always think when I am in one of these little shops that in 10 years one of these people will be the next Versace and I will have a little piece of history.... The fantastic Peck's Deli, minutes from the Duomo is also open (and is in fact closed on Sunday, so you are lucky). The main Armani shop is open (it is also open on Sunday.) I would also recco the Brea distrcit, full of antiquie shops and boutiquese and the lovely San Marco church is worth a visit and I belive there is a flea market in the area on Monday mornings (please ask your hotel about this I have not been), and this area is good for just walking around and is not very will touristed, esp compared to the Dumo area. (And I imagine even less so on a Monday when the nearby Brea museum is closed.) If you just like wandering lovely historica areas, I don't think you wil have any trouble on Monday ifyou stick to these areas.

June is lovely weather as well, great for sitting in cafes and people-watching. Consider a drink or lunch at the Bulgari hotel for some serious people-watching.

Peck's Deli
7-9 Via Spadari

This is the main deli and more casual bistro type restaurant, it is just off via Spadari, literally two minutes from the Duomo.

Cracco-Peck
Via Victor Hugo 4
Milan

This is their Michelin 2-star restaurant, which I have not tried, you might want to read reviews first. It is around the corner from the deli.

Milan Bvlgari
Via Privata Fratelli Gabba 7B

Old May 18th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Cicerone, thanks for all that information. You are certainly living up to your screen name. I'll print it and carry it with me.

This is Larry writing; both Margret and I post as "justretired". Margret is the original poster, and she made an error in the date. We will be arriving in Milan Sunday afternoon June 4, and our full day in Milan will be Monday, June 5.

In writing the hotel, I used the convention adopted by Eisenhower during WWII to prevent confusion over dates: I wrote "4 June". I never use pure numeric dates when writing to Europe.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. With only a day, it sounds as if there will be plenty to do. Thanks also for the phone number for reservations. We may also give that a try. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Back to my panicky last-minute packing.

- Larry
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:32 PM

I'm bookemarking since I will be in Milan in August.Thanks,Cicerone
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:34 PM

BOOKMARKING