Reload this Page >

What's fun in AMSTERDAM?

Search

What's fun in AMSTERDAM?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 02:04 PM
karen

What's fun in AMSTERDAM?

I'm unexpectedly going for the first time, NEXT WEEK, and don't have much time to research! What is essential to do/see/eat? I will be there six days...

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:01 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Wow, Karen! NICE! Amsterdam is a great city for walking and there is plenty of public transportation, too. Take normal precautions with respect to avoiding pickpockets, etc. If you're into art, then the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum are "musts". You might also want to check out the Anne Frank house; it's stark, but quite an experience. There are tons of reasonably-priced restaurants and the ubiquitous coffee shops (some even serve coffee, I think...). There are some interesting old churches to look over. Take a boat ride on the canals. For sure, pick up a guidebook! Check out some of the shops. For all of its colorful reputation, Amsterdam is a unique and beautiful European city built on a remarkably human scale. I can walk its streets and along its canals for days without ever becoming bored. Bon voyage!

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:46 PM
Andrew

As Jim says - please pick up a guide book ASAP. For Amsterdam, I recommend the Dorling Kindersley guide - lots of pictures, even a self-guided tour of some of the classic buildings along the canals. Amsterdam is also a confusing city to navigate without a map - you might even consider buying a map separate from your guidebook.<BR><BR>The Netherlands is not a big country - consider taking a day trip or two with the fabulous train system to one of a number of nearby cities, including Haarlem. See your book for a list of excursions. But, no need to spend the entire stay in the city of Amsterdam.<BR><BR>Andrew<BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 06:01 PM
Alice

We just came back from vacation. In Amsterdam, we rented bikes from Mac Bikes near the Hard Rock Caf&eacute; (there are other locations, too) and just cruised all around, stopping for snack and coffee, or museums.<BR>We also took the train to Enkhuizen, to visit the Zuiderzee Outdoor Museum, a very interesting recreation of typical Dutch village. It was chilly and not very crowded, didn't hear any other American voices there. We also walked into Enkhuizen and strolled around town a little bit, very pretty town.<BR>The train bit was very easy - buy the round trip ticket, show conductor if asked - no need to stamp it (compost it) like you do in France.<BR>We also went in 2000 and saw the above-mentioned museums, and my daypurse was &quot;picked&quot; of its coin purse while on the tram, so do take care.<BR>Also, you can check with Lindbergh Tours on Damstraat? I think - they provide 1/2 day bus tours to various towns / sights, that might be easy for you, too.<BR>We were there Oct 11-14, weather was 40-50F, occasional mist, full sun, overcast. Pack layers, a hat, gloves...

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 06:07 PM
Danna

Karen, one of the folks we met said that she loved taking a night canal trip every so often, and she lived there. The museums are amazing, but just walking around is cool too. Think of it as a first trip. On our second trip we figured out the trams, so our 3rd trip should a whole lot of fun! It'll be great. Try to eat ristaffel. Have a grand time!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:12 AM
jen

By all means rent a bike. If biking through Amsterdam seems daunting, take the train to a smaller town (Haarlem, Leiden, Delft, Gouda) and rent a bike at the train station, paying a bit extra for insurance, and bike like a local. In Delft you can get a free map just outside the train station from a computer printer that will highlight your route if you tell it to (to the Porcelyne Fles Delft Blue Factory, for instance). You can join a tour to Volendam etc. (north of Amsterdam) but you can also do it easily on your own. Try to find an outdoor market (the VVV, - tourist office - in any city or town can help you. Definitely try a rijstafel (Indonesian-colonial feast), perhaps at Kantil &amp; de Tijger on the Utrechtsestraat in Amsterdam, and try herring at any fish stand. Take a raincoat &amp; umbrella!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:48 AM
orgy7

go too a cofe house.. there is something so relaxing about smoking weed leagaly... and it's a very laid back social atmosphare with people of all ages just chillin..

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:33 AM
xyz

karen:<BR>I was there in June 2001 for 6 days.<BR>Some of the thing we did.<BR><BR>Canal Cruise. Both day time and night time. Any company will do they are pretty similar<BR><BR>Lindbergh Tours on Damrak. One tour took us to Asmeer, Rotterdam, Schievlingen (SP) and Delft. The other one was a full day trip that took us to Anterp and Brussels. Both were informative. not too expensive and fun.<BR><BR>Heineken Brewery. Newly renovated.Hhey you are in Amsterdam you must drink Heineken! Closed on Monday I think. There is a Pancake Restaurant not too far away in a building shaped like a carousal. YUM!<BR><BR>Rice Table We ate in Das Salong on Damrak. An enjoyable experience. We odered a &quot;small&quot; one. Lots of food.<BR><BR>Argentinian Steak House. If you are a steak lover, please stop in. Best steaks I have ever eaten.<BR><BR>Boom Chicago Show www.boomchicago.nl<BR>American expats do a comedy show. We had dinner and a great show. Food was pretty good too! <BR><BR>Anne Frank House. very very moving. get there early in the day or late in the afternoon.<BR><BR>As this was second trip, we had done the museums, Red Light District and Diamond tours the first time. You may want to see them this trip. Beautiful!<BR>Hope this helps you. Have a great time!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Jolande

The wax statue museum Madame Tussaud is nice. Boattrips are fun.<BR>Take warm clothes with you.<BR><BR>Its cold over here !!!<BR><BR>Greetings from the Netherlands.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:00 PM
little bit

For Karen, It's impossible to say since I don't know anything about what you like!! I was there for the first time June 2001 for 5 days (and did nothing like the above poster with similar time did~ haha) female, solo.<BR><BR>I loved the neighborhoods of Leidseplein &amp; Vondelpark. I didn't particularly like the central area at the train station, the Dam, red light district (except to stroll thru for the novelty of it and visit the Sex Museum).<BR><BR>I had great Greek and Italian food. Saw incredible fire-street-performers one night in a square in the Leidseplein. Of course coffeehouses, if that's of any interest to you.<BR><BR>I never took a tram or a river cruise. Just wandered around on foot. Went to the museum of the Tropics (because it was raining one day) which was strange but not a &quot;must do&quot; in my book.<BR><BR>I used &quot;Let's Go Amsterdam&quot; as my guidebook.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Alice

Hi, xyz... when you say &quot;Argentinian Steak House&quot;, is that a generic reference or is that an actual restaurant name? If generic, would you mind supplying the name of an Argentinian restaurant whose food was good? thanks.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Grasshopper

The Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House, Canal Boat tour, shopping, exploring lovely little canal neighborhoods.<BR><BR>There are Argentine Steak Houses all over Amsterdam. My favorite is El Rancho on Spui. Also, for good Indonesian Rice Table try Sarang Mas on Damracht (sp?).

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:30 AM
xyz

<BR><BR>El rancho is the one I enjoyed, though I did use a generic term as I could not remember the name of the restaurant. Let me see if I can find it.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:38 AM
xyz

<BR><BR>El rancho is the one I enjoyed, though I did use a generic term as I could not remember the name of the restaurant. Let me see if I can find it. <BR><BR>It is in the Hotel located next to Hotel Amsterdam on Damrak....I'll be cooked if I could remember. I'll look for my receipt.<BR>The name of the rice table is SARANG MAS. Sorry. Located not to far away from the other restaurant.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Alice

Thanks for the restaurant tips - was looking for additional spots for our next visit to Amsterdam... We had our first ristaffel (sp?) at Srilanka, between Leidseplein and museums area - we loved it!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 05:40 AM
aj

The name of the Argentine steakhouse is <BR>Argentinos, 34 Damstraat, Amsterdam, 020-6269455, open 1-2400. We also ate there and the food was very good. I loved the sauce they send out with the steak and chicken. Almost a sweet red pepper sauce. Enjoy!