What's It All About, Amalfi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be on the Amalfi Coast in May, do you have any recommendations for restaurants that are affordable and tasty? Thanks.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 03:51 PM

We spent May of 2000 on the Almalfi Coast -- also Capri -- and the food was wonderful ,,, but the very best was cooked by Netta at her restaurant in Ravelo, Cumpa Cosimo. Her rabbits are raised in Heaven by San Francis, which is why her rabbits are incredibly juicy and delicous. We ate there 3 times, once having meatballs like none other I've had in my life. A work of art. [We stayed at Villa Cimbrone an incredibly beautiful hotel]<BR>In Positano we had an excellent lunch at La Cambusa. We also had a delightful lunch at Lo Scoglio in Marina di Cantone.<BR>We found the best restaurant on Capri to be La Capannina.<BR>Sorrento was our least favorite stop. Nor did we have much luck with restaurants in Amalfi.<BR>Hope this is helpful <BR>
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 03:57 PM

Hi Natalia. Love your thread title! <BR><BR>If you find yourself in Sorrento, and hungry, we really liked our meal at the Sorrento Inn, in the narrow streets of th old town.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:26 PM

We had a lovely and lunch at Chez Black in Positano. Our Italian cousin brought us there and we enjoyed it thoroughly. Friendly service, good food and down by the beach with glorious views. We were treated so I'm not sure about the price though.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 06:19 PM

I too would recommend Cumpa Cosima, La Cambusa and Chez Black. Also in Montepertusso above Positano are Da Costantino and Donna Rosa.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:40 PM
lkj

There is a wonderful pizzeria (I'm sorry I don't remember the exact name), but it had fantastic italian food, not just pizza. The location was fabulous, right on the ocean. An elevated wooden deck with trees growing through it. It's at water level north of the main beach. We ate at Le Sirenuse and many other great restaurants, but this was fun and you couldn't beat the food or, of course, the price!
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for all the tips, I will try them all. lkj, is the place in Amalfi?<BR><BR>Any more? I have heard Massa Lubrense has some good pizza places. Thanx again!
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:15 PM

We hiked up 2000+ old stone stairs for 1-1/2 hours last November from just south of Positano to the little car-less village of Nocelle. Needless to say, we did not pass any tourists along the way. That was a good thing. We took many breathing breaks (to breathe), and took in the awesome views of Positano, the surrounding hills, the Med., and to distant Capri (great visibility that day). When we finally reached the village we wondered through and found tiny &quot;Trattoria Santa Croce.&quot; There was only a couple of businessmen. Our table next to the window and gave us the same great views that we got from the trail, only higher up. The food was great, and very inexpensive. Then we walked back down to Positano, though a different way completing a big circle. It was a highlight of the trip. You could, alternatively take the bus up from Positano (drops you off at the entrance of the village), but I don't think it would have nearly the same impact that way.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Sounds great! I do want to take the hiking tours from the Sunflower book, and the one you mentioned sounds like something I would really like to do. <BR>Did you try any of the other hikes as well?
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:38 PM

BTW, I just wanted to mention that Tratorria Santa Croce was very good homestyle cooking, but my no means luxurious. You will get clearer views from the trail (I think the windows were a little dirty, so I had the waitress open ours and that was much better). The town was a charm to walk through. That entire hike including lunch took around 4 hours at a moderate pace. In Amalfi we walked through the town to the Paper Mill Museum, which is tiny, but interesting. We did a daytrip from Sorrento to Capri. I've heard about many bad experiences with daytrips there (the people who stay there swear you can't take a decent daytrip), but we manged to have an awesome one. We took Rick Steve's advice and got the heck out of town ASAP off the boat. On the way out we stopped at his recommended stop for picnic provisions. We continued the hike to Villa Jove. Then we went to Arco Naturale where we had our picnic lunch. Absolutely magical. We forged on down tons of stairs and all the way around to I Faraglioni (Capri's famous rocks) and Punta Tragara. I can't remember the name of the Monastery nearby, and then the park just above Via Krupp, but we wandered there which afforded pleasant and dramatic views. Finally we went back into Capri town and had a cafe before heading back to Sorrento. I think our hike took about 6 hours including stopping for lunch and many sightseeing stops. We only saw a handful of tourists on the trail, especially between Arco Naturale and Punta Tragara. We probably spent a total of 30 minutes in town, and that was enough. The outer residential areas were very pretty. I loved the little ceramic signs that had the house number and &quot;Name&quot; of the house (i.e. Villa Amarylis, La Quiete, etc....they all seemed to name their homes which I thought was charming). Each sign was handmade and unique.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:41 PM

The pizzeria in Positano is acalled something like &quot;O Garracino.&quot; It is along the seawall. When you walk to the beach look for the steps on the right and keep following them around to the right until you find the pizzeria. We were there in November so it was closed for the season, but it looked absolutely charming.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 10:45 AM

There is a good restaurant along the boat docks at Amalfi, but I cant remember the name, it has windows all around and good seafood.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 11:09 AM

I second the vote for Donna Rosa, and we loved our lunches and dinner at Chez Black. <BR><BR>Have fun!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 11:14 AM

I vote for Chez Black as well as the restaurant right next to Chez Black at the bottom of the big stairs.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:41 PM

We had one of the best dinners of our stay at Il Ritrovo, which is just down the block from Donna Rosa in Montpertuso, a tiny mountain village overlooking Positano. When we reserved, the chef sent his girlfriend to come get us at our hotel. She also drove us back after insisting that we take two homemade bottles of limoncello with us. You really couldn't ask for a better evening with more charming hosts or more delicious food, and quite reasonable!