Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's near this location in Rutland, England?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can exchange into a timeshare in Rutland, Leicestershire, the Barnsdale Hall Hotel. Can anyone help me with what the best daytrips would be from this location, say 1 to 1-1/2 hour drive each way? Or maybe 2 hours for something that sounds particularly good to us. Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:15 PM

I've stayed there a couple of times. the location is great. Within short drives are Burghley House (a fabulous stately home), Stamford (a neat little town w/ a world famous open air shakespeare theatre), Rutland water which is HUGE, Oakham, Belvior House, Kirby Hall (a really interesting ruines manor house), Boughton House, the Triangle Lodge and a bunch of other places - none of these are even an hour away.

For farther you can go to the potteries around Stoke on Trent, the Peak District, Kings Lynn, or even up to York or down to Cambridge..
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Susan...
lucky you! Barnsdale Hall has nationally famous gardens and is set on the shores of Rutland Water - the UK's largest man-made lake amongst some of the country's prettiest yet least visited countryside.

Very close by (7 miles)is the charming market town of Stamford. Un unspoilt Georgian gem of mellow yellowing stone. Used often for filming historical dramas (notably Middlemarch which I imagine was shown on US TV about 10 years ago) it is dominated by Burleigh House - England's premiere Elizabethan Country House. Burleigh itself is home to world famous horse trials each summer and antiques fairs regularly.... I bet if you Google Burleigh House you'll get loads.

Search on this site for Stamford... I know its been mentioned before.

more to follow....
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:29 PM

In the other direction to Stamford are Oakham and Melton Mowbray... two quaint English county towns and a further 20 miles is the busy city of Nottingham which boasts some of the finest shopping in the UK (currently ranked 6th in the country) where you can also tracj down: Nottingham Lace, Robin Hood, the castle and the caves.

Also within easy striking distance are Belvoir Castle (home to the Duke & Duchess of Devonshire) a grand stately pile, Newark - the centre of the UK antiques trade, & Lincoln.

Search this site for Lincoln, there was recently a very thorough discusion about all things Lincoln and Lincolnshire.

As Janis has said York is doable by car and the Peak District National Park is about 1.5 hours away and includes Chatsworth House (another home of the Devonshires)which is truly truly impressive - and thats just the amazing gardens and water features let alone the interior too!

Oakham (see above) is on the same train line as Cambridge which would make for a stress free day out with next to no driving - asuming the rail service is not acting up.

And Peterborough with its beautiful cathedral is about half an hour away from you.

There are literally dozens of villages close by with wonderful pubs and restaurants which I can give you pointers for if you wish.

Finally.. don't forget London is less than an hour by train from P'boro so a day trip to the metrop is really simple too.

I hope you take this opportunity and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in the East Mids.

These replies are really just to give you a flavour of the locale - if you wish for more specifics please just askand I'll do what I can - and don't forget to use the seach facility on this site for some of the places Janis and I have mentioned... you'll find plenty of great info.

Bon vacances!

Dr D.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 05:24 PM

This website might help you find some places of interest nearby

http://www.staplefordpark.com/locati...tractions.html

If you are into antiques and are there on the right dates the shows at Newark are fantastic! And you are in the heartland of stilton cheese!!!

Antiques and great cheese ,,,what more could anyone want!
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 06:54 PM

Isn't that where the Ruttles got their start?
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 08:23 PM

Dr_DoGood: One tiny correction -- I believe Belvior is the family home of the Duke and Duchess of Rutland - not Devonshire. (The Devonshires own enough of the UK w/o giving them Belvior too)
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:29 AM

So, nearby Susan you could (as others have said) go and see a shakespere play - http://www.stamfordshakespeare.co.uk/default.htm

In the summer, people take picnics and eat in the grounds before the play starts. It is a very popular thing to do, so book ahead.

Depending on when you visit, there is the Burghley Horse Trials at Burghley House, which is a huge international 3 day event. Very good fun, even if you are not into horses. The whole area will be very busy when that is on.

The nearest castle is Rockingham Castle, which is set in an attractive traditional (local) stone village. The pub looks nice in the village, but I have never managed to get there so far.

You could visit the North Norfolk coast which is very nice. Places such as Blakeney, Holkham etc are nice and generally not tacky as many English seaside resorts are.

There are loads of good places to eat at hidden away in the villages and in Oakham and Stamford. If you want some names of places, give email me, or post back here and I will let you know.

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:33 AM

I forgot to mention a very important point.

Barnsdale is in Rutland and not Leicestershire. A very important point to remember when you are there as it is a sensitive issue locally
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone for all this info! I will certainly do the searches. This is the first time I've posted without doing some first, but I wasn't going to have access to my computer last evening or early this am, and I have to decide today (they're holding the reservation until tonight), so I appreciate the responses. We would be going in October. It sounds as though there's a lot in this area that we would enjoy (small towns, antiques, pottery, cheese, Robin Hood, stately homes, etc., plus I'd love to go to York), so I think I'll take it. I would love your additional info, Dr. DoGood & Marz, as well as anything anyone else has to offer. (By the way, Marz, when I looked on the map, I wasn't positive if it was in Leicestershire, so thanks! I know some people get very touchy about that sort of thing.)
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:41 AM

When are you going in October..there is a HUGE antiques fair at Newark about that time. Closer to the time check this website...http://www.antiques-web.co.uk/

for info...It is worth going out of the way for!
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Jody, Thanks for that website. I will be sure to check it out. We'll be there Oct 16-23.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:03 AM

Places to eat then.

The closest place to Barnsdale Country club is Barnsdale Hotel (you will ass it everytime you leave).

Also try the Finches Arms pub in Hambleton which you will need to book ahead.

Frattelis in Stamford for Italian is good (book ahead - try to get a table in the cellar).

The George Hotel in Stamford is good. The Garden room is very popular, but cannot be booked ahead, just turn up and wait for a table (in nice surroundings). It is a very nice english style hotel. It also has a more formal dining room which can be booked.

The Kings Arms at Wing is good.
The Blue Ball at Braunston is good.
The Noel Arms at Langham is good (note Langham, not the Noel Arms in Whitwell).

Just some initial thoughts, more later...

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Marz, this is great! Thanks, and keep it coming...
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 09:01 AM

OK Susan, more place to eat and drink.

The Coachman at South Luffenham is a very nice place to eat and drink, book ahead as its popular.

Nicks Restaurant in Oakham is very nice, with nice surroundings (again, book ahead).

If you want to really spend some serious money, then you could try Hambleton Hall (in Hambleton) which has a Michelin star.

Another Michelin Star pub/restuarant is the Olive Branch in Clipsham

http://www.hambletonhall.com
http://www.nelsons-house.com (Nicks)

Any more ?

Old Nov 24th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Hi
Can I recommned Newstead Abbey in Nottinghamshire as another great place to visit (www.newsteadabbey.org.uk). It has strong links with Byron but is a wonderful place to visit even if you don't know anything about the poet.
M
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 11:47 AM

Hi Susan,
Well Marz has certainly given you some great places to eat; I would strongly recommend for a final splurge before your return home that Hambleton Hall can't be beaten, but its true the Olive runs it close.
Hambleton is owned by the Harts who also have an eponymous restaurant in Nottingham close to the castle which is also spectacularly good, ditto (in Nott'm) World Service, Saltwater and Sonny's.
Out of Nottingham half way to Belvoir castle is The Sanctuary at Saxondale (close to a little town called Bingham - nothing to shout about) which is a rising star in the East Midlands, and closer to Belvoir, at Redmile, is The Peacock - a decent gastopub.
In Lincoln, the Wig & Mitre on Steep Hill (and it is!) has been consistently excellent for the last fifteen years, and they also operate another excellent gastropub called The Caunton Beck at Caunton near Newark.

Closer to you near Melton Mowbray can be found The Crown at Old Dalby - a wonderful pub/restaurant with no cellars but all the beer drawn directly from the barrels stacked up on racks behind the bar - wonderful beers and truly exceptional food.

All these little out-of-the-way places are truly off the beaten path; check www.viamichelin.com for directions and I suggest you invest in a decent 3miles to an inch road atlas of the UK.They can be picked up at any largish garage (sorry- gas station!) for about a tenner.

Finally, excellent suggestion of Morgana's to include Newstead, you may also like to consider both or one of either Clumber Park or Rufford Park, two more of "The Dukeries" to the north and north east of Nottingham.

Finally finally, I don't think anyone of us has yet mentioned Southwell with its Georgian town houses, gracious lawns and wonderful little Minster Church (or not so little) - it's the premier Cathedral in the Midlands and is simply wonderfully preserved and both a delight and surprise to find in this little town of 7500 souls.

Don't be afraid to ask anymore questions - it seems there's a fair few of us on this board who can wave a flag for the forgotten/ignored East Midlands.

PS Thanks Janis, for the Belvoir correction - too many bloody aristo's and I get easily confused, It's drastic i know but let's take the practical French solution to the thorney problem!

PPS Susan, finally finally finally - and I don't mean to patronise - but if you're thinking of going to Belvoir remember its pronounced "Beaver". The locals get a bit uppity about these things.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 12:32 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned Eyam.. a "plague village". Which is either in the peak district or close to it. My husband and I had a very enjoyable day there, if you are interested in History. It's a charming town.. we also hiked though a positively lovely place called Monsdale Head.. which was simply georgous. But note, if you are going to be there in February, as we were, many of the grand houses and museums in that area will be closed for winter and they open up again around the end of March.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

This is great! It sounds as though there is enough to keep us busy for much longer than a week! Thanks to Marz & Dr. DoGood for all the additional information, we certainly won't have to wonder about where to eat. I've done some searches here and also checked out Jody's websites (thanks), as well as Morgana's suggestion and it all sounds good. I really appreciate all the input, and feel free to add anything else you think of. I'm very interested in the lace in Nottingham...is there a certain place that's best to shop for some? Thanks!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Almost forgot, Thyra, could you tell me more about Eyam? I am interested in history. I assume you mean that it was a village decimated by the plague, but what's there now that you enjoyed? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -